Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Interesting Ram Air

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Bob-looking forward to hanging out with you and glad you are coming down (I still drive my dmax sub)

So you are saying that my stock LS air filter setup is illegal on my 1998 LS1 Camaro? And removing a headlight so that there is a clear path for air directly to an aftermarket air intake that resides in the engine compartment is legal?

Obviously I disagree that even the modified underside is creating a ram air since there is nothing that is sealed catching air and bringing it into a sealed enclosure that is ramming air into it. This is the way it has been explained to me by directors as to why removing the headlight isn't a ram air and it's only a cold air intake because there isn't a "duct" catching air from somewhere that then feeds a sealed ram air filter setup.

My understanding about the wording of the rule about not allowed, even if they were OEM stock has to do with the factory Ram Air setup that was an option and had to be plugged if you had that oem ram air on your car.

Here is an example of something that the directors dealt with when allowing the 98-02 LS car into the series that they didn't want allowed. http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...cars-with-a-c/
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    This subject is far too grey. We can easily and objectively prove whether or not this mod is legal. It's common knowledge that the LS1 airbox is restrictive, even the stock ram air boxes have larger inlets. If a ram air appearing intake has a leak, then it is NOT a ram air intake period. Again, this can be proven beyond a shadow of a doubt by taking before and after datalogs. IMO this is the only way to properly enforce this rule as merely blowing air in the direction of a cone air filter is again, abso-fucking-lutely NOT ram air. I say this as a director who basically runs a hot air intake. Thede if you're watching I zip tied that busted headlight cover back together and put it back on the car.
    RM CMC Director

LOL, after a weekend of racing you did that.

That and I relocated the ground that came loose in R4. The headlight cover was littering my trailer.
    RM CMC Director

Bryan relax man, you're gonna have a heart attack getting all amped up over nothing. The stock LS air filter setup is legal, always has been. The SS LS air intake is not.
    Al Fernandez

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Fernandez View Post
    Bryan relax man, you're gonna have a heart attack getting all amped up over nothing. The stock LS air filter setup is legal, always has been. The SS LS air intake is not.
    So is the stock LS air filter setup legal for a 93-97 that is running the LS motor?
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Junior Member Rookie
    Bryan
    I think You misunderstood me. Yes a stock LS air cleaner is legal. I am referring to the cutting out of the bottom of the stock air cleaner housing to allow forced air from the radiator ducting into the air cleaner box. That is what I refer to as illegal. The other stuff about headlight covers and such I have no comment right now. I would have to see the situation.
    Bob
    Bob Denton
    CMC #67
    Great Lakes Region

Perhaps an RCR is in order where we specify that a ram air appearing intake must prove via data that it is not boosting air pressure in the intake above atmospheric. I've never logged a motor with a restrictor before, that may get interesting. I imagine it drops a bit more as it approaches redline or else the engine wouldn't make less power. It can really get messy in the case of a gutted LS1 airbox because again, they are restrictive in stock form. Even without a restrictor you are going to see a pressure drop as you approach redline. Now if gutting the box decreases that pressure drop, it won't necessarily be because of any ram air effects. The mere act of relieving a restriction in the intake tract, which is what this does, can absolutely decrease that pressure drop approaching redline. Some ram air systems do just this. They don't boost above atmospheric, they can only help with the pressure drop. A good free flowing intake that isn't bothered by packaging constraints can perform the same if it is fed cold air. So how do we as CMC define ram air? This is a loaded subject where a guy could get screwed over at nats by trying to have a cold air intake but, as long as someone has money and perceives that he is looking at a competitor's ram air setup, can have him DQd depending on how the directors perceive the intake to perform. Here's my thought: if the logged pressure drop is less at the top of 4th gear than it is at the top of 1st, you're getting some benefit of ram air. This is the only fair way to police this, and is what a racer should be doing to protect themselves before fielding such a system.
    RM CMC Director

Wow talk about overcomplicating something that is really quite simple. The best way a racer can "protect themselves" is by not installing something that any reasonable person could construe as being able to provide increased air pressure at the intake. If you believe ram air doesn't actually work, then you have no reason to have anything other than a system that is obviously not capable of creating a ram air effect.
    Al Fernandez

Quote Originally Posted by Al Fernandez View Post
    Wow talk about overcomplicating something that is really quite simple. The best way a racer can "protect themselves" is by not installing something that any reasonable person could construe as being able to provide increased air pressure at the intake. If you believe ram air doesn't actually work, then you have no reason to have anything other than a system that is obviously not capable of creating a ram air effect.
    It's clear that some believe blowing cold air in the direction of a cone filter could be construed as ram air. I believe cold air is within the intent of the rules and would hate to see a racer get punished over someone's perception. The airbox trick is a free mod. If one can prove it isn't making ram air, then it too falls within the intent of the rules IMO.
    RM CMC Director