Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Interesting Ram Air

Interesting Ram Air

With an LT1 I would struggle to do anything like this but it got me thinking. What is stance on strategic trimming like in the attachment? It would work even with the OE ram air blocked off.

http://installuniversity.com/install...am_air_mod.htm

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    My stance is it ought to be legal. I know some would be opposed to it, so maybe try it and provide before/after MAP logs to prove MAP does not exceed atmospheric. Since the factory inlet is also left open this is really just a cold air intake in all reality.
    RM CMC Director

Quote Originally Posted by Supercharged111 View Post
    My stance is it ought to be legal. I know some would be opposed to it, so maybe try it and provide before/after MAP logs to prove MAP does not exceed atmospheric. Since the factory inlet is also left open this is really just a cold air intake in all reality.
    My assumption is that there is no way it is legal but I am curious. Does anyone have experience with this?

Well it's not legal for an LT1 because it puts the filter in a non-stock location, the argument then mounts for the LS1.
    RM CMC Director

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Supercharged111 View Post
    Well it's not legal for an LT1 because it puts the filter in a non-stock location, the argument then mounts for the LS1.
    LEGAL! You can move the air filter wherever you want as long as it still resides in the engine compartment or in a factory location. And you can do whatever you want with the filter setup like removing headlight covers, drilling holes everywhere as long as it doesn't create a ram air. Can't really argue it wouldn't be legal for an LT1 since it's a factory setup for the LS1 and you are allowed to update/backdate within 93-02.

*I hate the allowed chopping/cutting/drilling/removal of headlight covers to allow a straight shot of air hitting the filter that
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

I have done this on several LS street cars and it absolutely helps on the top end, Paul you need to buy a LS airbox ASAP and retrofit to your car.
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Quote Originally Posted by BryanL View Post
    LEGAL! You can move the air filter wherever you want as long as it still resides in the engine compartment or in a factory location. And you can do whatever you want with the filter setup like removing headlight covers, drilling holes everywhere as long as it doesn't create a ram air. Can't really argue it wouldn't be legal for an LT1 since it's a factory setup for the LS1 and you are allowed to update/backdate within 93-02.

*I hate the allowed chopping/cutting/drilling/removal of headlight covers to allow a straight shot of air hitting the filter that
    I'm hung up on the definition of in the engine bay, since the LS1 box draws from in front of the core support. Why are you against chopping stuff to slam an air filter with cold air? You need a sealed enclosure that far exceeds what GM offered to provide a ram air effect that exceeds atmospheric. At best, most ram air setups merely stave off the pressure drop a little longer, but even that becomes difficult to differentiate between a free flowing cold air setup. I feel our rules fall short in that respect. We really should objectively define criteria for determining what does and does not make a ram air setup instead of letting our subjective eyeballs decide that something appears to be a ram air setup.
    RM CMC Director

Blog Entries
    Where are we allowed to chop stuff to slam an air filter with cold air??
    I'm against it for two reasons. Removing a headlight/cover and putting a filter right behind it basically is a ram air setup it just isn't sealed. Same thing as the rear wings I don't think we should alter the body parts of the car and remove or cut holes/screens for this. We aren't allowed to blindly cut holes to make an area like a cheese grater all over the car but that's what some cars have done so why is that legal?

Well 6.9.2 All other OEM light assemblies may be replaced with facsimiles, plates, covers, or mesh covered cooling duct openings as long as these maintain the stock external appearance.
    *I don't think that putting a mesh metal grate in place of a headlight cover is stock external appearance. If it's an actual sealed air duct with a mesh screen that goes to cool say your brakes then that is similar to whats allowed in 6.5.2.
    But some people or possibly even directors aren't modifying their headlight for a duct. They are modifying it to allow cold air to enter where they have their air filter. Yes-that's an invitation for Michael Mosty to provide input.

Again-for the LT1 see 6.3. You are allowed to update/backdate. So if an LS car wants to run a LT air intake setup that is allowed or vice versa.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanL View Post
    Where are we allowed to chop stuff to slam an air filter with cold air??
    I'm against it for two reasons. Removing a headlight/cover and putting a filter right behind it basically is a ram air setup it just isn't sealed. Same thing as the rear wings I don't think we should alter the body parts of the car and remove or cut holes/screens for this. We aren't allowed to blindly cut holes to make an area like a cheese grater all over the car but that's what some cars have done so why is that legal?

Well 6.9.2 All other OEM light assemblies may be replaced with facsimiles, plates, covers, or mesh covered cooling duct openings as long as these maintain the stock external appearance.
    *I don't think that putting a mesh metal grate in place of a headlight cover is stock external appearance. If it's an actual sealed air duct with a mesh screen that goes to cool say your brakes then that is similar to whats allowed in 6.5.2.
    But some people or possibly even directors aren't modifying their headlight for a duct. They are modifying it to allow cold air to enter where they have their air filter. Yes-that's an invitation for Michael Mosty to provide input.

Again-for the LT1 see 6.3. You are allowed to update/backdate. So if an LS car wants to run a LT air intake setup that is allowed or vice versa.
    I think the rule is silly and should not be allowed. I proposed it be deemed illegal (long before I was the TX director) but was told the rule would stay as-is. So I took advantage of what was deemed legal.
    Is that what you were looking for?
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

Blog Entries
    Just looking for input from you as a director.
    But in reading the rule it doesn't say we are allowed to cut holes in the headlight cover area and I believe some have done this but I don't know what a "plate" is in this context. So if there are holes cut shouldn't that be illegal?
    Then the question is what does a "mesh covered cooling duct" exactly mean. If there isn't an actual duct going to say the brakes then shouldn't that be illegal as well? I don't think we are/or should be allowed to run a duct that then directs air to hit the air filter. Though I think I have seen this in the past.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24