Quote Originally Posted by BryanL View Post
Where are we allowed to chop stuff to slam an air filter with cold air??
I'm against it for two reasons. Removing a headlight/cover and putting a filter right behind it basically is a ram air setup it just isn't sealed. Same thing as the rear wings I don't think we should alter the body parts of the car and remove or cut holes/screens for this. We aren't allowed to blindly cut holes to make an area like a cheese grater all over the car but that's what some cars have done so why is that legal?

Well 6.9.2 All other OEM light assemblies may be replaced with facsimiles, plates, covers, or mesh covered cooling duct openings as long as these maintain the stock external appearance.
*I don't think that putting a mesh metal grate in place of a headlight cover is stock external appearance. If it's an actual sealed air duct with a mesh screen that goes to cool say your brakes then that is similar to whats allowed in 6.5.2.
But some people or possibly even directors aren't modifying their headlight for a duct. They are modifying it to allow cold air to enter where they have their air filter. Yes-that's an invitation for Michael Mosty to provide input.

Again-for the LT1 see 6.3. You are allowed to update/backdate. So if an LS car wants to run a LT air intake setup that is allowed or vice versa.
I think the rule is silly and should not be allowed. I proposed it be deemed illegal (long before I was the TX director) but was told the rule would stay as-is. So I took advantage of what was deemed legal.
Is that what you were looking for?