Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Interesting Ram Air

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    Bryan,
    The mesh on the headlight cover allows cooling air to enter the engine bay, cooling off critical engine components and reducing the likelihood of detonation due to high engine bay temps (since pushrod 5.0's don't have fancy knock sensors).. It essentially reduces the cost to compete in CMC...
    See... easy explanation...
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    So if a lt1 car shows up to nats with the "free ram air" mod Paul posted, will this be legal?
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mach1 View Post
    So if a lt1 car shows up to nats with the "free ram air" mod Paul posted, will this be legal?
    If Paul is driving I will not say a word. LOL

JJ

Be familiar with the CCR format to protest and have your money ready?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mach1 View Post
    How could it not be legal with the update/backdate allowance?
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

CMC 6.21.5 Any air filter or air filter assembly may be fitted and OE assemblies may be modified. Air boxes and filters must reside inside the engine compartment or in the OEM stock location. Air filter installations intentionally designed to create, or that appear to create a ram air effect are not allowed, even if they were OEM stock.

Nationals or otherwise...I would suggest not putting yourself in the position of having your hard work tossed on a subjective decision. Its just not worth it.
    Al Fernandez

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post
    If Paul is driving I will not say a word. LOL

JJ
    Thanks buddy.....!!

Quote Originally Posted by Al Fernandez View Post
    CMC 6.21.5 Any air filter or air filter assembly may be fitted and OE assemblies may be modified. Air boxes and filters must reside inside the engine compartment or in the OEM stock location. Air filter installations intentionally designed to create, or that appear to create a ram air effect are not allowed, even if they were OEM stock.

Nationals or otherwise...I would suggest not putting yourself in the position of having your hard work tossed on a subjective decision. Its just not worth it.
    The "appears" wording is what had me hung up. That is soooo objective that any attempt to create this affect, but play in a gray area of back dating, or arguing any data about atmospheric pressure is negated by simply saying that it appears to be creating that. This word does not require you to actually know for sure one way or the other whether it does. Simply that it "appears"

Knowing that During a protest is burden on proof on the person protesting or defending?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Fernandez View Post

Huh? The first line of the rule says OE assemblies may be modified? So is a 98-02 LS car allowed to modify the OE assembly but slotting that area? There isn't anything that seals or directs air to it like a ram air.

Why doesn't the update/backdate non body components rule apply? So are people running the LS in a 93-97 not allowed to run the OEM LS air intake setup? But they can run any air filter assembly they want as long as the filter is inside the engine compartment and doesn't create a ram air effect.

Hey Michael-I agree this is silly but I think it's beyond silly in this instance.

We have three directors on this thread and the best answer he can get is it would be a subjective decision? Can we at least get an answer to whether he can run the factory stock LS air intake setup?

Isn't this a non-body component?

6.3 Update/Backdate Non-body Components
    Non-body components may be updated/backdated within cars of the same manufacturer
    on the eligible manufacturers/models list (i.e. 1982-92 GM Early components may NOT
    be interchanged with 1993-02 GM Late components) unless noted elsewhere in these
    rules.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Junior Member Rookie
    Bryan L
    I am not the guy making the call at the nationals. But if we were having this discussion in the Great lakes region and I am the guy making the call, It would be illegal with this sentence alone. "Air filter installations intentionally designed to create, or that appear to create a ram air effect are not allowed, even if they were OEM stock."
    You can argue update and backdate all you want but at the end of the day it still is "......intentionally designed to create, or that appear to create a ram air effect". End of story.
    Hope that helps from my perspective.
    See you guys in a couple days
    Bob
    Bob Denton
    CMC #67
    Great Lakes Region