Thread: simple rule update please

simple rule update please

So this one should be much more straight forward than the shit storm I stirred up last time. After the FU**ed up situation we had with being under power and always having some issue with it not running right, it looks like a LS in our future in some format. As I was looking up what all could be used I noticed it was more limited than I thought. (see below) I believe a decent number are running 5.3s. From what I have gathered this is generally accepted as legal but it may be something that needs to be added so that we do not have something ridiculous in the future. I would be happy to write an RCR if needed but I also would not have any data as I have not run one before. Since we can run a GM 305 then I would assume the 5.3 would fit right in.

"6.11.1 Any 4.6 Ford, 5.0,(302 Ford or 305 GM), 5.7 liter LT1/LS1 GM V8 production engine, in OEMstock configuration unless otherwise stated in these rules, that was originally offered in an eligiblemodel car is legal. Cobra R model engines (Ford) and LT4 (GM/Chevrolet) engines or enginecomponents are prohibited. Additionally, early GM cars may run a late GM LS or LT engine andcontrolling electronics as long as they are in a configuration allowed within these rules."

** side note, Does anyone have some 5.7 dynos they would be willing to send me? virusracing006@gmail.com
    Last edited by liquidroam; 09-24-2018 at 04:35 PM.

6.14 covers the 5.3 option -

6.14 GM 5.3L LS Engine Option
    GM cars may substitute the engine long block assembly with the 5.3L LS series LM7, L59, LM4, and
    L33 long block assembly from 1999-2004 GM trucks. The intake, exhaust manifolds, and all external
    accessories and electronics from the Late GM 5.7L LS cars must be retained. The camshaft from the
    Late GM 5.7L LS1 cars may be used.

- Josh
    CMC #50

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    I actually have an RCR cooked up to further clarify 6.14. The intent of 6.14 is to allow GenIII 5.3 engines which is why the RPOs are called out. LM7 is the basic bitch iron block, L59 is flex fuel, LM4 is aluminum block from Trailblazers and Envoys, and the L33 is special. The first 3 all have the small cam and LS1 based heads and lower compression. L33 has 9.9:1 compression, LS6 based heads, and a higher lift cam.

We do need an RCR for the 5.3 in the 3rd gen, apparently the truck accessories work better in it than the 4th gen car stuff.
    RM CMC Director

Quote Originally Posted by Sook View Post
    6.14 covers the 5.3 option -

6.14 GM 5.3L LS Engine Option
    GM cars may substitute the engine long block assembly with the 5.3L LS series LM7, L59, LM4, and
    L33 long block assembly from 1999-2004 GM trucks. The intake, exhaust manifolds, and all external
    accessories and electronics from the Late GM 5.7L LS cars must be retained. The camshaft from the
    Late GM 5.7L LS1 cars may be used.

- Josh
    Ok apparently I did not do enough reading. Mucho gracias

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Supercharged111 View Post
    We do need an RCR for the 5.3 in the 3rd gen, apparently the truck accessories work better in it than the 4th gen car stuff.
    Yes. The truck accessories will certainly fit your wallet better. For the third gen (as I understand what Sean has said) the truck accessories leave the components in the same general location.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    There are cheaper billet options for 4th Gen Camaro brackets instead of factory by the way for those looking to run the 5.3 and don't have all the accessories.

Are we going to eliminate the L33 since it's a 2005-2007 motor as well as all the other differences?

I have dyno's from two different 5.7's that I have run that I'll send.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24