Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: '18 Spec Miata Cahmpionship

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by drecords View Post
    Then again...Im also in the camp that thinks there was a perceived performance advantage to having bigger balls in the cars in question.
    You can't put bigger balls in the CV joint without having to remachine the inner and outer races. The question is does a bigger opening in the cage i) provide an advantage, ii) even if there is no advantage, can the cage itself be machined?

To me the real issue is that by not having a spec and allowing remanned axles it doesn't matter - it's trying to prove a negative. Can a competitor prove that no remanufacturer modifies the cages?
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I wish someone would admit why they did the machining on the cages. It was done for some reason and it is either to make assembly easier or to make the car go faster......or maybe both.

I do understand how bigger balls would help you pass 20 cars and get to the front, but I digress.

JJ

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fbody383 View Post
    To me the real issue is that by not having a spec and allowing remanned axles it doesn't matter - it's trying to prove a negative. Can a competitor prove that no remanufacturer modifies the cages?
    I do agree with this statement. On the other hand, why would a remanufacturer modify the cage like this? What would be the point of adding this expense to the process? Certainly the part is hot tanked to clean it up. Maybe after that it is bead blasted but I doubt it. If you were a higher end setup, you might dump them in an abrasive tumbler to deburr the part. For other remanufactured parts, there might be a push to change common failure points to reduce returns but I don't see that applying in this case. There is no logic case that I can see to set up a fixture on a mill or a grinder to machine this opening bigger or to have someone hand grind them. I don't see it improving the part for any normal use case. The axle would come pre-assembled and greased so the end user would never see if they made it look better or different. I certainly could be wrong but it fails the smells right test to me...

Richard P.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby AllZWay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post
    I wish someone would admit why they did the machining on the cages. It was done for some reason and it is either to make assembly easier or to make the car go faster......or maybe both.

I do understand how bigger balls would help you pass 20 cars and get to the front, but I digress.

JJ
    I would agree.. there is some reason the parts were made different. It could be a totally legit reason...but just explain why they differ.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Suck fumes View Post
    I’ve known Haldeman for 10yrs and I can tell you for a FACT that he would never do anything intentionally to break the rules and I know that car he won with IS 100% legal and I’m sure he will win the SCCA sonoma runoffs coming up with the same car.
    OK, I'm a horrible person. I was trying to keep my composure but the elephant in the corner kicked me in the shin and I lost it.

I don't know the players involved and try to keep all of my responses completely on the technical side. I'm not part of that world, I don't know him, and I certainly don't have any information that would bring into question the integrity of Haldeman. That said, I do have the slight feeling that, well... um... this statement might have a bit more veracity if it didn't come from someone who is currently banned from competing in CMC for falsifying a dyno sheet. Am I off base here??? :-)

"Dude, quit trying to help. You're making it worse..."

Richard P.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AllZWay View Post
    I would agree.. there is some reason the parts were made different. It could be a totally legit reason...but just explain why they differ.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard P
    There is no logic case that I can see to set up a fixture on a mill or a grinder to machine this opening bigger or to have someone hand grind them. I don't see it improving the part for any normal use case. The axle would come pre-assembled and greased so the end user would never see if they made it look better or different. I certainly could be wrong but it fails the smells right test to me...

Since it looks like they were opened up marginally, only thing I can think of from a reman perspective is it makes it easier to put the stub end back together because it allow for more "angle" to get the final bearings in.

It literally took me 30-35 attempts to get the stub end back together when i rebuilt mine.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Last joint i rebuilt I found an order to put the balls back in and it was fast once you figure that out.
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    My bet (assumption here, obviously) is that a mass rebuilder had one of their workers realize that it would take less time to machine a cage then to fight an assembly sequence. If they are building 100 of these per employee each day, I guarantee you they are looking at ways to speed up their process to push more product out the back door. Now, it that also has a perceived performance advantage to this manufacturing aide, then the water gets murky quick.
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...