Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: T5 Replacement in 94 Mustang

Senior Member Rookie

T5 Replacement in 94 Mustang

So I think I am going to get a tko600. I am trying to get a handle on total costs for the swap. I have a couple questions. Will I have to move the transmission mount location? Will it affect the driveshaft length?

I am looking at different places to buy the transmission if anyone has any suggestions. I found these guys in SA but have not looked into them yet. Ratios were correct. https://www.ebay.com/itm/TREMEC-TKO-...7/273467327327

TIA

I got mine from liberty gear, same price that you found. Recommend the carbon syncros. The factory SN95 mount will not work. The drive shaft length did not change for me going from the T5 to the TKO.

Add to that a bell housing, clutch, shifter and a fair chance you'll shorten the driveshaft. Recommend REM polishing and using Tremec fluid

I think summit has them in stock. I usually check their stock when we race at Cresson because... well... CMC car.

Going between T5 and TKO on mine is trans, shifter, bell housing, sometimes shimming the clutch pivot. You'll need a 26 spline clutch for the TKO600. My driveshaft and trans mount work for both, that may be different on an sn95.

I've had the T5z and the TKO in and out of the car several times this season.

- Josh
    CMC #50

Dederich might also have a 600RR for you.

http://www.dederichsmotorsports.com/...transmissions/

- Josh
    CMC #50

Senior Member Rookie
    I forgot about the shifter, thanks.

Now this is starting to feel like racing. Trans change is half the cost of the car. I am hoping I won't have to alter drive shaft as I would like to get the t5 rebuilt better for a backup.

Dederich is close to me so I will go talk to him first.

Thanks guys!

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Blog Entries
    If you're adventurous T5 is not a bad rebuild. I did mine myself (T5WC) before I bought Marshall's Astro. That was before Craig had MDT though, he's reasonably priced, has beer on tap, and does top notch work!

Quote Originally Posted by centerville View Post

Now this is starting to feel like racing. Trans change is half the cost of the car. I am hoping I won't have to alter drive shaft as I would like to get the t5 rebuilt better for a backup.

Dederich is close to me so I will go talk to him first.

Thanks guys!
    Daniel Records
    CMC # 34

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by centerville View Post

Now this is starting to feel like racing. Trans change is half the cost of the car.

Thanks guys!
    If it makes you feel any better I'm going to do a rebuild on my T56. Unless I destroyed something I think I'm on the hook for like $500.
    RM CMC Director

Oh it’ll be much more than that if you allow Sean to decide which parts need to be replaced.
    Al Fernandez

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Fernandez View Post
    Oh it’ll be much more than that if you allow Sean to decide which parts need to be replaced.
    I heard the bearings were a pain, so no thanks. Carbon blocker rings, steel 3-4 fork, billet keys and send it. Now that the pilot bearing exists it's raceable, but I can't slam gears as fast as I like. Not coming to Hallett again next year with my pants down.
    RM CMC Director