Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: FNG - Intro

Senior Member Rookie 64GunPilot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Den34 View Post
    You are smart buying a car to start this hobby.
    There are 3 major learning curves you will encounter
    1 Building a car and figuring out reliability
    2 Learning to drive
    3 Learning to race.

By buying a running car you have eliminated one learning curve.

Bob
    I enjoy building, it was purely from an economical decision to buy prebuilt. As I mature in this sport/hobby/community, I may start a slow build on a foxbody or SN95. Who knows.

UPDATE: My Factory Five Cobra sold for asking price. Funds have been secured to make the purchase of Mike Plum's car. I've been calling it mine, but reality is I haven't paid or took possession yet. Was hoping to make it to California to meet with Mike and retrieve it. But looks like it'll take til mid next week for this cashiers check to clear (its already been verified), but there is a hold on it at my bank. Unfortunately I don't have enough days of leave to wait that long and I have to return to South Korea. So Mike has agreed to keep it stored at his place awaiting pickup sometime Christmas timeframe when I come back to visit my family for Christmas.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    Congrats on the sale of the Cobra and glad your car can stay safe until you are back stateside.
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

UPDATE:

All wires are complete. I am OFFICIALLY the new owner of the #77 3rd Gen CMC. Will drive to collect it up December 19th.

Quote Originally Posted by Den34 View Post
    You are smart buying a car to start this hobby.
    There are 3 major learning curves you will encounter
    1 Building a car and figuring out reliability
    2 Learning to drive
    3 Learning to race.

By buying a running car you have eliminated one learning curve.

Bob
    Ya you know something.... I thought that is what I was doing.... You are right though that car looks much better cared for than the one I grabbed. Good work.

Quote Originally Posted by liquidroam View Post
    Ya you know something.... I thought that is what I was doing.... You are right though that car looks much better cared for than the one I grabbed. Good work.
    The car probably has some cobwebs to clear out, tank drained and fresh fluids throughout, new nets and seatbelts. It hasnt been on the track much in the last two years, but for the most part, the car is 99.9% ready for HPDE. A few safety items and it should pass inspection for CMC once I get my comp license.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by liquidroam View Post
    You're not alone. I went to the dyno 4 times my first season and didn't get the car right until my 3rd season. As long as the FNG here doesn't inherit some elusive electrical gremlins, the motor makes the numbers, and the setup is halfway decent he should be able to tweak it to his liking over the course of a season.
    RM CMC Director