Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Spec Carbureted Engines

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Screw an iron block at that price. Run what you have until it holds you up. In the meantime find a real deal on an LM4 aluminum block 5.3. If you're savvy you can convert a truck harness yourself to save a buck. We also passed an RCR to allow cheap aftermarket accessory mounts instead of the ripoff prices CL fiends are demanding. I found myself a $225 LM4 at the pull and pay some time back, hoping to find a spare without a hole in the block at some point. I've hunted down the LS1 rack, k member, steering shaft, plastic tank, etc but just know the swap process, at least on a 4th gen, is fairly involved. The early early LS1s had return lines, so hunting down those rails will be a necessity for that 3rd gen. Not an overwhelming asspain, just something to consider. It's more than a motor and mounts to get that thing in there.
    RM CMC Director

Senior Member Rookie 64GunPilot's Avatar
    Ive read that the L33 is the best 5.3. Its aluminum and heads are pretty much the same as the LS1 castings.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 64GunPilot View Post
    Ive read that the L33 is the best 5.3. Its aluminum and heads are pretty much the same as the LS1 castings.
    The L33 is a great motor, but you'r spending more money for a hotter motor that will be hard to restrict down to the 260/310 level

Stock 5.3s are easily getting 260hp and just under 310 torque (mine is a weirdo at 262/305), while in most cases LS1s with their better flowing heads and hotter cams are restricting at 260hp and are ending in the 290s on torque.

Stick with an LM4 or LM7, cheaper and a better fit for the class, plus with a stock cam your valvetrain is under less stress.