Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spec Carbureted Engines

Senior Member Rookie 64GunPilot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fbody383 View Post
    You'll hear this a lot... look at the rules.

Section 6.13 in part:
    5.7 liter (350ci)
    1. Holley carburetor 600cfm-4bbl #4776
    2. Edelbrock Performer intake manifold #2101, #2104, #2116, #7116, #7516
    3. GM Camshaft #24502476
    4. GM L31 #12558060 or L30 #12552520/12558059 heads
    5. GM OEM H.E.I. distributor (non-computer controlled)

And just keep asking questions...
    I guess I had that coming.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 64GunPilot View Post
    I guess I had that coming.
    Just part of the learning process.

I think you also had a question about tires - yes 17" usually the way to go now... up to 275. I might need to check the rules... (see what i did there???)

But you're welcome to BBQ...
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    If you have 255’s, burn them up.. learn Racecraft. Seat time... seat time... seat time...
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Junior Member Rookie
    We have 3 third gens in our region running carbed 350s. They all make good numbers and are stupid simple. The 350 with a LT1 T56 makes a pretty solid setup. Bryan White has been running this setup for several years and it has been very reliable. The downside is that some are actually on the high side of torque so you have to be careful of your exhaust configuration so as not to build too much torque. The other downside they are iron head iron block. Still waiting for someone to submit a RCR to allow the 80s corvette aluminum heads.
    Bob
    Bob Denton
    CMC #67
    Great Lakes Region

Quote Originally Posted by Den34 View Post
    We have 3 third gens in our region running carbed 350s. They all make good numbers and are stupid simple. The 350 with a LT1 T56 makes a pretty solid setup. Bryan White has been running this setup for several years and it has been very reliable. The downside is that some are actually on the high side of torque so you have to be careful of your exhaust configuration so as not to build too much torque. The other downside they are iron head iron block. Still waiting for someone to submit a RCR to allow the 80s corvette aluminum heads.
    Bob
    Hey, Thanks for chiming in. Been told you have good experience with them. The 305 TPI I got is fresh, so I'll probably keep it in the car as long as it is healthy. But, possibly in the distant future, I'll roll with the carb'd spec engine. I like EFI, but I enjoy simplicity too. Thanks for the info.

Hey, Thanks for chiming in. Been told you have good experience with them. The 305 TPI I got is fresh, so I'll probably keep it in the car as long as it is healthy. But, possibly in the distant future, I'll roll with the carb'd spec engine. I like EFI, but I enjoy simplicity too. Thanks for the info.
    Which intake are you running? If I recall, the 305 runs out of air at about 4500-5000 RPM.
    You might talk to Sean (Storm Trooper #15) about his experience with his 3rd Gen.
    Sean did the 5.3 LS conversion on his car last year. Big change was that the LS uses about
    1/2 to 2/3rds the fuel as the 305 and the torque is better across the RPM range.
    Trying to recall if he changed diff gears too, he can tell you.
    --
    ------__o
    -----_\ <,_
    ----(_)/ (_)
    Laissez les bons temps rouler

Quote Originally Posted by 39PitCrew View Post
    Which intake are you running? If I recall, the 305 runs out of air at about 4500-5000 RPM.
    You might talk to Sean (Storm Trooper #15) about his experience with his 3rd Gen.
    Sean did the 5.3 LS conversion on his car last year. Big change was that the LS uses about
    1/2 to 2/3rds the fuel as the 305 and the torque is better across the RPM range.
    Trying to recall if he changed diff gears too, he can tell you.
    A couple months late on this answer, but as far as the intake, its the Vortec to TPI intake thats on the car now. I've been looking at the 5.3 LS engines out there. Trying to figure out how much going the LS conversion route costs in total. T56s are not cheap, and I'd have to buy all the LS1 accessories, intake, and exhaust manifolds per the rules.

I have a spare Vortec 350. I think I am going to build it per the spec carb rulebook, and then maybe use it in another non-daily driver project and dyno tune it (more emphasis on the tuning than hp/tq numbers). But then, if my 305 starts to have troubles, I can just pull that Vortec as my backup engine since it'll be spec. Thats the thought right now anyways. I just wish the spec engines could run roller cams since thats what I already have.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Sean's 3rd gen still runs (ran?) a T5 at least as far as Hallett.
    RM CMC Director

A couple months late on this answer, but as far as the intake, its the Vortec to TPI intake thats on the car now. I've been looking at the 5.3 LS engines out there. Trying to figure out how much going the LS conversion route costs in total. T56s are not cheap, and I'd have to buy all the LS1 accessories, intake, and exhaust manifolds per the rules.
    Talk to Sean, he can tell you costs. And probably give you some ideas on
    where to get stuff on a tight budget. I think he actually used the truck block
    (LM4?) and accessories brackets because they are readily available at
    the pick-a-part yards. And they make more power than you can use.
    He runs a tail pipe restrictor to get the HP/TQ numbers down to avoid
    penalty weight.
    --
    ------__o
    -----_\ <,_
    ----(_)/ (_)
    Laissez les bons temps rouler

I found this $800 for turn key with accessories, harness, ect. Would need accessories, intake, and exhaust from LS1. So maybe $1250 for all of it. Then getting the trans to bolt up probably needs a bellhousing and crossmember. Yea. Ill definitely get with someone who has done this before. My career in HPDE pre CMC license, will definitely be running the 305 vortec TPI. As long as it lasts, im gonna run it.

https://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/pt...791509649.html

Looking at the spec carb route, the intake, carb, cam, ect is gonna be over $1000 and that doesnt even include the rebuild. But the engine would be fresh vs 150,000 miles on the 5.3 LS.