Thread: New Hub Issue

Senior Member Rookie

New Hub Issue

Ok so I bought SKF hubs from RA. Pulled them apart regreased them, put new 3" moroso lug studs in. Today I tried to put the wheels back on and they don't clear the studs. All lug studs are about 1/16" off. Seems they are hitting on the outside edge. Tried another set of wheels and they work perfectly. Tried my 3rd set and they don't fit either. Never tried the rain tires.

All studs appear to be seated all the way into the hub. Nothing appears to be bent but we are not talking about much here.

Here is a pic of the hub in question. The white stuff on the threads is aluminum from the wheels where it hits.

This one.jpg

Ideas?

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by centerville View Post
    new 3" moroso lug studs in. Today I tried to put the wheels back on and they don't clear the studs. All lug studs are about 1/16" off. Seems they are hitting on the outside edge. Tried another set of wheels and they work perfectly. Tried my 3rd set and they don't fit either. Never tried the rain tires.

All studs appear to be seated all the way into the hub. Nothing appears to be bent but we are not talking about much here.

Here is a pic of the hub in question. The white stuff on the threads is aluminum from the wheels where it hits.

Ideas?
    Just a tolerance issue. When you get 3" long studs, it doesn't take much for them to be off enough that they will interfere if the holes in the wheels aren't big enough. Everything should be fine once they are bolted up. You could drill the holes in the wheel out a little bit or just whack the studs until they line up better. See if it all works better once you torque up the wheels a time or two. Or not.

The bigger problem is the Moroso studs. They have the same PSI strength rating as ARP studs and generally cost less. You can get high PSI ratings by using good materials or you can heat treat cheap metal until it's brittle. You can get threads on a stud by cutting them or rolling them. Cutting them causes sharp stress risers at the root of the threads. Rolling the threads toughens the material at the root of the threads and makes them more fatigue resistant. ARP studs are made from good material and have rolled threads. Cheap materials and cut threads aren't safe on a road race car. ARP studs might also fix the problem you asked about.

Richard P.

These are the cheaper ARP studs, but you have to drill the hub a bit:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CFO0KO/

This is the drill bit you need to drill the hub:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AHWLNG/

- Josh
    CMC #50

Senior Member Rookie
    Point taken. I was being lazy and did not want to drill the hubs. But I also did not know how the moroso studs were made. Thanks!

Thanks Josh that is a lot lower price than MM.

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sook View Post
    These are the cheaper ARP studs, but you have to drill the hub a bit:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CFO0KO/

This is the drill bit you need to drill the hub:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AHWLNG/

- Josh
    If you hit the lug holes in the wheel with the 39/64 drill bit you'll never have trouble getting the wheels on. Just slightly opens the holes up, doesn't change the lug seating surface appreciably.
    Daniel Records
    CMC # 34

Senior Member Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by drecords View Post
    If you hit the lug holes in the wheel with the 39/64 drill bit you'll never have trouble getting the wheels on. Just slightly opens the holes up, doesn't change the lug seating surface appreciably.
    Good idea. Thanks

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Rob Liebbe's Avatar
    Moroso packaging used to state "not for use with spacers". Richard is right, don't use them. If you want direct fit ARP wheel studs, Baer Brakes used to carry them. I did not see them with a quick search of their website but it would be worth a phone call.
    Rob Liebbe - Texas Region
    Camaro, Mustang, doesn't matter to me, I'll race it.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Liebbe View Post
    Moroso packaging used to state "not for use with spacers". Richard is right, don't use them. If you want direct fit ARP wheel studs, Baer Brakes used to carry them. I did not see them with a quick search of their website but it would be worth a phone call.
    Unless something has changed since 2005, there is nothing wrong with the moroso studs. Had them on the rear of my Mustang for 10+ years and even re-used them in new axles. Most failures are operator error....
    Ah, fugg it.