Thread: 2019 Rules Discussion

Threaded View

Senior Member Grass-Passer Alien's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Supercharged111 View Post
    E: This one took a few tries to get where it is now, but we may need to revisit since apparently the TPI motors are ram air from the factory? Can you guys post better pics of the ducting? I found the top bit but not all of it. Thought we'd covered our bases here.
    First off, I haven't stayed in a Holiday Inn recently, so I may be reading the rule wrong. If the radiator itself counts as a 5" air bleed (whatever that is), then forget everything I said and don't read on. I know the rule was made/adjusted for a completely different scenario, but may have an unintended consequence. What's throwing me off is bolded "A ram air intake shall be defined as one that sources its air from a location on the exterior of the car or the radiator ducting and is ducted and sealed from that source to the throttle body/carb.

The TPI from the factory is not ram air. I know I know, I'm probably the only one in the country running an LT1 thru a TPI intake (and a T5 to boot).
    Throttle body gets airs from TPI intake...

which houses the filters...

which sit ontop of a box that gets air from infront of the radiator.
    (top view)

(bottom view)

In factory form, there's all the normal gaps on the sides and bottom of the radiator. In accordance with 6.52, 6.54 & 6.25.3, boxing in the radiator is legal. After fighting overheating problems my first season, I converted to a front breather and did away with the air deflector all together.

The top, sides, and bottom I would consider ductwork for the radiator.
    All air that goes thru the grille opening goes thru the radiator or air filter.

FWIW, I actually have a TPI box with the bottom cut out. Dyno'd it and was too high tq, and swapped in one that wasn't cut (and still had the rain deflectors too). Didn't make a lick of difference to the HP/TQ numbers with the bigass industrial fan they had blowing on the front of the car.
    Last edited by Alien; 11-29-2018 at 11:54 PM.
    - Gary R.
    '86 Camaro Z28 "KNOCKER"