Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flywheel Clutch Issue

Quote Originally Posted by centerville View Post
    So now under load 2nd to 3rd gear shift will not go. It goes up towards 3rd but not into gear as it gets up there it feels stiff. Also kind of gets stuck up by 3rd. I have to slow down to get the shift to complete. Tried adjusting clutch to make sure I am fully disengaged.
    I had a bunch of shifting issues at Hallett this year, ended up destroying the throw out bearing, melting the clutch spring fingers, and turning the front bearing retainer on the T5 blue. Take the shift fork cover off and try to see if anything is obviously wrong in there. Maybe the new cable is getting hung up? Can you float the gears between 2-3 without the clutch while moving?

Hopefully it's not an issue inside the box.

- Josh
    CMC #50

Senior Member Rookie
    So the transmission is coming out and going to the rebuilder to see whats up. I plan to replace all hardware and bearings. Does it matter where I get the pilot and throw out bearings from? There is a lot of difference in price out there. Also what about clutch choices? This is all new to me so I don't even know where to start except maybe lightest as possible.

So the transmission is coming out and going to the rebuilder to see whats up. I plan to replace all hardware and bearings. Does it matter where I get the pilot and throw out bearings from? There is a lot of difference in price out there. Also what about clutch choices? This is all new to me so I don't even know where to start except maybe lightest as possible.
    I run a spec clutch and flywheel, because they have a contingency - I don't think it much matters. I've got national brand parts store stuff in mine and it seems to be fine. All the LS camaro work we've been doing with the #82 uses parts store stuff for pilot/throw outs and it's fine, the engines on the other hand...

I think the rules are explicit in saying you have to run a steel flywheel, so keep that in mind.

- Josh
    CMC #50

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Blog Entries
    If no luck inside the tranny, have a look at the clutch fork and throw out bearing. Beat my head over the wall with a clutch issue that was finally resolved with a new fork. LMR sells a Ford racing kit for trivial dollars that I keep in my box of spares.
    Daniel Records
    CMC # 34

Senior Member Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Sook View Post
    I run a spec clutch and flywheel, because they have a contingency - I don't think it much matters. I've got national brand parts store stuff in mine and it seems to be fine. All the LS camaro work we've been doing with the #82 uses parts store stuff for pilot/throw outs and it's fine, the engines on the other hand...

I think the rules are explicit in saying you have to run a steel flywheel, so keep that in mind.

- Josh
    Yeah I think I am just going to replace everything and save the old stuff for spares. And yes steal flywheel with a minimum weight if I remember right.

Senior Member Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by drecords View Post
    If no luck inside the tranny, have a look at the clutch fork and throw out bearing. Beat my head over the wall with a clutch issue that was finally resolved with a new fork. LMR sells a Ford racing kit for trivial dollars that I keep in my box of spares.
    I have a 20% off coupon from LMR so good timing. Thanks

Senior Member Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Sook View Post

- Josh
    Which clutch are you running Josh?

Which clutch are you running Josh?
    Not sure on part number, it was in the car when I got it. Maybe Tyler knows?

- Josh
    CMC #50

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Stage 1
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Senior Member Rookie
    Thanks guys.