Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: 3rd Gen 17" wheels

  1. #1

    3rd Gen 17" wheels

    Are the CTW-Motorsport wheels the best cost/quality option for us 3rd gen guys?

    I got x16 255 16" RA1s mounted. Great for DE and getting some seat time in, but they are useless if everyone else is running 275/40/R17. Not many options for a direct fit 17" wheel for the 3rd gen.

    Just curious what most 3rd gens are running for wheels?

  2. #2
    Senior Member Grass-Passer Alien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Richmond, Texas
    Posts
    907
    There really aren't many 3rd gens running anymore. Sean has used the CTW wheels with good success. I think you could get CCW's $$$ to meet weight. I'm running OEM Z06 fronts with adapters up front and LT1 rear end. The 17's open up bigger brakes too.
    - Gary R.
    '86 Camaro Z28 "KNOCKER"

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Alien View Post
    There really aren't many 3rd gens running anymore. Sean has used the CTW wheels with good success. I think you could get CCW's $$$ to meet weight. I'm running OEM Z06 fronts with adapters up front and LT1 rear end. The 17's open up bigger brakes too.
    I thought about the z06 wheels but I read that I would need 2" spacers on each corner. I don't know how I feel about that. Are 2" spacers safe in these conditions? Plus whats the point of light weigh wheels if I have to add 2lb spacers.

    I guess I just need to plan for $1200 for one set of CTW wheels. They seem like the best option so far.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Grass-Passer Alien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Richmond, Texas
    Posts
    907
    Quote Originally Posted by 64GunPilot View Post
    I thought about the z06 wheels but I read that I would need 2" spacers on each corner. I don't know how I feel about that. Are 2" spacers safe in these conditions?
    That is correct. I was hesitant at first as well, tho quite a few people have used them on track. As long as they are good quality, they aren't an issue. A 4th gen rear will eliminate the need for a rear spacer, tho at a minor overall weight penalty.


    Quote Originally Posted by 64GunPilot View Post
    Plus whats the point of light weigh wheels if I have to add 2lb spacers.

    I guess I just need to plan for $1200 for one set of CTW wheels. They seem like the best option so far.
    Looks like you answered your own question. For me, I was able to buy 2 1/2 sets of Z06 wheels an have money left over for the cost of 1 set of CTWs or the likes.
    - Gary R.
    '86 Camaro Z28 "KNOCKER"

  5. #5
    Senior Member Grass-Passer Supercharged111's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Posts
    869
    Since the spacers are so small in diameter, they have a very low moment of inertia. Their effect on handling is much less than if the wheels themselves were heavier by the weight of the spacer. It is still unsprung mass though.
    RM CMC Director

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Supercharged111 View Post
    Since the spacers are so small in diameter, they have a very low moment of inertia. Their effect on handling is much less than if the wheels themselves were heavier by the weight of the spacer. It is still unsprung mass though.
    Yea, I get that. Im not sure Id even be able to tell the difference in a few extra pounds on each corner at this point. Ill be burning up all my 255 16 RA1s for awhile through DE. This should give me some time to find some bargains.

  7. #7
    Remember one set of wheels isn't enough. You need at least two sets of wheels to deal with optimizing tire heat cycles, let alone track spares. I'd take the big spacers over having to sink 2400$ for a CMC car set of wheels.
    Al Fernandez
    CMC National Director

  8. #8
    Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    1,340
    Blog Entries
    2
    I now own 5 sets of z06 wheels.

    Spacer + relatively cheap OEM wheels are the way to go. You WILL eventually be chucking a wheel every once a while from curb/contact damage.

    I got lucky in that a buddy of mine was building a track/open road race 4th gen and wanted 18" Z06 wheels, so him and I tag teamed craigslist for the better part of a year and started splitting sets of c5 z06 wheels as they popped up around Texas.

    At an average of $425/set, my collection of 5 sets is less than two sets of new fancy wheels.
    Last edited by Pranav; 12-17-2018 at 11:56 AM.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Plano
    Posts
    1,812
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pranav View Post
    so him and I tag teamed craigslist for the better part of a year
    .......
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

  10. #10
    Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    College Station, TX
    Posts
    4,489
    Quote Originally Posted by Pranav View Post
    I now own 5 sets of z06 wheels.

    Spacer + relatively cheap OEM wheels are the way to go. You WILL eventually be chucking a wheel every once a while from curb/contact damage.

    I got lucky in that a buddy of mine was building a track/open road race 4th gen and wanted 18" Z06 wheels, so him and I tag teamed craigslist for the better part of a year and started splitting sets of c5 z06 wheels as they popped up around Texas.

    At an average of $425/set, my collection of 5 sets is less than two sets of new fancy wheels.
    So YOU are the reason I can't find 18x10.5 rears for our vette?! Damn it!!!!
    To hell with the rules, the guidelines and the politics....built the car to my wishes and having fun being the underdog running with the Wolves!

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •