Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coleman Brakes

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pranav View Post
    The whole thing on rotors, if the hardware allows axial float, that's the way you go.

Wilwood rotors and entry level coleman rotors do not, which make them just as good as a regular one piece rotor in that they will crack fairly quickly because the rotor rings aren't being allowed to move when they change shape from high heat under braking.

This is why we love our 2 piece $$$ stoptechs; the rings last forever because they aren't stressed from being tied to a rotor hat that doesnt change shape. The stoptech kits cost a lot since they also come with $$$ calipers, but for Mustangs as we see with Records, you can get girodisc two piece true floating rotors that go with stock Ford calipers.

For GM i believe a stoptech/girodisc c5 floating rotor with stock c5 calipers would be a good option $ wise.
    Pump the brakes (see what I did there?). I thought stock rotors weren't compatible with Stoptech calipers on a 4th gen? Of course if I ever wrap up my distractions I can get around to fitting it all up to a spare knuckle to see it with my own eyes.
    RM CMC Director

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Huh?

No I was referring to stock replacement Girodisc/stoptech rotors for mustang and c5 applications

Use those rotors with stock calipers as applicable is what I meant

No stoptech calipers I know of would drop onto stock rotors.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Huh?

No I was referring to stock replacement Girodisc/stoptech rotors for mustang and c5 applications

Derr, I misspoke. I have C5 brakes now so not stock. Getting stock C5 stuff confused with 4th gen CMC spec Stoptech stuff I think.
    RM CMC Director

Senior Member Rookie 64GunPilot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardP View Post
    Coleman has a bunch of rotor castings that can be machined to whatever is needed, including fixed rotor or floating rotor. I used their DV-30 rotors to create 12” diameter rotors that worked with PBR calipers to fit inside the stock 16”, 4-lug wheels on my Fox. This was a long time ago before there were so many brake options available and the Coleman setup worked great back then.
    http://www.colemanracing.com/Brake-R...ane-P3549.aspx

Coleman does have some standard brake rotor part numbers but those are just their regular castings machined to mate to common brake hat dimensions. Within given rotor dimensions, Coleman has lighter and heavier versions to choose from. Heavier is going to be more durable. Lighter is going to be higher performance until you stress them enough that they start to have issues.

As far as floating vs. fixed, I believe this has more to do with the type of caliper you run. If you have a floating caliper, you can get away better with a fixed rotor without experiencing pad knock back. A fixed caliper is going to need some amount of float in the rotor not to drive you crazy with a soft pedal. Floating rotors also help keep rotor coning down which results in a better pedal feel.

I believe rotor cracking has way more to do with material quality, heat treating, and just being oversized for the application more than it does with fixed or floating. Coleman offers stress relieving of their rotors as an option before they are machined to final shape. That wasn’t an option when I bought mine way back when so I don’t know how much it helps.

Rotor life is also affected by track layout, driving style, pad selection, tire grip, car weight, etc.

Richard P.

http://www.colemanracing.com/Brake-R...ane-P4670.aspx 24837 and 24838 are the rotors ill be running since thats whats on the car. A little thicker probably heavier and cheaper than the ones you were talking about. Well see how well they last. The calipers are http://www.colemanracing.com/Caliper...III-P4509.aspx 560-100

Looking at trying to make April 5-7 at Eagles Canyon for HPDE 1. Will give the car a good shakedown and start getting some seat time.

Excited. Flying to Texas today to grab the Excursion and drive to Bakersfield CA to pickup and take possession of the new race car. Will post pictures of the handshake later.

Dylan

That’s a standard asphalt circle track rotor, same as on my car. Works great with CMC cars.
    Al Fernandez

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Huh?

The C5 rotor offset is very shallow and makes running 4 piston calipers difficult with the typical OEM wheels used in CMC....and making it under the track width max. Ask me how I know. C4 HD rotors however are just fine with tons of offset...just a lot fewer 2pc options out there.

as for the rears and knockback. I am going to try and figure out a way to put mustang cobra rear calipers on the camaro this offseason. 95% of camaro knockback is coming from the rear. If the mustang calipers don't have enough "thickness" for pads and the camaro rear rotor I plan on finding a "wider" rear caliper with twisting in pistons and creating a hybrid flange bracket to make it work while I am installing new axles.

Hell, I just built a 4th gen, 4 piston, radial mount front kit for under $900 and made 8 hours at CoTA on about 1/8" of pad wear and the rotors are $38ea availabe at rock auto or amazon. Just isn't CMC legal on track width with 10 spokes. will be trying other wheels in our inventory shortly.
    Ah, fugg it.