Quote Originally Posted by RichardP View Post
Coleman has a bunch of rotor castings that can be machined to whatever is needed, including fixed rotor or floating rotor. I used their DV-30 rotors to create 12” diameter rotors that worked with PBR calipers to fit inside the stock 16”, 4-lug wheels on my Fox. This was a long time ago before there were so many brake options available and the Coleman setup worked great back then.
http://www.colemanracing.com/Brake-R...ane-P3549.aspx

Coleman does have some standard brake rotor part numbers but those are just their regular castings machined to mate to common brake hat dimensions. Within given rotor dimensions, Coleman has lighter and heavier versions to choose from. Heavier is going to be more durable. Lighter is going to be higher performance until you stress them enough that they start to have issues.

As far as floating vs. fixed, I believe this has more to do with the type of caliper you run. If you have a floating caliper, you can get away better with a fixed rotor without experiencing pad knock back. A fixed caliper is going to need some amount of float in the rotor not to drive you crazy with a soft pedal. Floating rotors also help keep rotor coning down which results in a better pedal feel.

I believe rotor cracking has way more to do with material quality, heat treating, and just being oversized for the application more than it does with fixed or floating. Coleman offers stress relieving of their rotors as an option before they are machined to final shape. That wasn’t an option when I bought mine way back when so I don’t know how much it helps.

Rotor life is also affected by track layout, driving style, pad selection, tire grip, car weight, etc.

Richard P.
Interesting; I asked them how much it would cost to make a set of true floaters for the camaro rear; it was a lot