Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blog : Taking Possession

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Well the range must be decent on that thing if it reaches the front of your RV. No line amps or other trickery to get it to go that far? Last I was looking at a wireless backup cam for the trailer range was an issue getting all the way to the front of the tow pig.
    RM CMC Director

Senior Member Rookie 64GunPilot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by drecords View Post
    Tow like a grandma? You mean... Not 25mph over the limit like you?

Trailer tires are like underwear and brake pads, everyone has a preference. Definitely stick to radials and be diligent about pressure and time in service. When I bought my triple axle encloserd I added a pressure monitoring dealie on Jerry's recommendation and love it. Changing tires on that beast fully loaded doesn't look like a good time...
    I now own 3 trailers. This 20ft Enclosed with soon to be new tires: 35151348_10212355786552501_8838712738600452096_o.jpg

This 40ft triple axle Enclosed: IMG_3200.jpg

And this flatbed: IMG_3554.jpg

So keeping up with 7 axles worth of tires is gonna be a chore. Having a few trailer blowouts under my belt, I can tell you that on the double and triple axle trailers it is really a non event....at least in my experience it has been. Its just a loud bang, followed by some strange vibrations and sparks if its at night as the steel belts smacking the ground. In my experience (yours may differ), the trailer has never swerved or done anything but track perfectly straight.

I think the monitor systems are cool. And I feel like using the cheaper trailer tires is gonna work for me. Maxxis tires is probably the best, and the reviews definitely are great. $200 gets me a cheap set of tires from ebay. I'll mount and balance myself. And we'll see if they hold up. But with my blowout experiences, it does not scare my a bit to have it happen again. The tow vehicle tires.....now thats a different story. I have never had a blowout on the tow vehicle, and I pray I never do.

Thanks for all the welcomes. Looking forward to moving to Texas next April.
    Last edited by 64GunPilot; 12-30-2018 at 12:05 PM.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Supercharged111 View Post
    Well the range must be decent on that thing if it reaches the front of your RV. No line amps or other trickery to get it to go that far? Last I was looking at a wireless backup cam for the trailer range was an issue getting all the way to the front of the tow pig.
    The kit comes with a repeater.

JJ

Senior Member Rookie 64GunPilot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Supercharged111 View Post
    On my 40ft enclosed, for $30 off ebay, I bought a cheap camera and a 50ft RCA video cable. My Excursion already has an aftermarket double din 7 in DVD touchscreen stereo unit installed and also a backup camera on the license plate mount. When I am towing with this trailer, I just unhook the vehicle backup camera at the rear bumper and plug in the trailer camera. Camera is powered by the interior dome lights. Wasnt too difficult. Easy, cheap, and works great. I can drive full time with the trailer camera video output on the stereo screen up front, and let the kids watch the overhead DVD and sound in the back. I looked at wireless cameras, but Im a cheap bastard.
    Last edited by 64GunPilot; 12-30-2018 at 06:43 PM.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post
    The kit comes with a repeater.

JJ
    That's awesome. I have some serious nerding out to do to figure out whatever my setup will be (if I get around to it). Most of the crap I see is all proprietary.

Quote Originally Posted by 64GunPilot View Post
    On my 40ft enclosed, for $30 off ebay, I bought a cheap camera and a 50ft RCA video cable. My Excursion already has an aftermarket double din 7 in DVD touchscreen stereo unit installed and also a backup camera on the license plate mount. When I am towing with this trailer, I just unhook the vehicle backup camera at the rear bumper and plug in the trailer camera. Camera is powered by the interior dome lights. Wasnt too difficult. Easy, cheap, and works great. I can drive full time with the trailer camera video output on the stereo screen up front, and let the kids watch the overhead DVD and sound in the back. I looked at wireless cameras, but Im a cheap bastard.
    I'm lazy, don't like the idea of cords. Especially with my 4 foot hitch extension, just one more thing to add to my asspain of hooking up the rig.
    RM CMC Director