Quote Originally Posted by 64GunPilot View Post
I agree a locked TC is the way to tow and keeps the trans temps down, however, the 4L60 has a weak sun gear that tends to strip the splines, or snap completely regardless of heat. I assume most break because folks are spraying nitrous or have beefed up their engine in some way that the sun gear couldnt hold up. Maybe behind a stock 255hp/330lbft vortec 350 it wouldnt hurt it regardless of the load. IDK. My life is always an adventure, and I tend to ride the envelope of limitations lol.
It was 255/330 for about a week, but admittedly the 4L60 never did pull enclosed. I swapped to the 4L80 before that came about.

Quote Originally Posted by 39PitCrew View Post
When I first started doing race weekends with David and #39 we didn't use the the WD hitch
that he had in the shop. After we figured out the airbags on the tow vehicle where dead he
switched to using the WD hitch. I was sold. Last year I bought a trailer to bring the 77 vette
to Ohio and didn't even think twice about a what hitch to use. My hitch has the option for
sway control but I've found - at least with just the vette on the trailer - that the preload on
the WD hitch does a pretty good job of keeping things straight behind my Avalanche. And I
learned from loading #39 how to make sure the car is well placed on the trailer. I'm sure
it helps that I wasn't hauling all the extra tires and tools and spares that we usually take with
the race car. And it sure makes the truck ride better on some of the rough roads I drove.
My "1500" pulled a 24' enclosed with WD better than open deck without so to me there's no going back either. I've never bothered with anti sway either, not even in cross winds do I feel I need it.