Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Facilities & Etiquette

Senior Member Rookie 64GunPilot's Avatar

Facilities & Etiquette

A couple general track questions regarding track events, facilities, hookups, and etiquette.

Is it ok to spend the night in your racecar trailer at the tracks?

If so is it ok to run an external generator at night for A/C, ect?

Do paddocks have any electricity or are generators required for everything?

Do they charge extra for staying overnight?

Do you guys bring all your fuel in cans to the track?

Do facilities usually have a place to shower? Wife wants to know....

- Dylan

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 64GunPilot View Post
    Is it ok to spend the night in your racecar trailer at the tracks?
    Yes, most of us do this.

If so is it ok to run an external generator at night for A/C, ect?
    Your neighbor may hate you for it, but I left mine running at Hallett overnight. I generally try not to, but if I lived in TX I imagine I'd do it more often.

Do paddocks have any electricity or are generators required for everything?
    Some do, but you pay extra for that luxury.

Do they charge extra for staying overnight?
    None that I'm aware of.

Do you guys bring all your fuel in cans to the track?
    I do, once I'm there I don't want to have to leave. I have seven 5 gallon cans.

Do facilities usually have a place to shower? Wife wants to know....
    Most of the tracks I've been to have some way to shower. I bring my own now.

It'd be better if a Texican chimed in here in case the majority of the tracks down there are vastly different than here, but I doubt that that's the case.
    RM CMC Director

I see. Thanks. So you have like a little tent popup shower type deal that you shower in? Cool.

I've been pitching around the idea of mildly converting my enclosed into a racecar toyhauler type. Just a place to sleep with A/C and heat, small fridge, sink, two spot burner, and a bathroom / shower combo. I think I can make this work in my 20ft enclosed. But it would be tight for the tires, tools, equipment and car to all fit.

A few of us went this route last year. This is me and Bryan at Hallett last year.

Hallett.jpg

I don't think there's any going back now. If you're gonna add AC to the trailer, I recommend insulating first. Not all that hard to do.
    RM CMC Director

Quote Originally Posted by Supercharged111 View Post
    A few of us went this route last year. This is me and Bryan at Hallett last year.

Hallett.jpg

I don't think there's any going back now. If you're gonna add AC to the trailer, I recommend insulating first. Not all that hard to do.
    Nice. Have considered some older v10 class C motorhomes too. But doing a little work to put in a shower / rv toilet and some electrical work for water heater, A/C, and fridge in my trailer would be cheaper. And yes, insulation will go a long way.

How long is your trailer? Living quarters would be too tight in my 24 footer, I have a bench and shelf up front for storage, tire rack along the wall. You'd be amazed at how much crap ends up living in the trailer.
    RM CMC Director

Senior Member Rookie
    I see. Thanks. So you have like a little tent popup shower type deal that you shower in? Cool.

I've been pitching around the idea of mildly converting my enclosed into a racecar toyhauler type. Just a place to sleep with A/C and heat, small fridge, sink, two spot burner, and a bathroom / shower combo. I think I can make this work in my 20ft enclosed. But it would be tight for the tires, tools, equipment and car to all fit.
    If you can pack all that in a 20' your a way more organized than me. But I also have a camper in the bed of my truck so no extra room there. I want a 28' then I will have room for everything.

With a 20' box, having enough space for sleeping is a no brainer since the car isn't in there when you are. Adding a sink, shower and toilet? That's like a tiny house challenge. I mean, an F body is just over 16' so realistically 18' of that trailer is gone when the car is in there. I would suggest you're better off relying on the track for shower and bathroom and spend your efforts on insulation, a/c, quiet generator, and outdoor capable fridge (normal domestic fridges are not designed to cope with 100F ambients).
    Al Fernandez

Senior Member Rookie Cody Powell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Fernandez View Post
    With a 20' box, having enough space for sleeping is a no brainer since the car isn't in there when you are. Adding a sink, shower and toilet? That's like a tiny house challenge. I mean, an F body is just over 16' so realistically 18' of that trailer is gone when the car is in there. I would suggest you're better off relying on the track for shower and bathroom and spend your efforts on insulation, a/c, quiet generator, and outdoor capable fridge (normal domestic fridges are not designed to cope with 100F ambients).
    Don't ask Al, he brings a moving house with him.

24' would be minimum for what you are describing.

I have a 24' with a bench and there is barely enough room for a set of tires on the floor with the car in there.
    Just hangin' with the dudes from Texas.

So what is the etiquette for running generators at night after campfire gatherings ? My current generator runs about 75db. Pretty loud. Or do most paddocks in Texas have electricity for us? If its a problem then maybe I need to shop for a quiet generator.

Don't ask Al, he brings a moving house with him.

24' would be minimum for what you are describing.
    Haha. I so wish my trailer was 24ft. I have a 40 footer triple axle bumper pull, but I need money so Im gonna sell it and my Excursion and downgrade to my older Yukon halfton and keep my 20ft enclosed and 20ft flatbed.