Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Facilities & Etiquette

There's plenty of people that sleep in tents, so sleeping in a Yukon cant be considered more hobo-ish!
    Al Fernandez

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Best shower on the circuit is outdoors at Hallett. Loud gens are annoying but then again almost any gen is loud enough to keep me awake. Depending on the track I bring all my fuel especially for Hallett.

Don't see how you could put all that into a 20' trailer and have room for the car either. I prefer staying in the track in the trailer. Hallett has some electric plugs you can find that you pay for but not sure how many are around that aren't a part of a raceport.

I'm not a fan of using a half ton vehicle with an enclosed trailer though I have only used a 3/4 truck/suburban. I know tow capacity's are claimed pretty high on some new half tons but have to wonder how they really handle a trailer under braking, in wind, etc. Plenty of people do it but I question the safety and durability of it. But I understand the compromise of not wanting a 3/4 ton truck to drive everyday and not want to pull a 40' bumper pull triple axle.
    I'll throw out considering selling both trailers and the yukon then using the Excursion to pull a 24 or 28 depending how much stuff you want to bring or if you want some living quarters. Take the Yukon for a 100 mile test in the wind/heat towing the trailer loaded with all the junk we bring to see how it does before making a big change. See if you can monitor trans temps in overdrive if you have the 4l60 which I assume you do.

Lots of variable and what you want will change so doing a test run before a huge change is my suggestion. I wouldn't worry about being hobo-ish no matter what you do either.

Does one need to have a co2 monitor if running the truck all night and sleeping in it? I'm told motorcycle guys rent diesel vans and leave them running all weekend.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Senior Member Rookie 64GunPilot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanL View Post
    Best shower on the circuit is outdoors at Hallett. Loud gens are annoying but then again almost any gen is loud enough to keep me awake. Depending on the track I bring all my fuel especially for Hallett.

Don't see how you could put all that into a 20' trailer and have room for the car either. I prefer staying in the track in the trailer. Hallett has some electric plugs you can find that you pay for but not sure how many are around that aren't a part of a raceport.

I'm not a fan of using a half ton vehicle with an enclosed trailer though I have only used a 3/4 truck/suburban. I know tow capacity's are claimed pretty high on some new half tons but have to wonder how they really handle a trailer under braking, in wind, etc. Plenty of people do it but I question the safety and durability of it. But I understand the compromise of not wanting a 3/4 ton truck to drive everyday and not want to pull a 40' bumper pull triple axle.
    I'll throw out considering selling both trailers and the yukon then using the Excursion to pull a 24 or 28 depending how much stuff you want to bring or if you want some living quarters. Take the Yukon for a 100 mile test in the wind/heat towing the trailer loaded with all the junk we bring to see how it does before making a big change. See if you can monitor trans temps in overdrive if you have the 4l60 which I assume you do.

Lots of variable and what you want will change so doing a test run before a huge change is my suggestion. I wouldn't worry about being hobo-ish no matter what you do either.

Does one need to have a co2 monitor if running the truck all night and sleeping in it? I'm told motorcycle guys rent diesel vans and leave them running all weekend.
    Bryan, thanks for the advice. Agreed on all. 1/2 tons are not the best for what we pull.

The Trailer:
    I agree a 20ft enclosed isnt much room for it all. While I still think I "could" cram everything in there with some high class ingenuity, I would never be happy with it. So I will hold off on spending any money on it now and wait until I have the trailer that fits me the best. This 20ft is my starter trailer for now.

The Yukon (1999 Denali)
    I agree towing with a half ton SUV is not ideal. The 4l60e is not the best transmission for towing, and I have no idea what rearend gears are in the Yukon. Right now it doesnt even have an engine in it. I bought it for $500 a couple months ago. My dad had his engine in his Tahoe rebuilt right before it was totaled so he gave it to me and I decided to use it as a donor vehicle to bring this Yukon back to life (same year models). I was told the trans was good....praying that is the truth.....If not, then the 2wd 4l60e out of the Tahoe will be used as replacement and the Yukon will no longer be a 4WD. Either way, a trans temp sender and gauge will be added to monitor the temps. I've towed a lot of various stuff with vehicles ranging from small pickups to 1 tons gas and diesel. I agree a 1/2 ton Yukon will suck. But I believe that it "can" do the job.....barely. I just need it to live through the 2019 calendar year. It too is a temporary starter vehicle to get me by for now. And yes, before I sell the Excursion, I will do a fair amount of testing to make sure it is a sound tow vehicle.

The Financial Status:
    The downsizing from a 40 footer and a Diesel Excursion to a 20 footer 1/2 ton Yukon is not a trade most would approve of. But I need to liquidate the Excursion and 40 footer to raise some cash for other things. My wife's flight school is close to $90,000 and as much as I can I am trying to pay it out of pocket as she progresses. So as long as I can safely downgrade, and still support my hobbies then I am ok with the sacrifice. When I get back from deployment in July 2020, my financial situation will be 200% better. July 2020 rolls around, she'll be flying airlines commercially with her ATP, we will have a dual income, all debts far and wide will be paid in full with a good nest egg of savings, and I'll be just getting back from hopefully my last deployment. We can really spread our wings then. In my mind, I imagine it to be glorious!! I plan on a new-ish 3/4 ton diesel, 28ft trailer, a nice generator, ect ect, the list goes on. But thats still a ways away, and Im not counting the chickens before they hatch.

For now, Im gonna try and live and operate as frugal as I safely can while still participating in our hobbies. KEY WORD "SAFELY". Normally I'd go out and buy two Honda generators, new trailer, get some 17" CTW wheels and tires, and show up ready to rock. But this is just one phase of my life that I have some other financial obligations to handle.

I will mature in this hobby slowly but surely.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    The only weaknesses of that 1500 Yukon are a short wheelbase (non-fixable), weak dick transmission (totally swappable), weak ass springs (fixable), and brakes compared to a 2500. With a 20 foot trailer and smart mods, safety shouldn't be much of an ordeal, more like ease of handling. I've hauled my 24 footer for years with my modded 1500, though it has corrected as many of my previously ID'd weaknesses as possible. I now haul it primarily with a crew cab dually and holy crap, even with a 5000# slide in camper and massive 4 foot hitch extension, is the difference amazing. No matter how much I prefer to pull with that dually, my modded 1500 hits so hard that it is the winter tow vehicle of choice. That will likely change once I bolt a Whipple back onto the 3500, but in the meantime I'm trying to keep miles and rust off of the dually for the long term.
    RM CMC Director

The only mod i have planned are airbags. If I go easy on it, the trans should hold up. 60mph in 3rd should do it. Maybe ill get lucky and find a 4L80e behind its blown engine. If not I have a spare 2wd 4L60 with driveshaft on standby.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Definitely invest in weight distributing and anti sway hitch!

When my trailer started getting nose heavy, even with the bags aired up the trailer would bully the truck around a little until I got one.

Makes emergency lane changes a lot better too.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 64GunPilot View Post
    The only mod i have planned are airbags. If I go easy on it, the trans should hold up. 60mph in 3rd should do it. Maybe ill get lucky and find a 4L80e behind its blown engine. If not I have a spare 2wd 4L60 with driveshaft on standby.
    I wouldn't bother with hindering speed. If you're gonna hold it in 3rd and the converter is locked that's as good as it gets. Just haul ass if you want to ASSuming you have an auxiliary cooler, as long as that converter is locked and coolant holds its own the trans will too. I have a trans temp gauge in my 1500 and learned enough about how the trans operates to not bother with a gauge in the 3500. Plus what Pranav said, but I think you already have a WD hitch?
    RM CMC Director

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Blog Entries
    I witnessed Pranav do an emergency lane change with his trailer at highway speed that involved a lane change that would have made any autocrosser in a CRX proud. Except he was in his truck with trailer, #54, etc...

It was impressive. I was sold on the weight distributing/anti-sway hitch after that!

Quote Originally Posted by Pranav View Post
    Definitely invest in weight distributing and anti sway hitch!

When my trailer started getting nose heavy, even with the bags aired up the trailer would bully the truck around a little until I got one.

Makes emergency lane changes a lot better too.
    Daniel Records
    CMC # 34

Quote Originally Posted by drecords View Post
    I witnessed Pranav do an emergency lane change with his trailer at highway speed that involved a lane change that would have made any autocrosser in a CRX proud. Except he was in his truck with trailer, #54, etc...

It was impressive. I was sold on the weight distributing/anti-sway hitch after that!
    Yea for sure. I have two different types of WD hitches.....one is an Anderson WD Hitch which is unconventional (pain in the ass to setup and doesnt work as well), and a typical trunnion bar WD hitch that Mike Plum let me have inclusive when I bought his car with the trailer and all. I used his WD hitch from California and the trailer pulled amazing. I'll be using it anytime I hook up. It doesnt have sway control, but I never once felt I needed it. Between the weight and strength of the Excursion, the WD hitch, and the nice smooth running torsion axles on the trailer, it was the best pulling experience I have ever had. But Im loosing about 2000lbs downgrading from the Excursion to the Yukon. So, sway control may be something I will need to invest in. We'll see. If I have to put a bunch of band-aids on this concept (sway control, air bags, transmission ect) then I will just keep the Excursion and find another way to raise some cash.

The Yukon is just a temporary tow vehicle to get me through the 2019 season (really only 3 or 4 events, plus an ATV camping trip to Oliver Springs TN with my kiddos probably with my flatbed). So it only needs to survive 5 towing trips.

I wouldn't bother with hindering speed. If you're gonna hold it in 3rd and the converter is locked that's as good as it gets. Just haul ass if you want to ASSuming you have an auxiliary cooler, as long as that converter is locked and coolant holds its own the trans will too. I have a trans temp gauge in my 1500 and learned enough about how the trans operates to not bother with a gauge in the 3500. Plus what Pranav said, but I think you already have a WD hitch?
    I agree a locked TC is the way to tow and keeps the trans temps down, however, the 4L60 has a weak sun gear that tends to strip the splines, or snap completely regardless of heat. I assume most break because folks are spraying nitrous or have beefed up their engine in some way that the sun gear couldnt hold up. Maybe behind a stock 255hp/330lbft vortec 350 it wouldnt hurt it regardless of the load. IDK. My life is always an adventure, and I tend to ride the envelope of limitations lol.

Quote Originally Posted by drecords View Post

When I first started doing race weekends with David and #39 we didn't use the the WD hitch
    that he had in the shop. After we figured out the airbags on the tow vehicle where dead he
    switched to using the WD hitch. I was sold. Last year I bought a trailer to bring the 77 vette
    to Ohio and didn't even think twice about a what hitch to use. My hitch has the option for
    sway control but I've found - at least with just the vette on the trailer - that the preload on
    the WD hitch does a pretty good job of keeping things straight behind my Avalanche. And I
    learned from loading #39 how to make sure the car is well placed on the trailer. I'm sure
    it helps that I wasn't hauling all the extra tires and tools and spares that we usually take with
    the race car. And it sure makes the truck ride better on some of the rough roads I drove.
    --
    ------__o
    -----_\ <,_
    ----(_)/ (_)
    Laissez les bons temps rouler