Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: More durable/affordable tire option?

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    The 255’s are a smaller OD and will affect gearing for folks. The load rating is also noticeably higher on the 245’s
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Supercharged111 View Post
    Because this is a science experiment at this point, have you guys considered super sizing and running the 615 in TT or PTX/STX and Toyos in CMC in the same weekend to preserve car counts?

On a side note, will 225 tires fit my Z06 wheels? The desired end state here is reduction in costs, sure would suck if I had to run out and find new wheels.
    This is what I had originally proposed. TT test on Azenis and class race on Toyo. Then things went off the deep end
    Daniel Records
    CMC # 34

Quote Originally Posted by Sook View Post
    $279.05/Tire this year.

- Josh
    Damn! I remember when I as buying RA1's for $175/ea...
    Ah, fugg it.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by drecords View Post
    This is what I had originally proposed. TT test on Azenis and class race on Toyo. Then things went off the deep end
    Nobody has committed to anything yet. The test group can go that way if they want. I don't think the data is quite as good but it might be sufficient. At least good enough to see if more testing is warranted. Costs more for the test participants but they would get to race with the rest of the group.

Richard P.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardP View Post
    Nobody has committed to anything yet. The test group can go that way if they want. I don't think the data is quite as good but it might be sufficient. At least good enough to see if more testing is warranted. Costs more for the test participants but they would get to race with the rest of the group.

Richard P.
    I could go either way I suppose. If we're actually racing I think it'll be a better test in the heat of battle.

So the 245/45/17 Azenis is nearly the same OD as the 275/40/17 RRs. The 255/40/17 Azenis is wider than the 245 (obviously), should be better for wear and heat. The 255 Azenis is 0.6" smaller in OD (25.6" OD for the RR, 25" for the 255 Azenis). The price difference for the 255/245 Azenis is less than $1 on tire rack. These tires are in the $150 range - tires at this price would substantially change my ability to show up to races and prepare the car.

255: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...omCompare1=yes

245: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...omCompare1=yes

- Josh
    CMC #50

Quote Originally Posted by Sook View Post
    I could go either way I suppose. If we're actually racing I think it'll be a better test in the heat of battle.

So the 245/45/17 Azenis is nearly the same OD as the 275/40/17 RRs. The 255/40/17 Azenis is wider than the 245 (obviously), should be better for wear and heat. The 255 Azenis is 0.6" smaller in OD (25.6" OD for the RR, 25" for the 255 Azenis). The price difference for the 255/245 Azenis is less than $1 on tire rack. These tires are in the $150 range - tires at this price would substantially change my ability to show up to races and prepare the car.

255: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...omCompare1=yes

245: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...omCompare1=yes

- Josh
    I think the 245 is the better option and I think it will actually handle the heat better by the load ratings(10%+ higher on the 245).

Should we do a poll? The 255 may run out of gear w/o a RR OD on your trans at some tracks (cota?).

My vote is 245
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Quote Originally Posted by mach1 View Post
    I think the 245 is the better option and I think it will actually handle the heat better by the load ratings(10%+ higher on the 245).

Should we do a poll? The 255 may run out of gear w/o a RR OD on your trans at some tracks (cota?).

My vote is 245

According to the Falken tire website, the 245 isn't good for the width of the wheels we run. http://www.falkentire.com/tires/pass...is-rt615k-tire

245 = 7.5-9.0"
    255 = 8.5-10.0"
    275 = 9.0-11.0"

There are a lot of 9.5" wide wheels in the CMC field.

Additionally, right now big black doughnuts are a common and minor form of damage on the sides of our bodywork. At some point, wheel contact would cause more damage to both cars. Not the best money saving option.

Richard P.

In miataland 225's on 15x9 is very common and works quite well, the wider wheel helps the tire work better. I wouldn't worry about that, the donuts on the other hand are an interesting point indeed!
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Rob Liebbe's Avatar
    2 cents from the past and now outside....

There were several reasons that I stopped racing, some race-related and some not. However, the RR tire issue was a big factor for leaving and remains an issue that would have to be resolved before I return. The issues of cost, build quality (mostly the threat of tread seam separation), performance drop-off and Toyo contingency parity seem to reflect what a lot of others have already stated.

I believe that Nitto is still part of the Toyo family. The Nitto NT01 is a very good tire with a lower performance capacity but with better lifetime consistency, a lot like the old RA1. With that in mind, does anyone think that Toyo would be interested in having the Nitto NT01 as the CMC tire the Toyo RR as the AI tire? This would better match the cost factors of the two series and allow Toyo to put the Nitto name out there a bit more. The risk there is that Toyo will just crank the pricing up on the NT01 due to being a race specific tire.

UTGR treadwear numbers are not exactly reliable performance indicators. The treadwear number that is generated in controlled tests is the highest number that the tire manufacturer can put on the tire. The manufacturer can choose to advertise a 200 TW tire as a 140 TW tire if they choose to do so to market the tire as a high-performance model. They cannot say that a 140 TW tire is a 200TW tire.

Contingency programs that award heavily to the top finishers need to be evaluated, especially with a tire that is considerably faster as a sticker tire. Aaron McSpadden capitalized on this when he ran CMC and was able to have fresh tires at every session that he wanted. I will give kudos to Aaron for having a good set-up and reliable car as well as high driving skills. I don't think the top contingency prize should be able to fully fund an entire tire budget.

Currently, if I was to get my CMC car out of storage, I would buy a set of NT01's and run a variety of different events on different tracks with a variety of groups.

Oh, and man do I miss TWS!

Rob Liebbe
    Rob Liebbe - Texas Region
    Camaro, Mustang, doesn't matter to me, I'll race it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Liebbe View Post
    The Nitto NT01 is a very good tire with a lower performance capacity but with better lifetime consistency, a lot like the old RA1.

Is it currently, though? I've run the NT01 before. It was fine but I didn't do a detailed comparison of performance from old to new. The bigger question is whether the NT01 you can buy now is the same that you ran before? The RA1 went through at least three iterations while we were running it (I'm guessing more) even though Toyo denied it. The current RR is different than the RR we started on. The common end of life for RR's when we started was a light cording of the outside edge all the way around the tire. It was guaranteed if you didn't flip the tire on the rim after the first event even though the tread seemed to be wearing evenly otherwise. I haven't seen an RR cord like that in a couple of years even when we don't flip them. What else have they changed???

Richard P.