Thread: More durable/affordable tire option?

Hybrid View

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Blog Entries

More durable/affordable tire option?

All,

Starting this thread to see where people are at on this subject. Looking at my season costs, tires are #1 on the list. The current RR seems to fall off around 8HC and then really hard after 12HC and in my case at MSR-H on Friday, were so far gone by 15 that the car handled funky and couldn't even be called predictable. New tires fixed the ailment... Loose nut behind the wheel has yet to be 'fixed'

From talking to a few of you, it sounds like we have similar experiences. Testing the groups feelings around moving to a 200TW street tire like the Falken Azenis RT615K+. I cite this one because it's available in a 275/40/17. Reviews suggest they do pretty well on the long Enduro cars and I didn't see much (from an inexhaustive search) about negatives...no easily found cases of chunking, greasing up, etc.

That all being said, I'm not sensitive to the politics that put us on toyo, nor can I see the downside to buying 2 sets a season instead of 7. Also cheaper per tire to the tune of about $54. 208 vs 262 on tirerack.

If there's enough agreement, I'd be willing to pony up for a set for cresson and run the street tire time trial class to see how laptimes stack up...

Cliff notes: RR's too expensive, whiney records wants cheaper tires.

Flamesuit on...
    Daniel Records
    CMC # 34

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    If we can get 5 on board I'll CMC race you in Cresson on Azenis

2 down 3 to go...

Actually, you may want to reach out to some of the 200TW tire manu's to see if they will sponsor our class with their own contingency.
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Francice and myself ran NT01s for a enduro. Four hour enduro and the tires hardly look worn. David raced on them for probably a season second and fourth race they hold up really well.

Nitto NT01 High Performance Tire - 275/40R17 98Z https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004QL6PYY..._kYAwCbY5BNQKC

Quote Originally Posted by mach1 View Post
    If we can get 5 on board I'll CMC race you in Cresson on Azenis

2 down 3 to go...

Actually, you may want to reach out to some of the 200TW tire manu's to see if they will sponsor our class with their own contingency.
    I'm interested in this experiment as well. 3/5

Class of 5 CMC/Azeni cars.

- Josh
    CMC #50

I did a 24 hour enduro in an integra (really light car*) on one set of azenis, no chunking, no real fall off in laptimes from the very first session to the very last. Tires still had lots of life left at the end.

- Josh
    CMC #50

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    FWIW I had the 615s when they first came out, so pre-K, and they got greasy and scary when hot. This was on a 2400# car in the touge of Okinawa, no way in hell I ever heated those the way I have heated tires on the Camaro and Z06 here on real tracks. That's always stuck in the back of my mind. I know the compound has changed, but I never really hear of people raving about these tires for track days, HPDE, etc even if they are the Formula D tire of choice. I'd caution you about trying to get a contingency deal from Falken though, you'd be stepping on NASA/Toyo toes.
    RM CMC Director

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The NT01's make more since to me but if we get a tire that last we don't need a contingency.

JJ

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Supercharged111 View Post
    FWIW I had the 615s when they first came out, so pre-K, and they got greasy and scary when hot. This was on a 2400# car in the touge of Okinawa, no way in hell I ever heated those the way I have heated tires on the Camaro and Z06 here on real tracks. That's always stuck in the back of my mind. I know the compound has changed, but I never really hear of people raving about these tires for track days, HPDE, etc even if they are the Formula D tire of choice. I'd caution you about trying to get a contingency deal from Falken though, you'd be stepping on NASA/Toyo toes.
    My understanding is that the 615K+ fixed the greasing issue...haven't read anyone having trouble with new compound tires specifically.

On contingency, my thought would be that we wouldn't pursue it given than the number of tires needed per season was drastically reduced. Even winning an event a weekend and finishing well in another, a top guy is spending 3-500 per event to stay on sticker RR's depending on how close to the top step of the podium he was. If Azenis last say, 3 weekends we're spending $250-275 per weekend on tires. If you don't get contingency, well...you guys can do math

I'm not looking to step on toes w.r.t. toyo and NASA, just trying to find a way to make our racing more cost effective and still just as much fun. TOYO makes the R1R which is a 200TW street tire, maybe we consider that option?

The NT01 is made by Nitto...so we'd still be leaving the toyo umbrella with that one, though I liked those tires on the ecobooze at COTA.
    Daniel Records
    CMC # 34