Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: More durable/affordable tire option?

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    I got mine from Phil's Tire late last year, but they were already a year old. Maybe they only make them every other year.
    RM CMC Director

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelmosty View Post
    Where has anyone been able to buy a set of RR’s from? I haven’t bought a set since middle of last year and can’t find anyone that has any in stock to ship to a residence.
    Did you try simple tire?
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Where has anyone been able to buy a set of RR’s from? I haven’t bought a set since middle of last year and can’t find anyone that has any in stock to ship to a residence.
    Supply low, demand high - I'll sell you my set for $2k delivered to the track!

Just kidding of course, it's actually $5k.

Jkjk,
    - Josh
    CMC #50

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Blog Entries
    Since I also bought Azenis I got a set of second hand new stickers from Matt White for a discount. Have you called tirerack to see what they can do? They've been great to me over the years.
    Daniel Records
    CMC # 34

According to Falken they are molded to 8/32nds, the same as the RA1s. Back when we ran them, all the fast guys shaved them. I'm not sure its realistic to police tread depth, but certainly open to suggestions.
    Al Fernandez

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Blog Entries
    Mine are mounted and full tread depth. Will be running them Friday all day on my car to see if I can do something to hurt them. I'm on the fence about running TT, it gets more heat cycles quicker but with Josh doing the test last weekend and me running them in practice Friday idk what additional data we want to gather from TT sessions on them. If somebody thinks we can get data from me in TT I'm happy to add it at the track.
    Daniel Records
    CMC # 34

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Fernandez View Post
    According to Falken they are molded to 8/32nds, the same as the RA1s. Back when we ran them, all the fast guys shaved them. I'm not sure its realistic to police tread depth, but certainly open to suggestions.
    Well, we wouldn't be policing tread depth. The whole point of this exercise is to find a tire that we can run down to no tread while still being competitive. We would be trying to police shaving. A shaved tire has a very distinctive surface. That surface goes away with track use but it takes a bit to completely go away. That use would have to happen at an event away from a race event. I think a burnout could get rid of about 80% of the shaving marks but wouldn't get them all.

So, it's not that a shaving rule couldn't be cheated. It would just be a big hassle. I think anyone going to that much trouble to cheat is already cheating in ways that aren't going to be found by the level of tech that we are currently doing...

Richard P.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by RichardP View Post
    Well, we wouldn't be policing tread depth. The whole point of this exercise is to find a tire that we can run down to no tread while still being competitive. We would be trying to police shaving. A shaved tire has a very distinctive surface. That surface goes away with track use but it takes a bit to completely go away. That use would have to happen at an event away from a race event. I think a burnout could get rid of about 80% of the shaving marks but wouldn't get them all.

So, it's not that a shaving rule couldn't be cheated. It would just be a big hassle. I think anyone going to that much trouble to cheat is already cheating in ways that aren't going to be found by the level of tech that we are currently doing...

Richard P.
    And really, if the tire testing finds a tire that is decently competitive from stickers to cords, tread depth and shaving become much less interesting.
    Or at least incentive to shave a tire and the work to hide it if it's not legal to do so drops quite a bit.
    Last edited by 39PitCrew; 03-06-2019 at 12:57 PM.
    --
    ------__o
    -----_\ <,_
    ----(_)/ (_)
    Laissez les bons temps rouler

Quote Originally Posted by 39PitCrew View Post
    And really, if the tire testing finds a tire that is decently competitive from stickers to cords, tread depth and shaving become much less interesting.
    Or at least incentive to shave a tire and the work to hide it if it's not legal to do so drops quite a bit.
    NT01...have many that are date coded 2011 and still plan on using them till cords show. Been trying to kill them for several years.
    Ah, fugg it.

I learned a bunch in SM at Cresson, 15hc toyos were also as fast as stickers this past event for me.
    I am going to Hallett in 2 weeks with SCCA, the Hoosiers are only supposed to be good for 4-5hc.

The SM guys were saying toyos are fast up to 15-20 at msrc and Hallett but you have to sticker up at COTA
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net