Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: More durable/affordable tire option?

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Quote Originally Posted by Sook View Post
    Lots of discussion going on, glad to see that. Ideas are all over the map, at least we're having the talk!

The weather this weekend isn't looking great, so I'll at least get to text azenis as rain tires

Got em mounted, I'm wondering if they'll rub more than the RRs.

Attachment 1872

- Josh
    Tires look good!!
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Senior Member Rookie 64GunPilot's Avatar
    People talk about the R888 debacle. What went wrong there? 615's vs R888 vs R888r? Prices are about the same on Tirerack. Curious to know why everyone dislikes the R888?
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________
    -Dylan
    3rd Gen CMC Wannabee

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 64GunPilot View Post
    People talk about the R888 debacle. What went wrong there? 615's vs R888 vs R888r? Prices are about the same on Tirerack. Curious to know why everyone dislikes the R888?
    The R888 when we were running it got greasy if you pushed it too hard. It wasn't fun to drive or race. It was said that it needed a more sophisticated driver to extract it's full performance. The AI/CMC group gave a big middle finger to that...

I would guess the compound has been revised since then, especially in the newer R888R???

Richard P.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Fernandez View Post
    brand new unshaved tires, brand new 2/32s tires
    I'm not planning doing any tests with shaved tires. Just write the rule to not allow shaving. If it's possible to gain a performance advantage by paying extra to turn the tires into one weekend or one day tires by shaving them, then there is no point in switching tires.

If someone else wants to spend the money on shaved tires to test, I would be interested in the data. But, that same money spent to add to the sample size of the regular tire test would be much more useful.

Richard P.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    What is the tread depth of the tire Josh and Dan are going to test?

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Sook View Post
    Got em mounted

- Josh
    I've gotten mine mounted also. It's getting a bit out of hand. I have four vehicles and a trailer, all sitting on their tires and this stack is still left over. There is something wrong with us...

Richard P.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post
    What is the tread depth of the tire Josh and Dan are going to test?

Jerry
    I haven't measured them yet. Starting at full tread. Measuring will certainly be part of the testing. Also part of the test is to see if they can handle full abuse at full tread depth without chunking. Most street tires can't but these have very large tread blocks and I haven't heard of people having problems with them even though most people are using them as track tires.

Richard P.

Quote Originally Posted by drecords View Post
    We can actually make this happen.

As far as I know, Josh is running in a set of sticker RT615K+ at MSRH this weekend and will have those with him at MSRC. I'm bringing a set of sticker RT615K+ to MSRC with me and plan to use them for a portion of the friday test and saturday warm-up and TT sessions.

We could make Josh put on a blindfold and 'change' his tires friday and have him go run a session, then come back and we'll 'change' his tires again and not tell him what we're putting on. IE -- may not have put stickers on etc. Would be close to a blind eval and I think he is consistent enough to make it a reasonably successful test and it won't be his first session ever on those tires.

Also -- in line with my original proposal, I will run them in friday practice (4 sessions-ish), saturday warmup, sunday warmup, and then maybe we'll do an AIX Race 4 Sunday for the street tire cars to evaluate how the tires 'race' to be sensitive to the other potential issues that are out there.
    Since we don't appear to be doing a full tire test at Cresson, Josh had to buy a set of Toyo's to race on. That, combined with the test tires, fixing his brakes from the last race, and the general costs of running events in back to back weekends has Josh running a bit thin. Last I heard he wasn't planning to do the Friday test day or TT sessions.

Richard P.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Fernandez View Post
    Personally I would think we'd want to spend a bit of time simply driving on these (and building heat cycles) and optimizing setup before thinking we're ready for a test. I would be surprised if we did not find that they require different alignment, pressures, and spring/damper settings to work well.
    All that setup work (specific to Josh's car, anyway) is planned for this weekend. That's assuming the weather plays nice. The forecast is all over the map and changing every time I look. If the weather holds out, we will have a full weekend of setup and heat cycles on his tires with the stickers still on mine. If the skies open up, Josh's won't have as many effective cycles on them and mine won't be stickers anymore...

Richard P.

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    Where has anyone been able to buy a set of RR’s from? I haven’t bought a set since middle of last year and can’t find anyone that has any in stock to ship to a residence.
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region