Thread: More durable/affordable tire option?

Hybrid View

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drecords View Post
    I don't know the answer to this, I don't know that it's something we can count on...most people who look to get into the sport come at it from a car cost perspective and less on what consumables cost initially. At least that was my experience.

I'm coming at this from the angle that it's unsustainable to have a $10k race car and spend $6-8k on tires per season to be competitive.

That being said, I think CMC will be a more attractive landing spot for folks making the step to W2W if we have competitive operating costs. To attract more racers I think we should look to what Spec Corvette is doing w.r.t. social media presence, etc. Different subject for a different thread though...
    You are correct about car prices being why someone may look at CMC to start racing for the first time but it does not take long to figure out that tire cost is the killer. Also I wonder how many racers would consider dropping down to CMC from another class (assuming they needed to cut their cost of racing but still wanted to race wheel to wheel) but they know the tire issue and just drop out of racing all together. I can name several guys that used to run CMC that will not come back due to the tire issue (cost).

JJ

JKJ

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post
    You are correct about car prices being why someone may look at CMC to start racing for the first time but it does not take long to figure out that tire cost is the killer. Also I wonder how many racers would consider dropping down to CMC from another class (assuming they needed to cut their cost of racing but still wanted to race wheel to wheel) but they know the tire issue and just drop out of racing all together. I can name several guys that used to run CMC that will not come back due to the tire issue (cost).

JJ

JKJ
    Any class that runs the RR has the same problem. The classes that don't run RR's either run the Maxxis RC1 or a Hoosier. Maxxis has the better contingency (and better tire life) but you won't win without a Hoosier, which doesn't have near as good of a contingency program as Toyo or Maxxis.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    How does the RC1 handle heat cycles? Maybe it's an option?

$1300 for stickers for Cresson hurts right now, Hoping we can get 5 to agree on an alternative. Then of course, what about the summer shootout....
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mach1 View Post
    How does the RC1 handle heat cycles? Maybe it's an option?

$1300 for stickers for Cresson hurts right now, Hoping we can get 5 to agree on an alternative. Then of course, what about the summer shootout....
    Maxxis RC-1 appears to be out of stock.