Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: More durable/affordable tire option?

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post
    You are correct about car prices being why someone may look at CMC to start racing for the first time but it does not take long to figure out that tire cost is the killer. Also I wonder how many racers would consider dropping down to CMC from another class (assuming they needed to cut their cost of racing but still wanted to race wheel to wheel) but they know the tire issue and just drop out of racing all together. I can name several guys that used to run CMC that will not come back due to the tire issue (cost).

JJ

JKJ
    Any class that runs the RR has the same problem. The classes that don't run RR's either run the Maxxis RC1 or a Hoosier. Maxxis has the better contingency (and better tire life) but you won't win without a Hoosier, which doesn't have near as good of a contingency program as Toyo or Maxxis.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    How does the RC1 handle heat cycles? Maybe it's an option?

$1300 for stickers for Cresson hurts right now, Hoping we can get 5 to agree on an alternative. Then of course, what about the summer shootout....
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mach1 View Post
    How does the RC1 handle heat cycles? Maybe it's an option?

$1300 for stickers for Cresson hurts right now, Hoping we can get 5 to agree on an alternative. Then of course, what about the summer shootout....
    Maxxis RC-1 appears to be out of stock.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by drecords View Post
    My understanding is that the 615K+ fixed the greasing issue...haven't read anyone having trouble with new compound tires specifically.

On contingency, my thought would be that we wouldn't pursue it given than the number of tires needed per season was drastically reduced. Even winning an event a weekend and finishing well in another, a top guy is spending 3-500 per event to stay on sticker RR's depending on how close to the top step of the podium he was. If Azenis last say, 3 weekends we're spending $250-275 per weekend on tires. If you don't get contingency, well...you guys can do math

I'm not looking to step on toes w.r.t. toyo and NASA, just trying to find a way to make our racing more cost effective and still just as much fun. TOYO makes the R1R which is a 200TW street tire, maybe we consider that option?

The NT01 is made by Nitto...so we'd still be leaving the toyo umbrella with that one, though I liked those tires on the ecobooze at COTA.
    I know your intent is not to step on toes, that's why I just said be careful depending on how far you take this. On the other hand the powers that be may notice and take interest in a good way depending on how it's perceived.

Quote Originally Posted by Pranav View Post
    You guys are over complicating it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jQeBbEbztc
    Hmm, we ought to be able to use that to fulfill the 4 sticker minimum?
    RM CMC Director

The #82 and #99 are on board for a falken test at Cresson. That makes 5, the more the merrier.

- Josh
    CMC #50

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Supercharged111 View Post
    I know your intent is not to step on toes, that's why I just said be careful depending on how far you take this. On the other hand the powers that be may notice and take interest in a good way depending on how it's perceived.

Hmm, we ought to be able to use that to fulfill the 4 sticker minimum?
    My aim is simple, I want to have fun racing the best class in road racing, with the best people, for less money. I don't have a political motive, I don't hate Toyo. Their product isnt bad...they're great tires for 8-12HC. Edited.
    Last edited by drecords; 02-06-2019 at 12:53 PM.
    Daniel Records
    CMC # 34

Senior Member Carroll Shelby AllZWay's Avatar
    I don't remember the tire Matt White had on the car for the 8 hour enduro at COTA, but that was a pretty impressive tire. It ran all 8 hours and could have ran all 16 hours I think and didn't seem to give up much over the day.

I never raced the RR, but the old Toyo tire was pretty comparable and this tire was full tread.

Quote Originally Posted by Sook View Post
    The #82 and #99 are on board for a falken test at Cresson. That makes 5, the more the merrier.

- Josh
    Boom! $814 shipped from tire rack vs $1100+ for RR's, love it!
    Ironic, RR's are backordered from Tirerack....
    Last edited by mach1; 02-06-2019 at 03:17 PM.
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Blog Entries
    Great points throughout this thread. Ever since we left the original RA1 I think the tires have hurt our series. I don't care if lap times are two seconds slower-finding a tire that doesn't fall off past 20 heat cycles I believe would only help our series.

Completely agree this isn't the sort of class that someone should have to budget what their car is worth in tires alone. The tires have doubled the cost of a season of racing if you want to be at all consistently competitive.

If it works for Spec Corvette then it should work for us (I hope). They have more power than us and about the same weight and if we could get 4 weekends out of a set I think it would be awesome. It would also help people wanting to run test days and practice.

I agree with whiny Records. I'll also throw out if we are all on a different tire without a contingency then we could all hit Hallett again and see if their Comma group would put us in a race class or one with a separate start. Jerry and I discussed and we would rather go to Hallett twice a year now that we have lost TWS.

If Discount carried them you could stock up when they have their sale and likely knock another $100 off a set. But sounds like I would only need 1 set per year which would be awesome.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanL View Post
    Great points throughout this thread. Ever since we left the original RA1 I think the tires have hurt our series. I don't care if lap times are two seconds slower-finding a tire that doesn't fall off past 20 heat cycles I believe would only help our series.

Completely agree this isn't the sort of class that someone should have to budget what their car is worth in tires alone. The tires have doubled the cost of a season of racing if you want to be at all consistently competitive.

If it works for Spec Corvette then it should work for us (I hope). They have more power than us and about the same weight and if we could get 4 weekends out of a set I think it would be awesome. It would also help people wanting to run test days and practice.

I agree with whiny Records. I'll also throw out if we are all on a different tire without a contingency then we could all hit Hallett again and see if their Comma group would put us in a race class or one with a separate start. Jerry and I discussed and we would rather go to Hallett twice a year now that we have lost TWS.

If Discount carried them you could stock up when they have their sale and likely knock another $100 off a set. But sounds like I would only need 1 set per year which would be awesome.
    Discount sells em. If you catch it right and sign up for their credit card you can get some screaming discounts...
    Daniel Records
    CMC # 34