Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: More durable/affordable tire option?

A couple of additional variables:

What is the tread depth of the test tire as it sits on the shelf and would they be faster if shaved? If indeed there is a compound/design that eliminates drop off due to heat cycles (or Richard's time at heat) then would the tire actually get faster and faster as the weight is shaved off and ultimately being fastest right before it cords? Is it possible we flip to a "thin to win" world where you're buying new tires every weekend, shaving them to 1/32" and hoping to not cord them before the checker?

Why the Azenis? There are at least 10 200utqg rated tires in 255 (which we ran for years) and some are a lot cheaper than the 615+. The Kumho V720 is 140!
    Al Fernandez

So ok, taking my competitor hat off and putting on my series official hat...
    Cars that are not cmc legal can’t score cmc points, so classing cars in six would appear logical. What Will does with such a run group would be his call. I have told Shawn Meze (nasa national competition director) about this discussion so hopefully atwe will get some input from nasa on the situation.
    Al Fernandez

Quote Originally Posted by Al Fernandez View Post
    A couple of additional variables:

What is the tread depth of the test tire as it sits on the shelf and would they be faster if shaved? If indeed there is a compound/design that eliminates drop off due to heat cycles (or Richard's time at heat) then would the tire actually get faster and faster as the weight is shaved off and ultimately being fastest right before it cords? Is it possible we flip to a "thin to win" world where you're buying new tires every weekend, shaving them to 1/32" and hoping to not cord them before the checker?

Why the Azenis? There are at least 10 200utqg rated tires in 255 (which we ran for years) and some are a lot cheaper than the 615+. The Kumho V720 is 140!
    The azenis have at least some pedigree in other race/track classes. See TT street tire class, and spec Corvette, without shaving (so far).

- Josh
    CMC #50

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Because this is a science experiment at this point, have you guys considered super sizing and running the 615 in TT or PTX/STX and Toyos in CMC in the same weekend to preserve car counts?

On a side note, will 225 tires fit my Z06 wheels? The desired end state here is reduction in costs, sure would suck if I had to run out and find new wheels.
    Last edited by Supercharged111; 02-16-2019 at 02:18 PM.
    RM CMC Director

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Quote Originally Posted by Supercharged111 View Post
    Because this is a science experiment at this point, have you guys considered super sizing and running the 615 in TT or PTX/STX and Toyos in CMC in the same weekend to preserve car counts?

On a side note, will 225 tires fit my Z06 wheels? The desired end state here is reduction in costs, sure would suck if I had to run out and find new wheels.
    Great point on sizing! A 245 is 150 per tire, same od and will fit 17x9.5 without issue, perfect tire!
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Quote Originally Posted by mach1 View Post
    Great point on sizing! A 245 is 150 per tire, same od and will fit 17x9.5 without issue, perfect tire!
    I was looking at 255s, the price difference to the 275 is substantial. I think for the first test we should all be on the same size tire.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...15KP&tab=Sizes

- Josh
    CMC #50

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Fernandez View Post
    What is the tread depth of the test tire as it sits on the shelf and would they be faster if shaved?
    Definitely one of the advantages of the current RR is no shaving. Shaving adds cost and significantly reduces the places available to purchase. I think a rule that tire shaving isn't allowed would be fine. We already have rules that are hard to police (including using tire treatment on the current tires). In order to cheat the no shaving rule, you would have to buy shaved tires and then run them hard for a while at an event where there aren't any other competitors to see what you are doing. If the tire grip doesn't degrade with use, this would likely be a big hassle and a waste of time.

Of course, the big disadvantage of the current RRs is that they don't work as rain tires. You need an extra set of wheels with a special set of tires (that are probably going to dry rot before you get to use them) to be competitive when the skies open up. The difference between the haves and have-nots is huge in a downpour. You also have the game of guessing what the best tire is when conditions are changing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sook View Post
    I was looking at 255s, the price difference to the 275 is substantial. I think for the first test we should all be on the same size tire.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...15KP&tab=Sizes

- Josh
    255s sound good to me. $600 every two events vs. $1100 every event would be a serious game changer in overall racing costs. Also, your rain tires would just be the next set of fresh tires that you were going to buy and use anyway.

Richard P.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    No one has purchased yet, correct? We should totally do 255s, I’m pumped for 2 sets for the price of 1 and last 2-3 times longer.
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mach1 View Post
    No one has purchased yet, correct? We should totally do 255s, I’m pumped for 2 sets for the price of 1 and last 2-3 times longer.
    I don't believe anyone has purchased yet but we are rapidly approaching where it's time to shit or get off the pot.

We currently have Dan, Josh, Tyler, and Records. I haven't ever had rain tires before and want some to run DEs. Now that I have a couple sets of extra wheels, I'm in for a set to use as rains. I'll let josh run them for a race.

Josh is planning on running these tires as much as possible at the Driver's Edge event the weekend before. Maybe Records too??? Josh would start the weekend on used tires and compete against stickers. On Sunday morning, Josh would swap to my stickers for qual and the first race. Going from three day old to stickers on the current RRs would make an obvious difference against the rest of the field. Will it with these tires? Josh would then swap back for the 4th race for a back to back comparison.

More driver's on these tires would be better. More people swapping between old and new of this tire would be best. I think we can learn a lot from what we are currently planning.

Richard P.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Supercharged111 View Post

I meant 255, but my question was still answered.
    RM CMC Director