Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More durable/affordable tire option?

Hybrid View

A couple of additional variables:

What is the tread depth of the test tire as it sits on the shelf and would they be faster if shaved? If indeed there is a compound/design that eliminates drop off due to heat cycles (or Richard's time at heat) then would the tire actually get faster and faster as the weight is shaved off and ultimately being fastest right before it cords? Is it possible we flip to a "thin to win" world where you're buying new tires every weekend, shaving them to 1/32" and hoping to not cord them before the checker?

Why the Azenis? There are at least 10 200utqg rated tires in 255 (which we ran for years) and some are a lot cheaper than the 615+. The Kumho V720 is 140!
    Al Fernandez

So ok, taking my competitor hat off and putting on my series official hat...
    Cars that are not cmc legal can’t score cmc points, so classing cars in six would appear logical. What Will does with such a run group would be his call. I have told Shawn Meze (nasa national competition director) about this discussion so hopefully atwe will get some input from nasa on the situation.
    Al Fernandez

Senior Member Rookie 64GunPilot's Avatar
    People talk about the R888 debacle. What went wrong there? 615's vs R888 vs R888r? Prices are about the same on Tirerack. Curious to know why everyone dislikes the R888?
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________
    -Dylan
    3rd Gen CMC Wannabee

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 64GunPilot View Post
    People talk about the R888 debacle. What went wrong there? 615's vs R888 vs R888r? Prices are about the same on Tirerack. Curious to know why everyone dislikes the R888?
    The R888 when we were running it got greasy if you pushed it too hard. It wasn't fun to drive or race. It was said that it needed a more sophisticated driver to extract it's full performance. The AI/CMC group gave a big middle finger to that...

I would guess the compound has been revised since then, especially in the newer R888R???

Richard P.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Fernandez View Post
    A couple of additional variables:

What is the tread depth of the test tire as it sits on the shelf and would they be faster if shaved? If indeed there is a compound/design that eliminates drop off due to heat cycles (or Richard's time at heat) then would the tire actually get faster and faster as the weight is shaved off and ultimately being fastest right before it cords? Is it possible we flip to a "thin to win" world where you're buying new tires every weekend, shaving them to 1/32" and hoping to not cord them before the checker?

Why the Azenis? There are at least 10 200utqg rated tires in 255 (which we ran for years) and some are a lot cheaper than the 615+. The Kumho V720 is 140!
    The azenis have at least some pedigree in other race/track classes. See TT street tire class, and spec Corvette, without shaving (so far).

- Josh
    CMC #50

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Because this is a science experiment at this point, have you guys considered super sizing and running the 615 in TT or PTX/STX and Toyos in CMC in the same weekend to preserve car counts?

On a side note, will 225 tires fit my Z06 wheels? The desired end state here is reduction in costs, sure would suck if I had to run out and find new wheels.
    Last edited by Supercharged111; 02-16-2019 at 02:18 PM.
    RM CMC Director

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Quote Originally Posted by Supercharged111 View Post
    Because this is a science experiment at this point, have you guys considered super sizing and running the 615 in TT or PTX/STX and Toyos in CMC in the same weekend to preserve car counts?

On a side note, will 225 tires fit my Z06 wheels? The desired end state here is reduction in costs, sure would suck if I had to run out and find new wheels.
    Great point on sizing! A 245 is 150 per tire, same od and will fit 17x9.5 without issue, perfect tire!
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Quote Originally Posted by mach1 View Post
    Great point on sizing! A 245 is 150 per tire, same od and will fit 17x9.5 without issue, perfect tire!
    I was looking at 255s, the price difference to the 275 is substantial. I think for the first test we should all be on the same size tire.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...15KP&tab=Sizes

- Josh
    CMC #50

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Supercharged111 View Post

I meant 255, but my question was still answered.
    RM CMC Director

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    The 255’s are a smaller OD and will affect gearing for folks. The load rating is also noticeably higher on the 245’s
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net