Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: More durable/affordable tire option?

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardP View Post
    The next big question is whether the testers are racing or TTing as part of the experiment? Signing up for TT would mean purchasing Azenis and Toyos and signing up for racing and supersizing to TT. Sounds expensive. Doing the test as part of racing has its drawbacks but costs less...

Richard P.
    Could go both ways, supersizing allows them to run both but costs way more (kind of a necessity when you're a guinea pig for a change) which makes it ever more important to capture as much data as possible. It's proof of concept but again more expensive and the data may not be perfect if they end up chasing some POS BMW that won't let them by and heat their tires properly throughout the session. Furthermore (imo) we cannot base jack or shit on an event that happens in the cool of March. I personally believe we need to compare data, cycle for cycle, of the performance of the RR vs the 615 while being run 100% lap for lap to produce any real output for us as racers to even consider defecting from the RR. If I sound like a defender of the RR, well, there are political considerations, but aside from that here in RM the top 3 are not observing the significance of dropoff in times so I personally believe I should pitch this nationally to see where everyone else stands and perhaps all regions should collect lap times vs RR cycles to really get a feel for what's going on and if there is a true need for a change.
    RM CMC Director

I prefer to race, AIX or fun-run. I think we'll get better data in a battle rather than TT.

I'll have at least 8 sessions with data on my Azenis before Cresson, maybe more. If we don't want to race I'll have to think about TTing, and race on year old RRs from Cresson last year! I bet they'll be faster than a fresh set.

- Josh
    CMC #50

Here's the best price I found on 275/40-17 Azenis right now. $690 for 4 before tax, screaming deal IMO.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/311851348770

Mine are ordered, Dan's are ordered. I'm looking forward to Cresson!

- Josh
    CMC #50

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sook View Post
    Mine are ordered, Dan's are ordered.
    Mine are ordered so Josh will have stickers to run with on Sunday morning...

Richard P.

I think it'd be worth some time to develop an actual test protocol. The goal is to validate number of sessions before grip degradation. That to me would best be done by having a pair of highly consistent drivers doing back to back runs on brand new unshaved tires, brand new 2/32s tires, and something like 8 and 12 heat cycle tires that started life unshaved. Obviously the driver should not be allowed to know which set they are driving on.

We used a back to back in one session test like that to validate the grip impact of 225s back in the day when we were trying to figure out how to slow down the S197s.
    Al Fernandez

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Fernandez View Post
    That to me would best be done by having a pair of highly consistent drivers .
    I talked with Jerry and we are willing to help out the group and be the test drivers.

Some of this is funny to me as how involved the test has to be. Funny because in my mind I want to think we did a huge (sarcasm) tire test during the 888 debacle I think with Proctor doing back to back sessions on different tires and then the determination was made. Seems similar to the way I remember some rules being changed based upon one race at ECR with data only comparing two cars. Yet now we have to have a Nascar level tire test?
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

We don't have to...we could just shoot from the hip.
    Al Fernandez

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Fernandez View Post
    I think it'd be worth some time to develop an actual test protocol. The goal is to validate number of sessions before grip degradation. That to me would best be done by having a pair of highly consistent drivers doing back to back runs on brand new unshaved tires, brand new 2/32s tires, and something like 8 and 12 heat cycle tires that started life unshaved. Obviously the driver should not be allowed to know which set they are driving on.

We used a back to back in one session test like that to validate the grip impact of 225s back in the day when we were trying to figure out how to slow down the S197s.
    We can actually make this happen.

As far as I know, Josh is running in a set of sticker RT615K+ at MSRH this weekend and will have those with him at MSRC. I'm bringing a set of sticker RT615K+ to MSRC with me and plan to use them for a portion of the friday test and saturday warm-up and TT sessions.

We could make Josh put on a blindfold and 'change' his tires friday and have him go run a session, then come back and we'll 'change' his tires again and not tell him what we're putting on. IE -- may not have put stickers on etc. Would be close to a blind eval and I think he is consistent enough to make it a reasonably successful test and it won't be his first session ever on those tires.

Also -- in line with my original proposal, I will run them in friday practice (4 sessions-ish), saturday warmup, sunday warmup, and then maybe we'll do an AIX Race 4 Sunday for the street tire cars to evaluate how the tires 'race' to be sensitive to the other potential issues that are out there.
    Daniel Records
    CMC # 34

Personally I would think we'd want to spend a bit of time simply driving on these (and building heat cycles) and optimizing setup before thinking we're ready for a test. I would be surprised if we did not find that they require different alignment, pressures, and spring/damper settings to work well.
    Al Fernandez

Lots of discussion going on, glad to see that. Ideas are all over the map, at least we're having the talk!

The weather this weekend isn't looking great, so I'll at least get to text azenis as rain tires

Got em mounted, I'm wondering if they'll rub more than the RRs.

20190227_111347.jpg

- Josh
    Last edited by Sook; 02-28-2019 at 01:03 AM.
    CMC #50