Thread: More durable/affordable tire option?

Threaded View

Senior Member Rookie 64GunPilot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post
    This is the reason I bring this tire issue up every year (Daniel beat me to it this year). I hate to lose great racers like Rob due to tire cost. I know others that stopped racing because of tire issues. Some have sold their cars. I always thought of CMC as the class that would let a working man road race. If you have to purchase a new set of tires for every event (and you do if you want to be as fast as possible for every qual and every race) we will lose racers and keep others from joining us in the first place. Look at The Drivers Edge. They sell out every event. If we can make racing in CMC cost near what it cost to run the Drivers Edge our numbers will go up. I think if we can pull off getting a tire that we can run three race weekends (two sets for a regular season) that cost $300.00 less then the RR we could build up to twenty car fields in a few years. I could be wrong but as you can read here tire cost does run people off from CMC road racing.

JJ
    I am just a prospect (sorta like Sons of Anarchy lol). I have loosely followed CMC for several years while I been overseas. I can tell you the tire costs certainly made it hard for me to go the CMC route. I thought hard about spec miata simply because the tires and other consumables probably cost half what it does in CMC. I knew I wanted to road race, and I knew I loved American Thunder V8s, but I'd probably be happy in spec miata too and the costs are less.

As I got more serious and closer to coming back stateside I was still on the fence for about a year trying to decide which way to go. The only reason I pulled the trigger on an built CMC car is because 1. I got a hella good deal on hopefully a great car AND 2. The car came with 5 complete sets of 16" RA1 tires for me to train on. At the current moment, I need some 17" wheel solutions, and I cannot afford a set of RRs even if I spread two sets over 4 events I can't afford that. But I pulled the trigger anyways because in a year from now I hope to be in a little better financial situation to afford to upgrade to 17's and run RRs. But...........

But damn, Im a newbie here, and hearing all this about how the RRs fall off so drastically before they are worn out, thats bullshit. That'll run me in the other direction in a heartbeat!! Years ago it was just the RA1 (which is just as expensive now)......but what happened? How did we end up here with RRs? Did the whole CMC community cast their votes for RRs? Supply problems? Or was NASA and Toyo suck starting this blow torch pushing some agenda?

The fact that a revolt is in the air gives me some peace that maybe by the time I have my competition license next year, as a class, we will have this resolved.
    Last edited by 64GunPilot; 02-19-2019 at 09:37 PM.