Quote Originally Posted by BryanL View Post
Certainly trades emissions for something people see to something they don't see as that's the quote from a buddy who has one-popular in my neighborhood. Now get some solar panels to charge it all the time instead of using coal/gas power plant to make the electricity would help. Another thing I have heard is the electrical grid in neighborhoods isn't built for everyone having more 220 with cars plugged in at night but I have no idea if that's valid.
My recollection of the story is that the material processing required for the batteries is some unbelievable number of miles of ocean going transport. Here's an opinion: https://www.industryweek.com/technol...massive-carbon

Sun doesn't shine at night... but, the wind may blow. But the wind may be sketchy and the grid still needs dispatchability. Now, some believe that grid level storage via battery may solve that. PG&E (the bankrupt utility due to CA fires) did a study they call the EPIC project and in the final report around page 66 said, "and this will cost ratepayers billions of dollars." Yeah, B.

Car/battery charging is a question of use and timing. You'll likely charge overnight where there may be wind and with real time of use rates, it not be too expensive. One of the things I think proponents miss is that two "markets" can't use the car's battery in the afternoon - either it's driving or it's connected to the grid to be a resource. But what happens when you want to go to Sweetie Pie's for dinner?

If you have any other electricity market/regulatory questions ask away... I know a guy.