Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: MSRC Roll Call

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Fernandez View Post
    LS swapped #5 will be there!!
    Way Cool!

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Blog Entries
    Looks like we have 11 committed to running based on Tyler's attendance page (not sure if everyone is actually signed up yet -- I'm not!) and it would be ashame if the biggest CMC field in 2019 was splintered into some AIX and some CMC.

I'd propose we handle the tire deal in the following way:

Everyone runs CMC legal tire for at least R1 and R3 for toyo contingency, and R2 to keep it simple. R4 we re-class the Falkens in AIX and evaluate the 'raceability' of the tires. This has multiple benefits -- namely the Falken cars don't toss all their drops in one weekend, the contingency is as big as it can be for all of us, and we still get to test the 'new' tires.

I'd also propose a discussion amongst the CMC racers on Saturday night about the future of the class and the Texas racers and where we want to go following this w.r.t. tires. We especially need input around how we go forward both from a national level and a Texas region with a tire change should the group elect to pursue it.

8-)
    Daniel Records
    CMC # 34

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Just ordered RR's for spec Miata $641 shipped, CMC 275's are $949 shipped from this place with the 15% Toyo coupon.

https://simpletire.com/catalog?width...ory=AUTOMOBILE

I'm really excited to see what happens on the 615k's! Wish I was playing with yall, will be fun to watch the racing
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

I think that's a really good suggestion Dan.
    Al Fernandez

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by drecords View Post
    I'd propose we handle the tire deal in the following way:

Everyone runs CMC legal tire for at least R1 and R3 for toyo contingency, and R2 to keep it simple. R4 we re-class the Falkens in AIX and evaluate the 'raceability' of the tires. This has multiple benefits -- namely the Falken cars don't toss all their drops in one weekend, the contingency is as big as it can be for all of us, and we still get to test the 'new' tires.

We need to be clear what the test structured this way will actually test. A single race on Sunday to determine the "raceability" of the tires is great and necessary. Passing that test is important and if they suck at that then more testing isn't required. If they are good to race on, then what? If that's all we are looking to test then there isn't any reason to switch tires. The current tires rock at that, even in their second weekend.

The critical test for any replacement tire is whether the tire degrades with heat cycles. It's my opinion that we would need to prove a tire with two weekends on it is still competitive against a sticker tire in order to move forward. That is a way harder thing to test than whether or not the tire can handle being raced. There are just so many variables that can't really be controlled. We need to control all the variables that we can and then increase the sample size to minimize the effect on our data by the variables that we can't control. At a minimum, we need to test a worn out tire against a new tire. For reasonable testing, we also need a control. Because lap times can vary so much between sessions (and obviously between drivers), we need the same drivers who do the old/new test to also do sessions on equal test tires. To minimize the effect of variables we can’t control, we would be looking for the relative competitiveness between the driver’s when the only variable we changed intentionally is the tires.

In the single Sunday race, if Josh is on old tires and the other testers are on new tires, what does that tell us? If Josh is slower is that because the tires have degraded or that the tires don’t work well with Josh’s suspension setup. If Josh is equal or faster, does that mean that the used tires are still good or is it just that Josh has learned how to race the new tire more quickly than the rest? Sample size is important and with the single race we effectively have a sample size of ½. That’s not enough data to make a decision as big as this. It would be great to have several driver’s switching between old and new over several back to back sessions to get a real picture of the tire’s capability. Maybe we would get more participation later in the season when there are more racers who have blown their season because of mechanical woes or because they came under on the scales by three pounds?

Richard P.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardP View Post
    Maybe we would get more participation later in the season when there are more racers who have blown their season because of mechanical woes or because they came under on the scales by three pounds?

Richard P.
    It's been almost a year - still too soon.
    CMC #50

I'm probably driving up on Friday AM. Because of all the uncertainty with the test, Tyler being out, and Heather/Daniel being on the fence about it I think it's safe to say that we won't be doing a full weekend test. I'm open to racing on Azenis at some point over the weekend. Postponing a big test until later in the season might be wise and will stop us from collecting erroneous data. Hallett & Nationals I'll be on RRs for sure.

For Cresson I'm bringing RRs, RAs, and the set of Azenis - no idea how I'm going to fit them all in my truck though, hah.

I will be running the Azenis at Houston this weekend, so I'll at least have some reports and lap times on a track that I already have tons of RR data on. I'm looking forward to trying something new. The car has had a lot of changes since Houston so fingers crossed it runs well!

- Josh
    CMC #50

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Fernandez View Post
    LS swapped #5 will be there!!
    Sweet!!!
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Rob Liebbe's Avatar
    I was just on the Toyo website. They make a performance 200 treadwear rated tire. Looking at one of their tires might be a possible compromise between NASA, Toyo and CMC.
    Rob Liebbe - Texas Region
    Camaro, Mustang, doesn't matter to me, I'll race it.

Has anyone though about a parking plan yet? Looks like the 1.3 will be open for parking as well.

$175 for Test & Tune when I won't be there until the afternoon is a bit too rich for me.

- Josh
    CMC #50