Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another New guy with a 3rd Gen

Member Rookie

Another New guy with a 3rd Gen

Wanted to post a quick intro to the group. Name is Steve Gernon and I live in Austin. I recently purchased a 3rd Gen Camaro and plan to participate in CMC once I get the car sorted and am authorized for a comp license. I've been running some HPDE's over the past few years and competed in a few WRL races but haven't been on track consistently. I wanted to jump in a bit deeper and get some real and more consistent seat time and learn from some real racers. Planned was to participate in the MSRH event but unfortunately the car I bought had a lot more issues than I first anticipated. I've been rebuilding the car and hope to have it complete for MSRC.

The car is very easy to spot since it's sublime green. If I make it out to MSRC please feel free to come say hello. I'm looking forward to meeting the group and having some fun.

Bear with me if I start posting some stupid question. I've been reading all the rules and trying to learn as best I can but I'm still one of the FNG's

IMG_0479.jpg

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Glad you finally made it over here. Hope you make it out to Cresson!

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    Glad to have you here Steve!!
    Please ask any question you can think of. Between the dozens of us who have been doing this the last few years - last 20 years, we have combined to try pretty much any part, setup scenario you can think of. It is best to learn from our experience (mistakes) to help save $$ and go in the right direction.

Feel free to look for the AI/CMC group at Cresson to park with us if you wish. We always have a nice space blocked off for the evening socializing!!
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

Welcome Steve!

- Josh
    CMC #50

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerno View Post
    Wanted to post a quick intro to the group. Name is Steve Gernon and I live in Austin. I recently purchased a 3rd Gen Camaro and plan to participate in CMC once I get the car sorted and am authorized for a comp license. I've been running some HPDE's over the past few years and competed in a few WRL races but haven't been on track consistently. I wanted to jump in a bit deeper and get some real and more consistent seat time and learn from some real racers. Planned was to participate in the MSRH event but unfortunately the car I bought had a lot more issues than I first anticipated. I've been rebuilding the car and hope to have it complete for MSRC.

The car is very easy to spot since it's sublime green. If I make it out to MSRC please feel free to come say hello. I'm looking forward to meeting the group and having some fun.

Bear with me if I start posting some stupid question. I've been reading all the rules and trying to learn as best I can but I'm still one of the FNG's

IMG_0479.jpg
    Welcome Steve! Great looking car, looking forward to meeting you at Cresson!

BTW...it's customary for the new guy to bring a keg of beer to share...j/k.
    Last edited by drecords; 02-13-2019 at 10:31 PM.
    Daniel Records
    CMC # 34

Senior Member Rookie
    Welcome! Just another fng here too. Don't listen to Daniel you don't have to bring a keg just a cooler full of beer.

Member Rookie
    Thanks for the warm welcome. I'll certainly look for the group at Cresson and will bring extra beers.... ya'll like Schlitz, right???

Car may look great on the surface but certainly needed some work on the innards when I got it. I bought what was supposed to be a fully CMC legal ready to run competitive car with fresh engine and wiring harness, just needed new tires. Engine was shot (cracked crank, cracked main cap, loose cylinder bore, blown head gasket, cross threaded spark plugs, broken valve springs, Terrible head machining, pitted rust on valves, etc), wiring a rats nest without even functional swtiches for fuel pump or ignition and almost burned thru battery cables, cage welding was interesting to the least and covered in ~1" of bondo at the floor plates.. Not sure how the previous owner passed tech on the east coast.. Good news is I'm working to make thing right on the car so I can learn and be safe.

Some pics of the fun.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member Rookie
    Cage plates before

IMG_1161.jpg
    IMG_1162.jpg
    IMG_1165.jpg
    IMG_1161.jpg
    IMG_1168.jpg

And after... hopefully this is better and passes tech

IMG_1210.jpg

Member Rookie
    I do have 2 specific cage questions hopefully ya'll can help with. Let me know if I should move this question to the tech section....

1. Door Bars. I know the rules state 2 driver side bars that are at a height to protect the driver are needed. My car currently has 2 NASCAR style bars which extend up to the window opening of the door. While this seems safe from an impact perspective, it's really hard to get in and out of the car without even having gear on. I'm nervous to try with helmet, hans, etc... I really want to remove the upper bar for this reason. Removing the bar would leave the 2nd bar at the top bar which is ~24" from the ground at ride height, is this acceptable??

IMG_1202.jpg

2 Main Hoop/ Halo intersection. This car has what I believe is called a NASCAR plate design attaching the halo to the main hoop. I have worked with Will and confirmed the setup will be permitted to run in NASA per the CCR's because it is considered a mounting plate in which the tube terminates on. The issue is within CMC the car technically has too many mounting plates on the cage to be "legal" even though there is no real completive advantage. Would anyone within the community have issues with my car running in the CMC class as it is?? I'd love to fix the cage but basically it would have to be fully rebuilt and at this point I honest can't afford to do it, I've already spent way more than expected to get the car in condition to be on track

IMG_1075.jpg
    IMG_1076.jpg
    IMG_1077.jpg
    IMG_1078.jpg

Senior Member Rookie 64GunPilot's Avatar
    Im a new 3rd Gen FNG as well. Not licensed, and have very little track time. So I don't feel qualified to "welcome" you as Im still at the bottom. And I am certainly not qualified to answer your questions. But, you arent too far from where I will be (Fort Hood area). Will be nice to have a fellow 3rd gen CMC near me. Nice looking car.