Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Needing Seat Time

Senior Member Rookie 64GunPilot's Avatar

Needing Seat Time

I can't make Cresson (still in South Korea until end of March), and ECR is now cancelled. Im now searching for options for some seat time with the new car.

I have training in Alabama April 10 - May 25th so COTA is out of the question. That makes my first track event with NASA at Hallett for HPDE. I've thought about dragging the car with me and trying to make Roebling Road in Georgia (April 5-7), and CMP in South Carolina (May 4-5). These are in the Southeast Region, Mid South Region has Memphis Int Raceway April 13-14, and Florida has Seabring Int Raceway April 19-20. Maybe I can make three of these four....doubt I can make all four but we'll see.

Any other thoughts? Is jumping Regions for HPDE ok? I'd rather not spend the gas money of dragging the car all over the bible belt and back, but I'd do it to get the seat time.
    Last edited by 64GunPilot; 02-17-2019 at 05:12 AM.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    Not all of your driving experience needs to be with NASA. There are several other groups that can provide instruction and track time to get you going. In order to get your license with NASA you have to prove a level competency and safety. Since it's been found that some people lie, are wrong, or are just flat delusional about their driving abilities, some of your events need to be with NASA, especially as you get closer to getting your licence, so they can see your skills first hand.

Josh, Dan, and I instruct with The Driver's Edge. http://www.thedriversedge.net They do an excellent job of teaching with a very structured program and would be a great place to start.

Some other groups also have good teaching available. Some of the smaller groups are just focused on getting people track time and offer very little to no instruction capability. Find some events that you can make and start getting some track time.

Richard P.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardP View Post
    Not all of your driving experience needs to be with NASA. There are several other groups that can provide instruction and track time to get you going. In order to get your license with NASA you have to prove a level competency and safety. Since it's been found that some people lie, are wrong, or are just flat delusional about their driving abilities, some of your events need to be with NASA, especially as you get closer to getting your licence, so they can see your skills first hand.

Josh, Dan, and I instruct with The Driver's Edge. http://www.thedriversedge.net They do an excellent job of teaching with a very structured program and would be a great place to start.

Some other groups also have good teaching available. Some of the smaller groups are just focused on getting people track time and offer very little to no instruction capability. Find some events that you can make and start getting some track time.

Richard P.
    Thanks for the link. Definitely will get involved with Drivers Edge. Are there any other DE organizations around? I think I will probably still go to Roebling Road and CMP as I have family near those locations. But I may enroll in more DE events if I can find them throughout this summer timeframe. Hallett only has HPDE 3/4. I dont know if I'll have climbed the ladder that high by that point. I don't know how good I am, or how much talent I have. We'll see I guess. Hoping I can climb up to make Hallett.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Quote Originally Posted by 64GunPilot View Post
    Thanks for the link. Definitely will get involved with Drivers Edge. Are there any other DE organizations around? I think I will probably still go to Roebling Road and CMP as I have family near those locations. But I may enroll in more DE events if I can find them throughout this summer timeframe. Hallett only has HPDE 3/4. I dont know if I'll have climbed the ladder that high by that point. I don't know how good I am, or how much talent I have. We'll see I guess. Hoping I can climb up to make Hallett.
    Check out Chin driving events and Apex Driving Academy at Cresson. Both very good organizations.
    Ah, fugg it.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 64GunPilot View Post

Do what you can do to make it into HPDE 3/4 at Hallett. You do not want to miss Hallett. For most of us this is the best track and the best weekend of the year.

JJ

Senior Member Rookie
    Drivers edge is probably the best for beginners. The only problem with them is they fill up so fast for green and blue. Their first two levels for them. Edge Addicts is another one that does quite a few at COTA. Porsche club, PCA and SCCA both hold de events.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post
    Do what you can do to make it into HPDE 3/4 at Hallett. You do not want to miss Hallett. For most of us this is the best track and the best weekend of the year.
    JJ
    I’m signed up and paid for 3 HPDE events with NASA. April 5-6 Roebling Road, April 13-14 Memphis, and May 4-5 Carolina CMP. I will probably try and sign up for Drivers Edge May 31-1 when it’s registration opens.

I am not sure how quickly I am expected or should expect of myself to progress, but I am ambitiously and probably naively hoping to jump up one ladder rung each event which would put me in HPDE 3/4 at Hallett. There is literally nothing more I can sign up for.

Praying this new car which I have never even unstrapped from the trailer holds up. A few maint items to take care of I know are: 1. Drain the fuel tank 2. Install a seat and seat belts for the instructor. 3. Full general inspection (if anyone has a checklist of their preflight checklist on their 3rd Gen I’m all ears)
    Last edited by 64GunPilot; 02-22-2019 at 07:22 PM.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________
    -Dylan
    3rd Gen CMC Wannabee

Senior Member Rookie
    NASA is pretty quick to promote. You should not have an issue making Hallett.

Everyone is of course different, but the promotion rate you're looking at is not unheard of. The instructors wont (shouldn't) be looking for outright speed, rather knowledge of and use of the full racing line, control, smoothness, and, perhaps most importantly, situational awareness. The speed will come if all of those are in place.
    Al Fernandez

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    Like what Al said, the most important thing is safety, corner station /flag awareness, and awareness for cars that are overtaking you and you are overtaking. The biggest learning is the big difference driving the racing line by yourself vs in traffic with other HPDE cars. Safety and awareness is key!!
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region