Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Needing Seat Time

Senior Member Rookie 64GunPilot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelmosty View Post
    Like what Al said, the most important thing is safety, corner station /flag awareness, and awareness for cars that are overtaking you and you are overtaking. The biggest learning is the big difference driving the racing line by yourself vs in traffic with other HPDE cars. Safety and awareness is key!!
    Are the cars in 3/4 a 50/50 mix of daily driver cars and purpose built race cars? I imagine the disparity of cars and driving abilities is pretty big in 3 but maybe a little tighter in 4??

As in the air, situational awareness is not a God gifted attribute, it’ll take me a little time to get the hang of it all. But SA is #1 in my line of work whether it be busy air traffic or combat. Last thing I want to be is a danger to others. The mentors (you guys) sigh of disappointment or worse “WTF” is always the last thing a rookie wants to hear.
    Last edited by 64GunPilot; 02-24-2019 at 12:21 AM.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________
    -Dylan
    3rd Gen CMC Wannabee

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 64GunPilot View Post
    Are the cars in 3/4 a 50/50 mix of daily driver cars and purpose built race cars? I imagine the disparity of cars and driving abilities is pretty big in 3 but maybe a little tighter in 4??

As in the air, situational awareness is not a God gifted attribute, it’ll take me a little time to get the hang of it all. But SA is #1 in my line of work whether it be busy air traffic or combat. Last thing I want to be is a danger to others. The mentors (you guys) sigh of disappointment or worse “WTF” is always the last thing a rookie wants to hear.
    Here in the RM region group 3 is all street cars, if there is a race car there it's an exception and likely in purgatory awaiting promotion to W2W or TT, but again here most of the TT cars are just street cars. I'll second what's already been said: if you're ready, you're ready and they'll see that and promote you especially if you tell them your path. Not saying they'll rush you, but they will definitely tell you what they need to see to get you headed where you want to be. It's not unusual for a rookie to show up off pace, but once you're in you can start getting a feel for how W2W flows vs HPDE or a track day. Just because you're in a competitive environment does not mean the learning stops or the fun, there were some odd messages being conveyed back when I was in HPDE that I did not agree with.
    RM CMC Director

Senior Member Rookie
    I feel I need to explain my last reply a little. I should have explained a little more. Sorry I was in a hurry.

NASA is quick to promote if your safe, but that does not mean the fastest. As others have said track awareness is paramount, speed will come once you have that.

All the events I have been to with the TX region 1/2 runs together and 3/4 runs together. So there is a mix of race cars and street cars in 3/4. There is usually several street cars that are very quick. There is a disparity in speed in both run groups but it is part of the learning process. The best part is you get to do all this in a safe environment.

Senior Member Rookie 64GunPilot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by centerville View Post
    I feel I need to explain my last reply a little. I should have explained a little more. Sorry I was in a hurry.

NASA is quick to promote if your safe, but that does not mean the fastest. As others have said track awareness is paramount, speed will come once you have that.

All the events I have been to with the TX region 1/2 runs together and 3/4 runs together. So there is a mix of race cars and street cars in 3/4. There is usually several street cars that are very quick. There is a disparity in speed in both run groups but it is part of the learning process. The best part is you get to do all this in a safe environment.

Understood. I know what you meant. Im thirsty for knowledge like the movie Short Circuit "Input NEED Input"! Probably asking many questions that I'll easily find the answers to on track day. And currently reading "Drive to Win" and I think that book generates more questions.....but anyways....I appreciate everyone's input.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________
    -Dylan
    3rd Gen CMC Wannabee