Thread: HPDE CCR Questions

Senior Member Rookie 64GunPilot's Avatar

HPDE CCR Questions

CCR 3.4 Eligibility Requirements: "Must be deemed physically fit by their physician to participate in a high stress and physically demanding
    sport such as auto racing."
    Do I need to provide the certificate same as if applying for provisional license? I have annual flight physicals??

Sign all required waivers, and in particular the “gate waiver” before entering the facility
    I don't see any "gate waivers" on the NASA Forms link. What is this?

4.5 HPDE Passenger Privileges
    Once I have climbed into HPDE 2, my wife wants to get involved and ride along (she wants to race too eventually). Do passengers have to have their own memberships, and are there any extra fees for them to ride along?

11.2 HPDE Preparation Instructions:

If you choose to tech your car at the track, you must:
     A - Pay the appropriate late tech fee, if any, and
     B - Have your car ready for tech at the appropriate time.
    How much is this late tech fee? Can I simply take the car to pretty much any Texas Safety Inspection Station and have them fill this form out?

Just want to have my "T's" crossed and "I's" dotted before arriving for the first time. Hate getting caught with pants down.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________
    -Dylan
    3rd Gen CMC Wannabee

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I can answer the first one for you. I am also a pilot and get flight physicals but they do not count as far as NASA is concerned. And when you get old like me you have to get one every other year.

JJ

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Do you need a physical for HPDE? You will need to take the racing physical paperwork with you for your other physical or if you need it before you will have to take it to a doctor. It's the only reason I have been to the doctor when I was 39 and 44.

If there is a gate waiver you will sign that as you are driving into the track and likely be given a wrist band to wear for the weekend. Not something you get ahead of time.

I think some levels allow ride alongs but I'm guessing it's higher than 2. Just ask your instructors at your first event.

Look at the Tech Form-it's much more detailed than a safety inspection. There are race shops that you can take your car ahead of time and pay to do the check. It's good insurance to be honest. I think the late tech fee is to try and keep the line short and have people do it before they get to the track to alleviate long waits. Suffice to say it's more involved than what I normally saw when I would take a street car to a dragstrip.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Senior Member Rookie
    HPDE no physical.

You can take a passenger in hpde 3 with approval from chief instructor, Scott Adams.

I would suggest you get the car teched before you get to the track. Especially for the first time. Fee for inspection is dependent on how busy they are. Some shops here in DFW will do the inspection for free, not sure about your area.

Senior Member Rookie 64GunPilot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by centerville View Post
    HPDE no physical.

You can take a passenger in hpde 3 with approval from chief instructor, Scott Adams.

I would suggest you get the car teched before you get to the track. Especially for the first time. Fee for inspection is dependent on how busy they are. Some shops here in DFW will do the inspection for free, not sure about your area.
    Thanks. The CCR does not specify which HPDE levels can have passengers....it just says:

2. Passengers may be allowed in all HPDE groups, unless otherwise specified.
    3. Group 1 (“School” or Beginner) participants must get specific permission from their Instructor before a
    passenger may be allowed in the vehicle.
    I suppose different regions can make stricter rules if in the interest of safety.....as in "unless otherwise specified"

I will try and get the car inspected with the HPDE Tech Form beforehand. I am realizing now just how much work I really have to do on the car. Car has been in storage for over a year and I have 2 days to get it ready (Passenger Seat, Seatbelts, general inspection, Tech Inspection, then find some country FM backroad somewhere and give it a good run I guess to see how it behaves.....) Ordering parts now.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________
    -Dylan
    3rd Gen CMC Wannabee

Senior Member Rookie
    Each region does things just a little different. I tried to find where I read that about passengers but that has been two years now.

Good luck and have fun.