Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shopping for Seatbelts & Safety Items

Senior Member Rookie 64GunPilot's Avatar

Shopping for Seatbelts & Safety Items

Already have some kirkey race seats, but need to bolt them in. The seatbelts in my car are now expired (shouldnt matter for HPDE but need some for passenger/instructor). Shopping for seatbelts right now. What is the consensus on 5 point, 6 point, 7 point????...(have only ever used 5 points in the past). Once I am competition ready, I'll swap the new safety belts from the passenger side to the driver side to pass tech. Anyways. Any suggestions? Brands? About to start buying a few safety items (helmet, belts, rollbar padding for passenger).

Any suggestions you guys have for all the personal safety items: seatbelts, racesuit, helmet, gloves, shoes, combos, ect and your sources you like to buy from are all appreciated.
    Last edited by 64GunPilot; 03-01-2019 at 04:48 AM.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________
    -Dylan
    3rd Gen CMC Wannabee

Only real advice I have in this space:
    1) ensure you get FIA belts. They don't cost any more but validity period is substantially longer
    2) look for belts where the lock cannot be flipped upside down (or better said all the belts cannot be connected if the lock is upside down) and thus the lever ends up against your stomach instead of facing outwards. There have been cases of people doing this while in a rush and then subsequently having trouble releasing.
    Al Fernandez

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Spend money on a good suit. The thick cheap horse blankets are hard to live with in Texas in summer (from late May to late October). I have had good luck getting safety stuff from Winding Road Racing. They have a shop in Austin. They give a discount to NASA drivers. I just purchased a Sparco Victory RS-7. Very lightweight and only $899.00 regular price.

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Al Fernandez View Post
    Only real advice I have in this space:
    1) ensure you get FIA belts. They don't cost any more but validity period is substantially longer
    2) look for belts where the lock cannot be flipped upside down (or better said all the belts cannot be connected if the lock is upside down) and thus the lever ends up against your stomach instead of facing outwards. There have been cases of people doing this while in a rush and then subsequently having trouble releasing.
    Thanks. Have now done days worth of research (FIA vs SFI). There are some good deals on "new but open box" SFI/FIA dual certified belts on eBay. They are new but their clocks are ticking. Found this set for $150 + $10shipping. FIA cert good til 2022. Might pull the trigger on these. Please tell me your objections....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RACEQUIP-NE...4/192842073999
    Last edited by 64GunPilot; 03-03-2019 at 11:10 AM.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________
    -Dylan
    3rd Gen CMC Wannabee

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post
    Spend money on a good suit. The thick cheap horse blankets are hard to live with in Texas in summer (from late May to late October). I have had good luck getting safety stuff from Winding Road Racing. They have a shop in Austin. They give a discount to NASA drivers. I just purchased a Sparco Victory RS-7. Very lightweight and only $899.00 regular price.

Jerry
    Thanks. I wish I could afford that now. A good suit is gonna have to wait until just prior to applying/evaluation for a comp license just due to budget and money timing. However, for HPDE, I do think I may get an FHR device for safety and plus learn how to drive with one on.

Starting to get a little nervous. Been watching a bunch of HPDE accidents on youtube. I don't want to be one of those guys. It was humbling to watch those accidents.
    -Dylan
    3rd Gen CMC Wannabee

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    I don't know how people are wrecking in HPDE, it just doesn't happen here in RM. That said, there isn't much to hit here when you do go off, but still. Just pay attention to your driving and don't freak out when you do go off. My goal is to not get passed when my car goes in the dirt, spinning out is not an option.
    RM CMC Director

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 64GunPilot View Post
    Thanks. I wish I could afford that now. A good suit is gonna have to wait until just prior to applying/evaluation for a comp license just due to budget and money timing. However, for HPDE, I do think I may get an FHR device for safety and plus learn how to drive with one on.

Starting to get a little nervous. Been watching a bunch of HPDE accidents on youtube. I don't want to be one of those guys. It was humbling to watch those accidents.
    Usually the HPDE wrecks I've seen video of is because they are super late correcting a slide and end up tank slapping. Also, if it's well beyond recovery put both feet in and enjoy the ride... continuing to try and save it uses up lots of real estate.
    Daniel Records
    CMC # 34

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    From a belt prospective, I think a bunch in the group really like the Schroth Clubman belt.
    https://www.enjukuracing.com/product...SABEgKKNfD_BwE
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Quote Originally Posted by marshall_mosty View Post
    From a belt prospective, I think a bunch in the group really like the Schroth Clubman belt.
    https://www.enjukuracing.com/product...SABEgKKNfD_BwE
    Are most folks running 3" shoulder belts with their HANS/FHR?
    -Dylan
    3rd Gen CMC Wannabee

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 64GunPilot View Post
    Are most folks running 3" shoulder belts with their HANS/FHR?
    I just switched to Safecraft belts with 2" shoulders and like it much better with the Hans. Highly recommend
    Daniel Records
    CMC # 34