Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Falken Azenis Tire Data - MSR-Houston March 2019 CCW

Falken Azenis Tire Data - MSR-Houston March 2019 CCW

If you've been keeping up with the other two threads about tires, you're probably aware that I was planning on running a set of Falken Azenis 615+ 275/40-17s mounted on MB Weapon wheels this past weekend at MSR-Houston. The event was a Driver's Edge HPDE where I was instructing. There was some car trouble (non-functional brake pads, and engine mount bolts that wouldn't stay in), and some fog and rain. I was able to get 7-8 hot sessions in over the weekend, 5 on a dry track, 2-3 on a wet/damp track.

Coincidentally, one of the other instructors was also on a sticker set of the same tire in 255 aspect ratio in his CMC mustang (mod motor 2004) build and we had nearly identical performance all weekend - including several tandem drifting laps. I did my absolute best to destroy the tires.

I did not encounter any durability issues. The tires did not get greasy, or chunck starting at full tread. I've included a few attachments showing the worst of the 4 tires compared to a brand new tire for visual comparison. There was also very little rubber wear. They felt great. I think the side wall is slightly softer than on RR. The tire generates more noise than an RR. They take a set quickly and predictably, and brake straight. I did not make any setup changes to the car in support of these tires, they were run at 35psi hot all around.

As far as performance goes, the tires were immediately in the 1:49s running CCW at MSR-Houston. By the end of the weekend (cold front blowing through) 1:48s were common and I hit several 1:47.5s. Comparing my data to my data, my fastest lap in September on an open track was 1:50.9 on old RRs. Our race results from 2018 (was a mixed condition weekend, I believe R3 & R4 were dry) was a best lap of 1:47.6. The track record is a 1:45.8 from 2010!

MSR Houston CCW
    615+ open track while playing with other racers - 1:47.5s (multiple)
    My best used RR time: 1:50.9
    2018 Race best time - 1:47.6
    Track Record - MSRH (2.38mi) CCW CMC 1:45.841 Jeremiah Kellam 01/31/10

The real test will be running these tires for 3 weekends or more and observing the their behavior, durability, and lap time degradation.

- Josh

20190303_180339.jpg

20190303_180346.jpg

20190303_180408.jpg

20190303_180431.jpg

http://www.aicmctexas.com/showthread...ll=1#post77661
    http://timingscoring.drivenasa.com/N...20Race%203.pdf
    http://timingscoring.drivenasa.com/N...20Race%204.pdf
    CMC #50

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sook View Post
    The real test will be running these tires for 3 weekends or more and observing the their behavior, durability, and lap time degradation.
    Although the track was wet Sunday morning, there was no standing water and no need for tires with any tread. I left my very used Toyos on my car so my set of Azenis is still unused and available for direct comparison at some point...

Richard P.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Great info.

JJ

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Wow, good stuff Josh, thank you!
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Senior Member Rookie
    Hardly any wear is right. Great job. Thanks Josh!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    That seems extremely encouraging to me. I'm a little surprised the lap times were that quick, too. Maybe I'll run these at Hallett and see how they handle the heat.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    If we can't get new RR's we all may be on them.

Jerry

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post
    If we can't get new RR's we all may be on them.

Jerry
    I'm ready with both options. LOL
    Daniel Records
    CMC # 34

I'm pretty surprised, I was expecting a more dramatic difference.
    Al Fernandez

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    After a session last night where I mounted/dismounted 25 race tires (limited because Josh couldn't fit more in his truck) team Redshift has come up with their testing plan for the race this weekend at Cresson. Dan is going to do Saturday practice on the test tires to get a feel for them and set tire pressures. Josh will do Saturday practice on his heat cycled tires to add another heat cycle and Sunday practice on my sticker tires to set tire pressures. Both qualifying sessions and R1 and R3 will be on Toyos in CMC. R2 and R4 will be on the test tires in AIX. R2 will have Josh on his heat cycled test tires. R4 will have Josh on my sticker test tires. Records (or anyone else) is welcome to join for R2 or R4 or both. The goal is not just lap times between old and new ties but to determine the relative performance between Josh and Dan.

As a small note to the test, Josh doesn't have enough CMC legal wheels to bring RR's, RA1's and two sets of test tires. All of the test tires for Josh's car will be on my AI wheels which are a couple of pounds light for CMC.

This plan is dependent on the weather playing nice. There is a front that will blow through at some point and get the place wet. Current timing on the front is Saturday morning? It's hard to tell what other rain might show up but at a minimum, it will be cooler Sunday afternoon. If it rains hard enough in any of the four races to need rain tires, all three Red Shift drivers will be in CMC on RA1s.

Richard P.