Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MSRC/CMC Media

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeP99Z View Post
    Since AIX will be so popular, all the AI guys are going to participate with 700+hp motors and 315 Hoosier R7s. Hope that's ok...
    That would be an interesting change. Last year not a single person signed up for AIX. All it would have taken to win the championship was to take a single green flag at some point during the season. But it didn't happen...

Richard P.

Senior Member Grass-Passer Suck fumes's Avatar
    So if the push is for a less grippy tire for expense and wear and tear problems to grow the class.....There is going to come a point where the year model range for cars is going to have to expand. I mean the 2005 mustang is already 14yrs old! Younger new comers looking in are going to have a hell of a time finding a 20-30 yr old camaro or mustang that’s in decent enough shape to even build. Not to mention a 30 yr old car is not a very attractive incentive to want to build for a guy who wasn’t even born when those cars were around. I know that’s kind of off topic but if the reason to change tires is because cars are breaking then maybe there should be a much bigger rule change in the future if you want more growth. The point is to bring new people in not just to bring the older people back. Having both would be ideal but can’t please everyone.
    Last edited by Suck fumes; 03-13-2019 at 10:38 AM.
    “A man with no enemies is a man with no character.”
    ― Paul Newman

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Suck fumes View Post
    So if the push is for a less grippy tire for expense and wear and tear problems to grow the class.....There is going to come a point where the year model range for cars is going to have to expand. I mean the 2005 mustang is already 14yrs old! Younger new comers looking in are going to have a hell of a time finding a 20-30 yr old camaro or mustang that’s in decent enough shape to even build. Not to mention a 30 yr old car is not a very attractive incentive to want to build for a guy who wasn’t even born when those cars were around. I know that’s kind of off topic but if the reason to change tires is because cars are breaking then maybe there should be a much bigger rule change in the future if you want more growth. The point is to bring new people in not just to bring the older people back. Having both would be ideal but can’t please everyone.

For me Aaron the question is if we had a tire that does not fall off with heat cycles (if that is even possible) could we grow the class? If you are not at the pointy end of the field but you want to be as fast as possible every time on track you are forced to purchase a new set of tires every race weekend. If you are not getting any (or very little) Toyo money it may make you stop racing or never start. I know when I started 10 years ago not a single CMC racer was buying tires for every race. In fact for some reason they believed the tires (RA-1's) were their fastest just prior to cording. I was shocked how much more road racing (even at this low level) cost me than I thought it would. Then the 888 debacle then the RR comes along and several of the fastest guys were showing up with stickers for every event. Most of us (if not all of us) can afford to buy a new set for every event. The question is how much could we grow the class if we could cut the cost of tires? I do not know that answer. Maybe it would make no difference. The fast guys will still be the fast guys and us mid pack slackers will still be where we always are just maybe at half the tire cost.

JJ

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Michael-To borrow from another post your tire test didn't prove anything other than 10-15 HC RR's being slower (lol). Good info. But I would add to that your ability to tune a car around a tire that is falling off is impressive. I believe you would have a 23 if you had been on stickers. And again you are having handling issues on heat cycles that would be for your second event - a full weekend of racing is 8 sessions and you were on your 15th and won't see the track again. I don't buy that you aren't good at Cresson either as last year in the toyo races you had a 1st and 3rd.

The interest is in a tire that will cut tire budgets from $6-7k to under $2k for a season. That benefits most of the people who make most events and would increase car count for people who have cars sitting at home and potentially have people buy cars that are sitting.

The age of our cars is and isn't valid as Spec Miata is for 1990-2005. Spec E46 is a relatively new class for 2001-2006 cars so the newest available chassis is 13 years old. Some think it's growing like crazy but the costs of that class have gotten out of hand in my opinion so we will see if the class does the same as Spec Iron. I don't see a way to bring the newer cars into our class as that was already tried.

MP-where all these AIX cars that would populate the class? If so then wouldn't a popular class be a good problem? If 30 AIX lite cars were gridded at Nationals with the 2-3 AIX cars with 700 hp I don't think it would have mattered.

Of course one could stay in CMC with a different tire and "fun run".

I do understand those who most often win the contingencies (Jander, Mosty, Curtis, McSpadden) not wanting a change. Let's keep the discussion going and the information coming and Records point us to the thread you want everything moved to since you are gathering the data.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

I honestly don’t care what tire we run on. All I’m saying is to maximize growth there will come a point where more than just tires will have to be considered. Tires are pricey and I would love to save more money but the approach we are taking to try and get a change in my opinion is a waste of time considering the close relationship Nasa has with Toyo. I think we need to actually come together at a national level and talk to national reps and lobby for change instead of just buying some random set of tires, running one weekend on them on a track that has grip no matter what you put on it and drawing a conclusion that this is the answer.
    ― Paul Newman

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    We tried that years ago and decided the S197 had to run on 225mm tires and everyone bailed. I don't get why people think our cars are too old when we have Spec E30 and Spec Miata that thrive and all the hipsters seem to love those cars.
    RM CMC Director

one word........RELIABILITY!!!
    ― Paul Newman

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    A car that doesn't make enough power to hurt itself is of no interest to me.
    RM CMC Director

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I honestly don’t care what tire we run on. All I’m saying is to maximize growth there will come a point where more than just tires will have to be considered. Tires are pricey and I would love to save more money but the approach we are taking to try and get a change in my opinion is a waste of time considering the close relationship Nasa has with Toyo. I think we need to actually come together at a national level and talk to national reps and lobby for change instead of just buying some random set of tires, running one weekend on them on a track that has grip no matter what you put on it and drawing a conclusion that this is the answer.
    I agree with you Aaron. I think for this to work we need to talk to Toyo people (an engineer and others) about if what we want to do is even possible and if so on what Toy tire.

Sorry Daniel we screwed up your thread. Maybe someone could move all this to the tire thread.

JJ

Senior Member Grass-Passer MikeP99Z's Avatar
    My point is, as soon as you throw an "X" on the car, then it's game on to be within the AIX rules. No way to police a gentleman's agreement to stay within CMC rules for AIX. Hmm, pull restrictor plate, add cam, a little of this, a little of that.