Thread: MSRC/CMC Media

Hybrid View

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Suck fumes View Post
    So if the push is for a less grippy tire for expense and wear and tear problems to grow the class.....There is going to come a point where the year model range for cars is going to have to expand. I mean the 2005 mustang is already 14yrs old! Younger new comers looking in are going to have a hell of a time finding a 20-30 yr old camaro or mustang that’s in decent enough shape to even build. Not to mention a 30 yr old car is not a very attractive incentive to want to build for a guy who wasn’t even born when those cars were around. I know that’s kind of off topic but if the reason to change tires is because cars are breaking then maybe there should be a much bigger rule change in the future if you want more growth. The point is to bring new people in not just to bring the older people back. Having both would be ideal but can’t please everyone.

For me Aaron the question is if we had a tire that does not fall off with heat cycles (if that is even possible) could we grow the class? If you are not at the pointy end of the field but you want to be as fast as possible every time on track you are forced to purchase a new set of tires every race weekend. If you are not getting any (or very little) Toyo money it may make you stop racing or never start. I know when I started 10 years ago not a single CMC racer was buying tires for every race. In fact for some reason they believed the tires (RA-1's) were their fastest just prior to cording. I was shocked how much more road racing (even at this low level) cost me than I thought it would. Then the 888 debacle then the RR comes along and several of the fastest guys were showing up with stickers for every event. Most of us (if not all of us) can afford to buy a new set for every event. The question is how much could we grow the class if we could cut the cost of tires? I do not know that answer. Maybe it would make no difference. The fast guys will still be the fast guys and us mid pack slackers will still be where we always are just maybe at half the tire cost.

JJ

Senior Member Grass-Passer Suck fumes's Avatar
    I honestly don’t care what tire we run on. All I’m saying is to maximize growth there will come a point where more than just tires will have to be considered. Tires are pricey and I would love to save more money but the approach we are taking to try and get a change in my opinion is a waste of time considering the close relationship Nasa has with Toyo. I think we need to actually come together at a national level and talk to national reps and lobby for change instead of just buying some random set of tires, running one weekend on them on a track that has grip no matter what you put on it and drawing a conclusion that this is the answer.
    “A man with no enemies is a man with no character.”
    ― Paul Newman

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Suck fumes View Post
    I honestly don’t care what tire we run on. All I’m saying is to maximize growth there will come a point where more than just tires will have to be considered. Tires are pricey and I would love to save more money but the approach we are taking to try and get a change in my opinion is a waste of time considering the close relationship Nasa has with Toyo. I think we need to actually come together at a national level and talk to national reps and lobby for change instead of just buying some random set of tires, running one weekend on them on a track that has grip no matter what you put on it and drawing a conclusion that this is the answer.
    I agree with you Aaron. I think for this to work we need to talk to Toyo people (an engineer and others) about if what we want to do is even possible and if so on what Toy tire.

Sorry Daniel we screwed up your thread. Maybe someone could move all this to the tire thread.

JJ

Senior Member Grass-Passer MikeP99Z's Avatar
    My point is, as soon as you throw an "X" on the car, then it's game on to be within the AIX rules. No way to police a gentleman's agreement to stay within CMC rules for AIX. Hmm, pull restrictor plate, add cam, a little of this, a little of that.

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Blog Entries
    You guys are insufferable! One jerk starts a tire thread and we can't talk about anything else. Lol. Soo who wants to send me videos (from the races).
    Daniel Records
    CMC # 34

Quote Originally Posted by drecords View Post
    You guys are insufferable! One jerk starts a tire thread and we can't talk about anything else. Lol. Soo who wants to send me videos (from the races).
    I have gigbytes of front and rear dash cam video. I don't have a good way to combine all the clips together because they all over lap a few seconds. Also, the cameras go into emergency record quite often with the crazy spring rates I've got. I'll try to figure something out soon.

- Josh
    CMC #50