Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MSRC/CMC Media

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    My fast lap times for each race were:
    Race 1 - 1:25.129, was on heat cycle #11 (car was pushing very bad)
    Race 2 - 1:24.565, was on heat cycle #12 (made three different adjustments and handling was much better)
    Race 3 - 1:25.289, was on heat cycle #14 (was pushing again as RF tire was almost bald)
    Race 4 - 1:24.421, was on heat cycle #15 (swapped LF to RF and had much better grip)

I was surprised to see my fast lap of the weekend come in the last session but I was making adjustments throughout the whole event. 3 of my 4 tires are almost bald and will probably not see the track again. This was the fewest heat cycles I have ever gone through a set of tires but they did have some long races with Nationals, Houston, and Cresson.
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blk96gt View Post
    10+ heat cycle toyo's were competitive with sticker toyos this weekend. This "tire test" didn't prove anything except that they're a slower tire.
    True-the Falkens fastest lap were half a second slower than you were in R2 and R4 but I don't know if that was due to the tires or driving. What do you and Mosty's lap times look like compared to the winners on stickers other than being maybe a second slower but still competitive?

I wasn't aware you did a back to back test on the same car/driver/conditions/pressures being optimal? So not sure what your definition of "competitive" is but might guess they were as competitively slower compared to the Falken.

Clearly you have an issue with any consideration for a different tire and that's fine but you are in the minority as it appears everyone other than maybe the directors are interested in finding a better tire. I believe Sook is correct that sticker Toyo's decisively won the Toyo races and some of the traditional trophy girls on heat cycled RR's weren't competitive with the stickers.

Jerry-remember there is AIX which we can all run in and follow every rule of CMC other than the tire being a Falken. I doubt Will is going to turn down $5,000 in entry fees for every event from the second largest class in NASA TX.

Curious to see who all is interested in running Falkens the whole weekend at Hallett.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blk96gt View Post
    This "tire test" didn't prove anything except that they're a slower tire.
    The point of a spec tire is that everyone has equal tires to race on. Their performance compared to other brands is irrelevant. There is no need for them to be competitive with Toyos. If anything, I think most people were shocked how fast the test tires were. One of the reasons for going to a different tire is the hope that they have less grip so we would break fewer parts. We are seriously abusing very old cars that were never meant to handle the loads we are placing on them.

Richard P.

Senior Member Grass-Passer Suck fumes's Avatar
    If everyone wants a less grippy product then pick the R1R (200tw) or something in the toyo family. Nasa is not going to separate from Toyo anytime soon nor do I see them allowing a competitor brand slip into a spec tire class.

I concur with Kevin. What did anyone prove other than wasting time and money.
    “A man with no enemies is a man with no character.”
    ― Paul Newman

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    Bryan, the fastest race lap of the weekend was a 1:23.9xx by B. Curtis in Race 1 on stickers. I was pleasantly surprised my best lap of the weekend was only a 1/2 second off the fastest lap considering it was on the 15th heat cycle on my tires and I am historically not as fast at Cresson. I personally have never in my life run a lap in the 23's in my car.
    Also, John had the overall fastest lap of the weekend in Sunday qualifying with a 1:23.134 and I think his RR's were around heat cycle 10.

I think those times show the RR holds up maybe better than expected.

I was very impressed with the speed out of the Falken's. I didn't think they would be close to the same lap times as the RR and R4 showed they were no more than 1 second slower.
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Blog Entries
    Any of y'all gonna send me videos? There's a tire thread for this.
    Daniel Records
    CMC # 34

Quote Originally Posted by Suck fumes View Post
    What did anyone prove other than wasting time and money.
    The Cresson tire test was extremely successful in getting the conversation started. Suggesting an alternative Toyo has not gone over well before - people suddenly seem OK with the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Suck fumes View Post
    If everyone wants a less grippy product then pick the R1R (200tw) or something in the toyo family. Nasa is not going to separate from Toyo anytime soon nor do I see them allowing a competitor brand slip into a spec tire class.
    Can you imagine what kind of backlash there would have been if we had originally suggested R1Rs? I will say that I haven't heard anything, good or bad, about R1Rs. The Youtubes are all the rage about the R888R, but everything I've seen is from track day bros that scored them for free to review (subscriber count is king), never a real competition or TT.

Falken is showing serious support for the 615+ in the competition tire realm, and a lot of people are running them hard without issue. I think running AIX is a good plan to test a tire, I don't see that as a long term solution though. There is also the 200TW TT class that's taking off with the Falkens.

Does anyone know the real reason we couldn't get RRs? Prices went up this year and availability went down. If we're going to run fancy expensive race tires we should at least be able to buy them.

- Josh
    CMC #50

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sook View Post
    The Cresson tire test was extremely successful in getting the conversation started. Suggesting an alternative Toyo has not gone over well before - people suddenly seem OK with the idea.

Can you imagine what kind of backlash there would have been if we had originally suggested R1Rs? I will say that I haven't heard anything, good or bad, about R1Rs. The Youtubes are all the rage about the R888R, but everything I've seen is from track day bros that scored them for free to review (subscriber count is king), never a real competition or TT.

Falken is showing serious support for the 615+ in the competition tire realm, and a lot of people are running them hard without issue. I think running AIX is a good plan to test a tire, I don't see that as a long term solution though. There is also the 200TW TT class that's taking off with the Falkens.

Does anyone know the real reason we couldn't get RRs? Prices went up this year and availability went down. If we're going to run fancy expensive race tires we should at least be able to buy them.

- Josh
    After talking it over with a few others after R4, I'll be reaching out to some of you for some data on #of heat cycles at various times and start building a spreadsheet to track RR degradation versus alternative tire degradation with heat cycles.

I agree with the sentiments that it would be I'll advised for us all to show up and run AIX in lieu of CMC on an alternative tire. I will keep running my set of streets in practice days/DE's and keep putting HC's on them.
    Last edited by drecords; 03-12-2019 at 06:38 PM.
    Daniel Records
    CMC # 34

Senior Member Grass-Passer MikeP99Z's Avatar
    Since AIX will be so popular, all the AI guys are going to participate with 700+hp motors and 315 Hoosier R7s. Hope that's ok...

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelmosty View Post
    My fast lap times for each race were:
    Race 1 - 1:25.129, was on heat cycle #11 - Temp 72, pressure 29.1 (green track after overnight rain)
    Race 2 - 1:24.565, was on heat cycle #12 - Temp 57, pressure 29.1
    Race 3 - 1:25.289, was on heat cycle #14 - Temp 52, pressure 29.3 (intermittent light spitting rain)
    Race 4 - 1:24.421, was on heat cycle #15 - Temp 53, pressure 29.4

I was surprised to see my fast lap of the weekend come in the last session but I was making adjustments throughout the whole event.
    The best conditions of the weekend were also in race four. So many variables to account for. The big question is what your lap times would have been with fresher rubber? I would love to see that data that doesn't (and effectively can't) exist.

Richard P.