Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Roebling Road

Senior Member Rookie 64GunPilot's Avatar

Roebling Road

1st HPDE this weekend ever this weekend at Roebling Road. 1st time to drive this car ever. Lot of 1st's.

Only had two days to prep the car for the first event. Needed a seat, seat belts, and a good overall inspection. Got it all done without too much problem. (forgot to check fluids DOH!)

Drove to Georgia to visit my brother and hit Roebling Road for HPDE1. My Excursion, trailer, and car inside the trailer were filthy from dirt roads where they all had been stored at while in Korea. So on our way from my brothers house to the track my wife and I stopped at a carwash. Pulled the car out, sprayed it down being careful not to spray inside. Car wouldn't start back up. DOH!! Mother *%&$^. Thought maybe the ECU inside had some water run down the wires and into the circuit board....not sure really. Got some help and pushed it into the trailer. Drove to Roebling Road and like a first time newb parked in someone else's territory (SpecE30). They helped me with the car some (mainly to get me out of their area probably lol). Swapped ECU, still nothing. Checked for spark, had good spark. Pulled the dizzy cap, no moisture, reinstalled. SpecE30 guy hits the start button and she fires up like nothing ever happened. Not sure WTF. Happy she's running, I moved and setup camp this time in accordance with the paddock map and drove to inspection.....no problems there.

Next day, class and then 1st track session. I realized I missed checking the fluids properly. So one last lug nut torque, tire pressure check, and I went ahead and checked fluids......NO WATER in the radiator. Started filling with water and it was pooring out a freeze plug that popped out. WONDERFUL. Missed that session. Its the one between the engine mount and the block, so we get a crow bar and pry it back into place hoping it holds. Cut a piece of wood and wedged it in there so it can't back out. This time, she held water. 2nd session rolls around and I go out on track with my instructor. Im super slow. Miatas, 4dr Mini Coopers, and a bone stock Ford Fusion among everything else on the track passes me as I am getting a feel for this car. Car ran great no problems. 3rd session I put on the rains that the previous owner included with the car as I go out in a torrential down poor. Learning a lot and not getting passed as much, the car ran great. Last session of the day car is running hot on the grid, and she stays at the 200* mark for 3 laps and starts climbing. Bring her in early and she's blowing steam from the left bank. GREAT....blown head gasket I think.

Wife and I frustrated, we go eat to relax. Come back after dark, jack up the car, look at it from underneath.....EVEN MORE BAD NEWS. Cracked engine block. FUCK ME. What a first experience with my new CMC racecar right? Well one good thing is the head gasket isnt blown, steam was just venting from the cracked water jackets. Drive back into town, buy some quickset JBWeld and some brake cleaner, returned to a thunderstorm and more down poors. Crawled in river flowing underneath my car to scrub the block with a steel brush and the brake cleaner. This water jacket was displaced by 1/8" with the crack 4" long in 3 directions. Mixed up the whole batch of JBWeld and pressed it into the cracks and smeared a thick coat over the entire side of the block and let it cure overnight while it rained all night.

Next morning nothing but sunshine and after class session, filled radiator with water....NO leaks at this point. Meet the instructor, and we grid. Ran the car balls to the wall, and learned how to drive this car and finding its limits. Learning the lines, breaking points, and trying to put eyes on the flag stations as I pass by. Speed came to me a little bit more and more each session. The car survived all 5 sessions today without even a trace of water leaking. JBWeld did the trick. Can't believe it. Solo'd the last two sessions of the day. What a blast. Still lots to learn.

Car runs great. Loving it. Gonna run it as-is at Memphis International Raceway next weekend and hopefully get checked out into HPDE2. We'll see. Fingers crossed this bubble gum repair holds as I have MIR and CMP scheduled in the upcoming weekends. I know Im on borrowed time with this crack, but I do not believe at stock power levels that we have a structural problem. Thoughts anyone??

Tire question: All my tires that came with the car are RA1s. I noticed AFTER I took off my rain tires that they were a little dry rotted on the treads....looked at the date codes and they are 15 years OLD!!! YIKES, I ran these at 130mph down the straights in the rain! Looked at the rest of the spares.....yea 12-15 years old. Only two of these tires appeared dry rotted, the rest look ok. Whats the thought on this? Discard the dry rotted tires, and run the rest that look ok? Or replace them all?
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________
    -Dylan
    3rd Gen CMC Wannabee

Quote Originally Posted by 64GunPilot View Post

Tire question: All my tires that came with the car are RA1s. I noticed AFTER I took off my rain tires that they were a little dry rotted on the treads....looked at the date codes and they are 15 years OLD!!! YIKES, I ran these at 130mph down the straights in the rain! Looked at the rest of the spares.....yea 12-15 years old. Only two of these tires appeared dry rotted, the rest look ok. Whats the thought on this? Discard the dry rotted tires, and run the rest that look ok? Or replace them all?
    Nope, nope, nope, nope. Just my 2 ¢. I'm just an amateur race car mechanic but I've got a 77 Vette and already this spring I've seen too
    many pictures on the C3 forums of blown up Corvette fenders because "they looked brand new" tires disintegrated at 50 or 60 mph.
    When date codes were checked the tires were 9 or 10 years old. Realized last year that the tires on mine were 9 years old. Time for
    new shoes - I'd guess the ones on the car probably have easily less than 1000 miles (were on the car when I bought it) and I wouldn't
    be shocked to find out they have less than 500 miles on them. I know the car was driven less than 100 miles the year before I
    bought it (personal toy of the owner of the dealership) and the story was that he got it from an old guy who had done some
    of the restorative work and got to the point where he didn't/couldn't drive it any longer.

The problem is not with the tread on these tires, well besides that they are probably as hard as granite. It's the delamination of the
    belts in the tire carcass. Unless you get a bubble or notice an egg shaped tire, you'll get the message when it's scattered all over
    the track, probably in the middle of a high speed corner or at the top end of the long straight. Brown moment anyone?

The stupid part on the C3 is that RWL factory style replacement tires are stupid expensive because they are now a "specialty" tire
    and only manufactured in limited batches. You might end up getting a 2 year old date coded tire from the"new" tire place.
    Yea, Thanks Guys.

Nothing good happens when a tire reverts to some-assembly-required at 130 mph.
    --
    ------__o
    -----_\ <,_
    ----(_)/ (_)
    Laissez les bons temps rouler

Quote Originally Posted by 39PitCrew View Post
    Nothing good happens when a tire reverts to some-assembly-required at 130 mph.
    It would be unfortunate to lose a car and risk injury for want of several hundred bucks of tires. No need to run Toyos for HPDE1/2 anyway. Street tires are cheaper, more forgiving, and tend to have more feedback.

I would not run any of those date codes. Most organizations in TX have a maximum tire age of 5 years.

- Josh
    CMC #50

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    If you can connect with some AI/CMC racers in your area I'm sure they would give (or sell at a very low price) you some used RA1's. I have two or sets of four that have over 14 heat cycles on them and at least 1/3rd of their tread. I'm sure every CMC guy racing this year or last will have tires that are not fast enough to race on but plenty fast for a HPDE driver trying to build seat time. If you were around here I have a set you can have for free.....maybe two.

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post
    If you were around here I have a set you can have for free.....maybe two.

Jerry
    Ooooo ... some cheater Mustang tires. Yes!
    (With apologies to Jerry, I'm sure an OiF driver who shall remain unnamed has said that at some time or another.)
    --
    ------__o
    -----_\ <,_
    ----(_)/ (_)
    Laissez les bons temps rouler

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Blog Entries
    1st HPDE this weekend ever this weekend at Roebling Road. 1st time to drive this car ever. Lot of 1st's.

Only had two days to prep the car for the first event. Needed a seat, seat belts, and a good overall inspection. Got it all done without too much problem. (forgot to check fluids DOH!)

Drove to Georgia to visit my brother and hit Roebling Road for HPDE1. My Excursion, trailer, and car inside the trailer were filthy from dirt roads where they all had been stored at while in Korea. So on our way from my brothers house to the track my wife and I stopped at a carwash. Pulled the car out, sprayed it down being careful not to spray inside. Car wouldn't start back up. DOH!! Mother *%&$^. Thought maybe the ECU inside had some water run down the wires and into the circuit board....not sure really. Got some help and pushed it into the trailer. Drove to Roebling Road and like a first time newb parked in someone else's territory (SpecE30). They helped me with the car some (mainly to get me out of their area probably lol). Swapped ECU, still nothing. Checked for spark, had good spark. Pulled the dizzy cap, no moisture, reinstalled. SpecE30 guy hits the start button and she fires up like nothing ever happened. Not sure WTF. Happy she's running, I moved and setup camp this time in accordance with the paddock map and drove to inspection.....no problems there.

Next day, class and then 1st track session. I realized I missed checking the fluids properly. So one last lug nut torque, tire pressure check, and I went ahead and checked fluids......NO WATER in the radiator. Started filling with water and it was pooring out a freeze plug that popped out. WONDERFUL. Missed that session. Its the one between the engine mount and the block, so we get a crow bar and pry it back into place hoping it holds. Cut a piece of wood and wedged it in there so it can't back out. This time, she held water. 2nd session rolls around and I go out on track with my instructor. Im super slow. Miatas, 4dr Mini Coopers, and a bone stock Ford Fusion among everything else on the track passes me as I am getting a feel for this car. Car ran great no problems. 3rd session I put on the rains that the previous owner included with the car as I go out in a torrential down poor. Learning a lot and not getting passed as much, the car ran great. Last session of the day car is running hot on the grid, and she stays at the 200* mark for 3 laps and starts climbing. Bring her in early and she's blowing steam from the left bank. GREAT....blown head gasket I think.

Wife and I frustrated, we go eat to relax. Come back after dark, jack up the car, look at it from underneath.....EVEN MORE BAD NEWS. Cracked engine block. FUCK ME. What a first experience with my new CMC racecar right? Well one good thing is the head gasket isnt blown, steam was just venting from the cracked water jackets. Drive back into town, buy some quickset JBWeld and some brake cleaner, returned to a thunderstorm and more down poors. Crawled in river flowing underneath my car to scrub the block with a steel brush and the brake cleaner. This water jacket was displaced by 1/8" with the crack 4" long in 3 directions. Mixed up the whole batch of JBWeld and pressed it into the cracks and smeared a thick coat over the entire side of the block and let it cure overnight while it rained all night.

Next morning nothing but sunshine and after class session, filled radiator with water....NO leaks at this point. Meet the instructor, and we grid. Ran the car balls to the wall, and learned how to drive this car and finding its limits. Learning the lines, breaking points, and trying to put eyes on the flag stations as I pass by. Speed came to me a little bit more and more each session. The car survived all 5 sessions today without even a trace of water leaking. JBWeld did the trick. Can't believe it. Solo'd the last two sessions of the day. What a blast. Still lots to learn.

Car runs great. Loving it. Gonna run it as-is at Memphis International Raceway next weekend and hopefully get checked out into HPDE2. We'll see. Fingers crossed this bubble gum repair holds as I have MIR and CMP scheduled in the upcoming weekends. I know Im on borrowed time with this crack, but I do not believe at stock power levels that we have a structural problem. Thoughts anyone??

I'd start getting the parts and pieces together to replace that engine block...also consider an LS swap if your car isn't already (I don't remember from your previous posts). We have enough difficulty getting engines to hold together in the base case, let alone with a crack pookyed (technical term) up w/ JB Weld.

Also -- if you're just running DE pick up a set of 200TW street tires, see other thread on that -- I'd rather have a consistent tire to learn on then risk driving around on hard as rocks old stuff. Pick up some RR's when you're ready to come race.
    Daniel Records
    CMC # 34

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    I was gonna suggest a 5.3 swap as well. You can run the truck accessories everybody throws away.
    RM CMC Director

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post
    If you can connect with some AI/CMC racers in your area I'm sure they would give (or sell at a very low price) you some used RA1's. I have two or sets of four that have over 14 heat cycles on them and at least 1/3rd of their tread. I'm sure every CMC guy racing this year or last will have tires that are not fast enough to race on but plenty fast for a HPDE driver trying to build seat time. If you were around here I have a set you can have for free.....maybe two.

Jerry
    Im a Texas guy (sorta) but in Alabama for a couple months for training. Using this time to get some DE weekends with the car in different regions. I'll gladly take any tires that have tread left that are being discarded and/or pay it in beer. Problem is, Im still on 16" wheels. I see the R888R's are a decent price for the sizes I can run (255/50/16). My best tires at the moment are 7 years old, however I am very surprised at how grippy they are. Certainly not hard like most think. Even the dry rotted tires held great in the rain (before I realized they were 15yrs old).

I have my 2nd DE at Memphis next weekend. I think Im gonna wrap a new set of R888R's and run them for safety and piece of mind. Gonna dismount and discard all these old tires.

I'd start getting the parts and pieces together to replace that engine block...also consider an LS swap if your car isn't already (I don't remember from your previous posts). We have enough difficulty getting engines to hold together in the base case, let alone with a crack pookyed (technical term) up w/ JB Weld.

Also -- if you're just running DE pick up a set of 200TW street tires, see other thread on that -- I'd rather have a consistent tire to learn on then risk driving around on hard as rocks old stuff. Pick up some RR's when you're ready to come race.
    Yea, Im gonna find a machine shop this week and see about getting a block prepped. Im hoping to swap the internals over myself when there is a break between events. Im still hoping to meet you guys in Hallett in HPDE 3/4 in June. I doubt I'll have time to break this TPI engine down and rebuild it before then. So I may be running this JBWelded engine then. I'll report back after MIR this weekend. As for the tires, there arent a lot of options for 255 16" tires. R888Rs are around $675 shipped. So this is my plan for now.

I was gonna suggest a 5.3 swap as well. You can run the truck accessories everybody throws away.
    An LS swap sounds great, but I'm slow when it comes to stuff like that. It'll take me months to do an LS swap (if I do it all on my own without help). But honestly, my first experience this weekend with the TPI......Im impressed. I really liked its power. It was a very balanced car. Torque curves were perfect. At the moment, Im kinda like a teenager that just met his first love even though she's ugly.
    Last edited by 64GunPilot; 04-08-2019 at 09:45 PM.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________
    -Dylan
    3rd Gen CMC Wannabee

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    An LS swap sounds great, but I'm slow when it comes to stuff like that. It'll take me months to do an LS swap (if I do it all on my own without help).
    Pfft. Based on what you posted here, you just need a parts list. I'll make sure Sean checks here and gets with you. In fact, we might have an LS/T56 or T5 combo we could come up with. Computer and harness is the fairly easy part.

Welcome to the fun that is CMC.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Fbody383 View Post
    Pfft. Based on what you posted here, you just need a parts list. I'll make sure Sean checks here and gets with you. In fact, we might have an LS/T56 or T5 combo we could come up with. Computer and harness is the fairly easy part.

Welcome to the fun that is CMC.
    Thanks for the vote of confidence. Ive been wanting to try the spec engine routes. I have a vortec 350 in need of a rebuild. Might have it built per the rule book. I don’t know. Who knows....it’s possible that this JBWeld will hold up a long time. Might even last through Hallett.

On another note, I found some 255/50/16 RA1s x 4 on eBay for $480 shipped. It wouldn’t make it to me in time for this weekend at Memphis, so bought some 888s from tirerack $650. Gonna discard ALL 16 tires I got with the sale of the car (disappointing). But feels better to know I’m on new shoes.
    -Dylan
    3rd Gen CMC Wannabee