Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Roebling Road

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    I'm an overwhelming fan of EFI and 5.3s are cheap. Your T5 should bolt right up too, just a matter of clutch trickery to make that work.
    RM CMC Director

Quote Originally Posted by 64GunPilot View Post
    Im still hoping to meet you guys in Hallett in HPDE 3/4 in June.
    If you bring all the 5.3 parts and enough beer to Hallett, the AI/CMC camp will have that swap done before dinner time on Friday!

- Josh
    CMC #50

Senior Member Rookie 64GunPilot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sook View Post
    If you bring all the 5.3 parts and enough beer to Hallett, the AI/CMC camp will have that swap done before dinner time on Friday!

- Josh
    Ok. Well looks like this weekend at MIR (Memphis) is cancelled due to weather. I guess its supposed to rain cats n dogs. Anyways, that gives me some time. If I can get a parts list for the 5.3 swap, I'll start pricing it out and shopping around the junk yards here in Alabama. I'll also be looking at other forums for swap info too. Going into research mode now.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________
    -Dylan
    3rd Gen CMC Wannabee

Junior Member Rookie
    I have done several LS conversions and put together a couple LS cars from scratch. I have a excel spread sheet of all the parts needed to convert a LT1 fourth gen to a LS1. It does not have everything you would need to do a 3rd gen to LS the file does have a lot of part numbers and stuff you would need to convert. If you are interested shoot me a email. Bobden10@gmail.com
    Bob
    Bob Denton
    CMC #67
    Great Lakes Region

Quote Originally Posted by Den34 View Post
    I have done several LS conversions and put together a couple LS cars from scratch. I have a excel spread sheet of all the parts needed to convert a LT1 fourth gen to a LS1. It does not have everything you would need to do a 3rd gen to LS the file does have a lot of part numbers and stuff you would need to convert. If you are interested shoot me a email. Bobden10@gmail.com
    Bob

Thank you for sending me the spreadsheet. Very helpful. Still weighing options.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________
    -Dylan
    3rd Gen CMC Wannabee

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    The LS is definitely worth the price of admission, but damn the price of admission is a bitch.

My advice is to find a clean used replacement block for what you have now and just drop it in and send it! Getting harder to find clean 305/350s these days but maybe an old vortec pull out can fit the bill.

Senior Member Grass-Passer y5e06's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pranav View Post
    My advice is to find a clean used replacement block for what you have now and just drop it in and send it! Getting harder to find clean 305/350s these days but maybe an old vortec pull out can fit the bill.
    shoot, 350's are still out there in abundance. Last trip to the pick and pull I walked by 7 of them, and i was just glancing and not shopping. Last long block I got someone just gave me... for free, and it is in good shape.

Vortec shortblock will work just fine, as long as you're running an electric fuel pump. vortecs and most TBI blocks don't have the mechanical fuel pump boss fully machined.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Oh wow gotcha, thought they were just crushing pre 2000 stuff nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by Pranav View Post
    Oh wow gotcha, thought they were just crushing pre 2000 stuff nowadays.
    A quick call to a few salvage yards around me here in Alabama, asking for a Chevrolet 305 engine and they ask “say again what kind of engine?” I say 305 Chevy they say “ oh no we don’t have stuff that old around here, we recycle all those old Chevy 5.0s. Nobody ever wants a 305”. I found one though supposedly was a good engine 3yrs ago but has been in the dirt under plywood asking $250. Found rebuilt short blocks in Tyler Tx for $700. Not sure which direction I’ll go yet.

Just outta curiosity, why is the LS such a great investment for the track? Torque Curves? Maintainability? Cost of ownership? What is all the hype about? Maybe I need a ride along to see/feel the difference. Because right now, I’m super impressed with my first love (this 305 TPI w/vortec heads).
    -Dylan
    3rd Gen CMC Wannabee

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    I have a roller 305 Tpi motor complete 1.6 roller rockers it even has the lower intake manifold for Tpi Will need to be rebuilt rear main seal was leaking oil but was running when I pulled it out of my race car. I have lots of Tpi Parts also if you’re interested you can have it all with the motor. I even have a brand new wire harness ( painless in the box, and a computer 7730)
    If you’re interested PM me