Thread: Fox Mustang rack and pinion max pressure?

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Fox Mustang rack and pinion max pressure?

In my 68 C10 build the truck will have a 80-93 Fox r&p in it.
    I will be using a 4th gen LS pump.
    I need to know the max pressure the rack can take.
    I am seeing right at 1100psi as a max. Can anyone confirm?

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    I can confirm that you should return to CMC.
    RM CMC Director

Blog Entries
    Careful.

Blog Entries
    Got this from Turn One today.
    I always had my pumps de-flowed and this seems to be a good off the shelf option from them for CMC 4th gens.

Pressure isn't an issue with the rack as long as its seals are in good condition and installed correctly. The flow rate however will need to be modified to work with the Mustang rack. If you are looking to get a new pump, you can order the LS1RX7 or LS1NIS*pump online and it would have the correct flow rate for the Mustang rack (which is 1.3gpm).

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennCMC70 View Post
    Got this from Turn One today.
    I always had my pumps de-flowed and this seems to be a good off the shelf option from them for CMC 4th gens.

Pressure isn't an issue with the rack as long as its seals are in good condition and installed correctly. The flow rate however will need to be modified to work with the Mustang rack. If you are looking to get a new pump, you can order the LS1RX7 or LS1NIS*pump online and it would have the correct flow rate for the Mustang rack (which is 1.3gpm).
    Glenn,

I have been having good luck with my PSC rebuilt LS1 pump. I not only had them deflow mine, but I had the outlet permanently converted to 6an and had them ditch the reservoir and convert the inlet to 10an so I could reuse/relo my LT1 reservoir and never risk dumping PSF on the alternator at high RPM like everyone else. I also bought and installed the Turn one pulley for it.

I wasn't sure if you are using LS1 camaro accessories or truck accesseries on your truck build, but if you are in the situation where the PS pump is on top of the alternator then its worth a look and calling PSC to duplicate my setup.

Talk to Raymond over there; he came out to a CMC race at ECR and will come back out to watch once we get a date on the calendar.

Senior Member Grass-Passer Wade's Avatar
    Glenn, I am under the impression that the stock flow on a Mustang rack is 2.0 GPM. I just picked up a KRC pump with attached reservoir and did the AN conversion on the rack. If you are running a fox rack, then there is no reason for you not to be running a newer rack. The inner tie rods are interchangeable and the steering feel is supposed to be much better. Here is the link to the adapter fittings. You can buy off the shelf stuff and cross thread it into the hole, but I could not find anywhere else that had the correct metric fittings to convert to AN.
    https://www.maximummotorsports.com/M...004-P1001.aspx

https://www.maximummotorsports.com/S...-Fox-swap.aspx
    '86 Mustang Coupe - CMC2 34

Blog Entries
    Thanks Wade.
    I had 2 sources tell me it is 1.3 after I posted this. Pressure doesn't seem to be the main issue. 1100 to 1300 psi is not an issues with these racks.
    I am using this rack as it is what came with the kit.
    Is there a better year to pull from that is compatible?

Blog Entries

Angry

I also still need to convert the tie rods over to rodends. Ford tie rods dont seat well in GM spindles.

Senior Member Grass-Passer Wade's Avatar
    The 2000 Conbra R is supposed to be the best, followed by 2003-04 Cobra. But, good luck finding any of that stuff in usable condition for cheap. I just bought aused 2000 rack from the autoparts store. Figured it was better (due to the internal design) than the fox, so any improvement was better than what I had. Yes, pressures can vary and the rack seems to be able to handle most in the range. I bought the rod ends from MM, but circle track stores will likely be cheaper. The Fox rack has standard inner tie rods, and the 1994 and newer racks have metric inner tie rods that at 3/4" longer per side. Get whichever you want, they are interchangeable, and then buy rod ends to suit your needs. Sounds like fun!
    '86 Mustang Coupe - CMC2 34