I wanted to share my experience at my first SCCA event last month at Hallett, I've heard a lot of things about running with SCCA and didn't know what to expect so I figured it would be helpful to share.

This was for the SCCA super tour which is a national tour similar to what you would see in a pro tour, no DE, all racing.
Considering this wasn’t just a regional event the tech was more intense than what I am used to.

A few of the best SM racers in the country were there, Drago, Haldeman, Matt Reynolds so the competition was good.

The worst of the weekend was getting my annual because I didn’t have a logbook so I had to run around to try and find the person with the log books, once I got my hands on one everything was pretty smooth, the staff was fantastic and quite large.

Saturday I qual’d P5, finished P8, had major power issues later in the race because the car was only running 140f, outside temps were in the 30’s eek!

Sunday was better, put a thermostat in the car and qual’d P3 finished P4.

Not a lot of track time here, you get a qual and a race each day, that’s all, I actually liked this as it allowed me to prepare better for the race and I was on the road back to Dallas at 1pm on Sunday. TnT was critical on Friday to get everything ready for the racing on Sat/Sun.

The event was run very tight, they had someone commentating the races over the speakers and streaming on the SCCA website realtime. Tech was interesting, I had my throttle body pulled twice for a restrictor plate check, they hit the EGR tube with a temp gun to make sure it was flowing exhaust gas, another car had it’s intake pulled and they put a ball in front of the maf to make sure it died (not pulling air from somewhere else). Sunday they had me pull my ECU, they opened it up and looked very carefully to see if anything had been soldiered or disturbed on the PCB.

To get registered for the event without a SCCA comp license I had to talk to 3 different people who were all very responsive and pleasant to deal with, they allowed me to use my NASA medical as it was less than 6 months old.

Event registration was $500 for the 2 day weekend, 2 20m quals, 25 and a 35m race.
I won 2 hoosiers ($400 value) and $150 from Mazda for the P4.