Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First SCCA Event

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    AX is good to get the car control fundamentals down, but after a certain point if you aren't a good "sight reader" in that you can pick up a course by walking it and master it in 3 runs, it's time to move on to DEs.

I stuck with AX for 8 years and felt it was 3 years too long; never could figure out a course quickly, need repetition like you would on a track.

The $/time to seat time ratio is horrible as well.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Quote Originally Posted by 64GunPilot View Post
    Yea...Took me 3 tries just to navigate the course properly. And yes....things happen so fast. Learning one lap at a time, the learning curve isnt as steep.
    AX is a blast, do non Scca if you can you usually get more runs. Study the course map, close your eyes and drive it in your head, after a few events reading the cones gets much more natural esp after a course walk.
    Last edited by mach1; 04-29-2019 at 04:31 PM.
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mach1 View Post
    AX is a blast, do non Scca if you can you usually get more runs. Study the course map, close your eyes and drive it in your head, after a few events reading the cones gets much more natural esp after a course walk.

I've been wanting to troll some autox events in the CMC car as a way to evangelize for NASA but the timing never seems to line up. Summer time is balls to the walls between NASA and all the other fun that gets crammed in there. I used to autox before my NASA days and it is fun, but it's a really high sunburn to track time ratio and way less beer drinking and BSing.
    RM CMC Director

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Supercharged111 View Post
    I've been wanting to troll some autox events in the CMC car as a way to evangelize for NASA but the timing never seems to line up. Summer time is balls to the walls between NASA and all the other fun that gets crammed in there. I used to autox before my NASA days and it is fun, but it's a really high sunburn to track time ratio and way less beer drinking and BSing.
    Funny you mentioned it...I took my BMW street car to the Houston SCCA AX on Sunday and ran on 300TW street tires. We got 5 runs, it was a riot...not the same amount of driving or excitement as a track/race weekend but also consisted of 20mins of car prep. I was done by 1pm so plenty of time left in the day to drink beer...
    Daniel Records
    CMC # 34