Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Future of CMC: A wish list

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries

Future of CMC: A wish list

It's Monday, I'm sore as hell and just got done racing in a whopping 4 car (only 2 finished) field and a new set of Toyos that are toast after busting my ass all month to get the car ready, and have some thoughts

-Ours cars are getting old, falling apart, good parts/support are hard to find, and not everyone is going to run an LS 4th gen
    -Toyo RRs suck
    -Other classes are coming up and growing while we're having <7 driver events and getting crammed into other race groups; we're quickly becoming the lemons/chump of nasa with our unpresentable cars and constant complaining.

How about we bring back CMC2 and let the 5th gens and S197s run in it with a CMC type formula, on Nitto NT01s, and let us all transition to that over a few years?

In the meantime how about we:
    -Open up ignition control rules so 5.0 mustangs and LT1s can run coil near plug setups
    -Have a serious discussion about Nitto NT01s and floating that up the chain at NASA. The azenis test was cool and all, but with Nitto being a sister/subsidiary to Toyo and very much looking like its the original RA1 compound, I think we may have a better shot at switching to that rather than anything else

For me, hopefully after this season I will finally have finished my build list I started in 2012; could mean I can enjoy just driving/maintaining the car or sell it while the car is at it's peak.
    Last edited by Pranav; 05-06-2019 at 11:01 AM.

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    The Maxxis RC-1 is a better choice and is already a contingency sponsor for the ST classes.

Blog Entries
    Didn't know that; so NASA has no issue with spec classes running non Toyos?

Blog Entries
    I also legimately predict at least one of us is going to lose a car at TMS this year.

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Quote Originally Posted by Pranav View Post
    Didn't know that; so NASA has no issue with spec classes running non Toyos?
    No idea. I just know in ST/TT you can run either Maxxis RC1 or a Hoosier.

Quote Originally Posted by Pranav View Post
    I also legimately predict at least one of us is going to lose a car at TMS this year.
    AFAIK the spec tire classes as NASA use Toyos. Non-spec tire classes sometimes have multiple tire contingencies available.

- Josh
    CMC #50

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I don't think the cars are too old but the tire issue sucks and is part of what is killing our class (IMHO). Losing TWS has done more to hurt our class than all the shitty tires in the world. Going from racing a very fun track for $300.00-$350.00 entry fee two times per year to running one track one time for $1200.00 you are going to lose racers in a what is supposed to be a low cost class. We need ECR back on line for one or maybe even two races per year.

JJ

Blog Entries
    I know few pay attention to what I type. But again - NASA has several classes with tire sponsors paying contingencies other than Toyo. In AIX/ST they have several tire sponsors but Maxis isn't one of them. Reminder in AIX you can run whatever tire you want. I actually thought Sook would be one who reads the posts since he was deep into testing the Falkens, too.

Jerry is right. TWS hurt and COTA at $1,200 isn't for our class (though all classes were pretty down). The tires are really hurting our class! ECR would be a big help.

NASA just emailed a survey which starts off asking about TIRES! And just for Kevin Jander I ranked the lowest lap time at the bottom of the order.

Pranav-anyone at COTA running old tires?
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Blog Entries
    I don't think the cars are too old either. Look at Miata and Spec E30 then the new class Spec E46 has the same year of cars as my Camaro.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    This is my 11th year racing CMC splitting driving time with Jay. Last year and this year are the first times I have ever heard CMC drivers talking about running a different class. I know of four drivers thinking about running a different class. This is not good.

JJ