Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Future of CMC: A wish list

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Aiight... somebody raise the truce flag and let's do some "state of the union" chatting at Hallett.

Some of us are already time and money limited, but I agree about trying to interact more with the other groups. That said, I know we'be been the hangout-together-dinner-drink group since I joined the fray. Not saying it couldn't be more inclusive, but I'll listen if somebody wants to discuss whether we moved, or the surrounding people moved.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    #7 Last season we had an event, last run of Saturday, where we racers took HPDE or whatever drivers for a ride in our race prepped cars at full race pace. There was side by side action, tires in the dirt, the whole 9. It was great, every single person got out of the passenger face with a huge smile, and the newer drivers' minds were especially blown not only by what a car feels like driven at full speed, but also how it felt to be in such proximity at that speed to other cars. That's how you set the hook. We were nose to tail, door to door with passengers. I even gave a Spec Z a push start, and because it wasn't a race and egos weren't on the line neither was the risk. We need to do it again this year, my last passenger was a fully licensed Spec Miata driver and the first was an HPDE1 student. The whole point was to set the hook. Last November, post season, we had a CMC test and tune day. We did lead follow, drove the rookies' cars, gave feedback, checked alignments, springs, swaybars, track width, etc. It can be tough to drag people out on a non-NASA weekend, I tried another in the Spring time and nobody's car was ready so as long as people end the season with a healthy car, I'd say do it either mid-season or post-season.
    RM CMC Director

Senior Member Rookie chris-CMC#35's Avatar
    That's okay David - I've gone back to my corner... ;-)

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chris-CMC#35 View Post
    That's okay David - I've gone back to my corner...
    Dude, I'll say it in front of everybody - I think you've been a fantastic voice in this deal.

I was just trying to say it is always much more productive when we all sit around face to face and talk this stuff out.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Rookie
    As someone that is new to all this and the group, here is my .02.

First thing that attracted me to cmc was the cars then the people. While you do have to kind of search out the group its not like anyone is hiding. When I was looking for more info on cmc I found it interesting that the forums are not part of nasa. Facebook presence was next to nothing, I know Daniel is working on that. I don't see this as any different than say SM. Except I see more of the SM guys at dinner that nasa holds.

Everyone in NASA should be ambassadors for our sport. And just about everyone can do more to welcome new people or bring positive attention to what we are doing.

I go to the nasa dinners not for the food but to hang out with others that enjoy this sport. Even though I am terrible as social endeavors.

See everyone in a few days!

Senior Member Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Supercharged111 View Post
    #7 Last season we had an event, last run of Saturday, where we racers took HPDE or whatever drivers for a ride in our race prepped cars at full race pace. There was side by side action, tires in the dirt, the whole 9. It was great, every single person got out of the passenger face with a huge smile, and the newer drivers' minds were especially blown not only by what a car feels like driven at full speed, but also how it felt to be in such proximity at that speed to other cars. That's how you set the hook. We were nose to tail, door to door with passengers. I even gave a Spec Z a push start, and because it wasn't a race and egos weren't on the line neither was the risk. We need to do it again this year, my last passenger was a fully licensed Spec Miata driver and the first was an HPDE1 student. The whole point was to set the hook. Last November, post season, we had a CMC test and tune day. We did lead follow, drove the rookies' cars, gave feedback, checked alignments, springs, swaybars, track width, etc. It can be tough to drag people out on a non-NASA weekend, I tried another in the Spring time and nobody's car was ready so as long as people end the season with a healthy car, I'd say do it either mid-season or post-season.
    This is a great idea. Logistically not easy but a great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Supercharged111 View Post
    Just a small piece of info from the east coast that might be worth discussing with your directors.

The powers in our region will occasionally let some of the more veteran racers take a prospective driver/racer out for an HPDE session to "show them the ropes". It depends on how "full" the session is and it kinda sucks getting back into the car after your race is over but as you guys know, it really hooks the newbies. The good part is it doesn't cost us anything and we're already there! (it's not a separate event). Event before last I was one of 3 CMC racers that took passengers out during HPDE4. We discussed dedicated passing zones among us and really ran nose-tail giving the guys a hell of a ride. In 2.5 years we've attracted 6 new racers and have another guy who hopes to get his license this fall.

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Blog Entries
    Here's a wild idea...what if we picked an event and asked will to include it in the event advertisement where we charged some $$ value for a ride in a CMC car that would get donated to a not for profit charity? Probably would be fun for wives/interested spectators/crewmembers to see a track at speed and do some good as well as get folks interested in the series.
    Last edited by drecords; 06-05-2019 at 12:39 PM.
    Daniel Records
    CMC # 34

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Just noticed for Hallett they are now charging for the food, I usually have my family at the track and we like going out to eat depending on what track we are at so we don't usually participate in the NASA food event.

I also notice the AI/CMC group has been the most friendly in general and more of a family feeling from my perspective. It would be good to tour different NASA regions to see how they are doing things and how everyone gets along.

I think the ride along idea is great if it's something that could be managed.
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

I got hooked during a ride along in Richard's AI car. The only real issue is the logistics of doing ride alongs on a race weekend, probably doable with enough forward planning though. I don't want to put a bunch of extra time on my race tires, but I usually have a set of junkers with me. I also will hop into safe passenger seats to give pointers.

On an instructional weekend I'll drive a different passenger every session with some wheel-wheel action, I've helped my friend Craig help sell a bunch of Miatas off his List that way.

- Josh
    CMC #50