Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Future of CMC: A wish list

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanL View Post
    What class did spec vette run in?
    There were 9 Spec Vettes and they ran in ST2. The regular ST2 cars gridded with the other ST classes while the Spec Vettes had their own green at the back of the pack. Times are at http://timingscoring.drivenasa.com although it's a little hard to tell because not even all the Corvettes in ST2 are Spec Corvettes. The best time I saw was 3 seconds faster than the CMC pole. The racing looked really good and close on track but the best lap times don't really support that it was that close...

On the Spec Corvette facebook they are claiming they are getting 5-6 events out of a set of tires. Based on what I've seen in tire wear, that's completely believable. Are thy going that long without a degradation in lap times? No clue.

Richard P.
    Last edited by RichardP; 05-07-2019 at 12:05 PM.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanL View Post
    Records is right about not hitting the panic button. I know of a couple other CMC cars that should be for sale this summer that haven't been raced for years could help.
    I don't think there is any reason to panic. There are still lots of CMC cars in region. They just aren't coming out to race regularly. This is much different than California where all of the CMC cars have been sold off.

Richard P.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardP View Post
    I don't think there is any reason to panic. There are still lots of CMC cars in region. They just aren't coming out to race regularly. This is much different than California where all of the CMC cars have been sold off.

Richard P.
    The difference to me in today and back when we had the old RA1 (taller and narrower) is COST. We ran six events per year all in or between DFW and Houston (other than Hallett). Two races were at TWS in the perfect location. Four hours from DFW, two hours from the Austin area and around an hour for the Houston guys. Cost was low for travel and for tires. I have no idea if it was true but the fastest guys claim to run on "thin to wins". Maybe that was all BS? But there was no NOLA or TMS or COTA on the schedule. Other than cost why are so many with cars staying home?

JJ

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    I think it's universally agreed that we have to do something about the tires to really let this class continue to sustain and grow, and to a certain extent our region does not have enough in-state events to be fun. It's shitty that NOLA takes place of a second MSRH or MSRC.

I like running at COTA but not at $1199; my expectation is that the price drops next year or it gets off the calendar for something else that would get more attendance.

Us houston folk have it the hardest in that everything outside of one MSRH is a haul with exception to NOLA that no one wants to go t

Not sure what to think about TMS but again watching our breakage rates, I am worried for some of you guys running TMS at full tilt and am now myself on the fence about that event for safety concerns.

I guess I'm not sure where I was going with this thread, but it's frustrating to watch a starting pack of 6 cars whittle itself down to 2 in a 3 race weekend and I'm just watching everyone break random stuff like I used to when I first started in my early years, before I went nuclear on my car; after I get my floor professionally welded and do the fuel cell this summer its going to be really solid.

My suggestion about the newer cars was just giving us a long term clean sheet option but as was said earlier we failed with spec iron; what killed that class? Shocks or not enough cost limits?

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Don't let my comments about the s197/cmc2 fool anyone; after I pickup the red roller Glenn caged a long time ago, I have almost enough spares to build a second CMC car. Pretty committed to the class and the 4th gen LS, but just frustrated when I barely have anyone to race against sometimes due to mechanical attrition or a lack of interest in the event.

I guess this is a combo Toyo tires and NASA Texas venue choice/price issue.

Quote Originally Posted by 64GunPilot View Post
    I really hope the class holds together.
    I don't think the class is going anywhere for quite a while.

Bryan, I ran on three weekend old RRs for Saturday. I didn't get any good data though. I made some bad setup calls and the car was out of control all weekend. Bolting on new tires definitely helped, but I don't attribute any of the issues I had at COTA to tires.

- Josh
    CMC #50

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sook View Post
    I don't think the class is going anywhere for quite a while.

- Josh
    To me the class going away is not what this is about. I want to class to grow or at least be as big as it has ever been.

JJ

Quote Originally Posted by 64GunPilot View Post
    Would love some in car coaching if anyone has the time.
    I should be able to ride along at some point over the weekend.

- Josh
    CMC #50

Senior Member Rookie 64GunPilot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sook View Post
    I should be able to ride along at some point over the weekend.

- Josh
    Awesome!
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________
    -Dylan
    3rd Gen CMC Wannabee

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    My personal opinion and I did the survey including a note that they had my email and car class so "they" know who I am.

I know where 3 cars are which are best described currently as economic casualties. I expect 2 will be back in some form generally speaking.

Track location and tire costs are my biggest issues. I don't mind Houston. I don't mind Cresson it's just always fallen on our spring break. Can't WAIT TO GET ECR back. But WTH, why an event in Dallas in August?

If anything I would be in the camp to go back down to 230hp but with the LS cars I don't think that's reasonable.

The ruleset secret sauce is really pretty close platform wise - I know I don't have any seat or development time to complain about the rules.

My sense is it's just a season we're going through; now I gotta go start the Hallet Grub thread.... you guys wanna eat, right?
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!