Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Future of CMC: A wish list

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Well Maxxis doesn't appear to have a contingency this year. Oh well.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Whatever the causes (COTA being $$$, tires, cars breaking or not breaking) I just want my mid pack slackers back.

During race 3 John martin got past me in turn 1 and it became a 30 minute DE session for me because everyone else was gone and it was just me and my thoughts.

If I gotta start carrying mustang spares to get bigger fields again I'll make something work.

Senior Member Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post
    I don't think the cars are too old but the tire issue sucks and is part of what is killing our class (IMHO). Losing TWS has done more to hurt our class than all the shitty tires in the world. Going from racing a very fun track for $300.00-$350.00 entry fee two times per year to running one track one time for $1200.00 you are going to lose racers in a what is supposed to be a low cost class. We need ECR back on line for one or maybe even two races per year.

JJ
    I know I am not racing yet, but. ^This right here.

No way I will ever pay that much for anything other than nationals, period. If I was racing right now there is only 4 races a year I care to run. I don't want a 9 hour drive or over 1k to enter. Then add tire cost on to this.

We need to control costs where we can. Just my .02
    Last edited by centerville; 05-06-2019 at 06:02 PM.

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Blog Entries
    Idk if its time to hit the panic button yet. There is another fox under construction currently that should be racing next year. Then we have Mike and GunPilot who are looking like they'll be joining the race group soon. SE46 had 4 cars this weekend, CMC started the weekend with 5. Spec Vette was the surprise of the weekend car count wise but mostly due to the fact that their entire national car count showed up.
    Daniel Records
    CMC # 34

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    We gained 5 rookies in less than a year here in RM. Local management took a different approach and it seems to be favoring the race groups. Having another CMC class is not the answer, then you'll just split your car counts between 1 and 2. The newer cars aren't near as dirt cheap as these cars, and as previously pointed out Spec E30 and Spec Miata don't seem to have any trouble attracting people. I think the trouble we face is convincing people to try and take a corner in these buckets or like Bob Denton pointed out downgrading from a newer, faster car you've been DEing in. Dollar per lap time our 260whp stick axle dinosaurs do hustle pretty damn well.
    RM CMC Director

Senior Member Rookie
    1 cota race= 2.5 msrc, msrh, races. Simple economics for me.

I wonder what TMS will cost?

Junior Member Rookie
    I lived through CMC to CMC2 and back to CMC. I don't EVER want to do that again.

Cost is everything. The COTA event was too expensive. Just my opinion
    Bob Denton
    CMC #67
    Great Lakes Region

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Den34 View Post
    I lived through CMC to CMC2 and back to CMC. I don't EVER want to do that again.

Cost is everything. The COTA event was too expensive. Just my opinion
    I agree we don't need to split the class.

JJ

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    What class did spec vette run in? Curious what their lap times were and if anyone talked to them about their tires or how they held up at Cota? Were any races longer did they fall off during the race?

Already tried to bring in the S197's and lots of testing was done but the gap is too wide. There was a time when I thought everyone was going spec iron but that seems to have fizzled for Nasa and SCCA. I have looked at talked about ASedan racers as their limited prep is close to CMC or used to be until they allowed Spec Mustang and now can run an ASA cam/tuning for 385 rwhp (not the direction I want to go). Too bad if it could be an option like Miata's doing both nasa/scca. I think that is a huge lure for those cars since the classes are strong in both and you can run more events at the same tracks. But maybe an option to get some Asedan guys to come run with us?
    Jander-you are real interested in bringing new racers over and good with Will. What about doing some incentive program to give an SCCA ASedan racer half off entry to first NASA event?

Losing TWS hurt not just from having two events there a year but people doing other events, DE, etc. there helped NASA in my opinion. Getting ECR online and I'm thinking with the prep they are doing it should be a pretty good track.

Personally I lack interest in COTA at $1,200 and TMS for whatever it is in August. If I'm racing in August it will be in RM.

Records is right about not hitting the panic button. I know of a couple other CMC cars that should be for sale this summer that haven't been raced for years could help. A better schedule next year would help too.

The CMC ruleset not changing much for several years is huge as well. I am in favor of doing things that don't give advantages but provide better durability/dependability like allowing an option to replace the opti on LT1's.

But the biggest thing that we could help change or decide to change on our own is the tire issue. Find a tire as quick as the Falken that doesn't drop off for 3 events for under $1k for a set and the class improves no doubt in my mind. Only seems to be a few who argue that tires don't hurt our participation but it's not just showing up. It also hurts because a guy on an older set of tires knows he is going to be a second to seconds slower only due to tires and if on old tires you are going to have to work on setup changes that screw your car up when you put on new tires.

I think it would especially help new people looking at the series or who have just joined to be able to do more practice/DE days on the same tires we race on but not have to spend an extra few thousand that year to help get up to speed.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Senior Member Rookie 64GunPilot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by drecords View Post
    Idk if its time to hit the panic button yet. There is another fox under construction currently that should be racing next year. Then we have Mike and GunPilot who are looking like they'll be joining the race group soon. SE46 had 4 cars this weekend, CMC started the weekend with 5. Spec Vette was the surprise of the weekend car count wise but mostly due to the fact that their entire national car count showed up.
    DE'd at CMP (South Carolina) this weekend and graduated to HPDE3. So I will be seeing you guys at Hallett. Have now ran 3 track weekends (Roebling Road, Sebring, & CMP and having so much fun) Still a little ways to be comp license ready. Maybe next year (I deploy in October for 9 months).

I really hope the class holds together. I love my car, and I love the spirit of CMC (even though I haven't personally experienced it, you dont have to bite the apple to know its sweet).

See you guys at Hallett. Would love some in car coaching if anyone has the time.
    Last edited by 64GunPilot; 05-07-2019 at 11:27 AM.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________
    -Dylan
    3rd Gen CMC Wannabee